MrBreeze

NJDevils re-sign defenseman Adam Larsson to a six-year contract.

Compare Zajac's contract to other teams top centers on UFA contracts and Zajac's and you will see Zajac's contract is pretty good.  Plus like others have said in the past it's not like his contract is preventing others from being signed, so really this is all a moot point.

Bernier had a great season, but I bet anything it will go down as his career season.  Plus like others have also said he was not exactly going up against the other team's best and from what I remember he played a lot on the PP this year as well, something he didn't do in the past.

The funny thing is if Zajac hadn't been re-signed and had walked (for what would've been even more money, because GMs can never help themselves when it comes to UFAs), Lou would've probably gotten killed for that too.  Sometimes you take a pre-emptive strike and hope it works out.  Maybe Lou bid against himself a little, but probably not by that much.

And Tri is right in that centers are really hard to find.   

Zajac does offer more than just offense, but yeah, it does suck that his offense was borderline non-existent last season.  At this point, if he can turn in seasons like 2013-14 over the next few years, I'd be fine with that. 

And regardless of how it turns out with Larsson, I think this was a good hope-it-works out signing.  We know how it works:  sometimes you take a shot with one of your unproven homegrowns with upside and hope it's somewhere reasonably and extremely cost-effective, while the unproven gets more money and term upfront than might be justified.  The main thing to remember about these deals is to not judge them right away...sometimes it's not until Year 3 or 4 that they become relative bargains.

Top dollar?  His cap hit is like 27th in the league for centers and that number will go up, once a few more centers get new contracts.  We aren't a cap team, I have no issues with his contract.

I think what he was saying is we SHOULD pay for a top dollar center who will produce, not that Zajac is receiving top dollar. AT least I hope he was. I would agree its a good idea. 

I'm really happy they signed him LT, but we will not know if this is a good or bad deal till we see where Larsson is headed. If he continues to improve as he did in during the 2nd half of last year grat contract, if he reverts to PDB days, then awful..  its a wait and see thing...

Zajac's deal is frustrating, but it's not really a big deal unless you think the Devils will be contending and need the cap space for a better player.

Which doesn't seem to be the case..at all.  At least for a few years.

Zajac's deal is frustrating, but it's not really a big deal unless you think the Devils will be contending and need the cap space for a better player.

And who knows, Zajac might have talent to work with by then that better complements him and leads to an increase in his glamour numbers...and suddenly no one's complaining about his cap hit anymore.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think it's a great deal, it's an average deal at best for a player who has yet to prove himself for a full NHL season, has a career -2, and who had one strong season after many people were calling for his head a season prior. On the plus side, he's young and has lots of potential. But I don't think it's a "great" deal because you don't know what you are gonna get.

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.  Glad to see I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he has a ton of potential, and I think at this point it's looking like he can/might/should reach it, BUT, it's definitely an uncertainty.  I think locking him up for 6 years is a bit of a risk if he doesn't pan out.  I'm not gonna call it a bad deal by any means, but I don't think it's a "steal" just yet. 

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.  Glad to see I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he has a ton of potential, and I think at this point it's looking like he can/might/should reach it, BUT, it's definitely an uncertainty.  I think locking him up for 6 years is a bit of a risk if he doesn't pan out.  I'm not gonna call it a bad deal by any means, but I don't think it's a "steal" just yet. 

The bolded:  definitely not a steal yet, but the good thing is that at least it has the potential to be.  UFAs tend to be overpayments from Day 1 by default. 

When was the last time we lost a RFA? We literally had 0% chance of losing him here. And didn't we do a similar deal for Henrique a few years ago? Let's not go overboard with the subtle knocks on Lou..

Sorry I missed this - you're right, I phrased that poorly.  I didn't intend for that to come across as a shot at Lou.  Should've said something more along the lines of "I'm excited that we're building our foundation here by locking up our core long term".

I didn't intend to de-rail the thread when I asked my question.  I read on NHL.com mailbag article with Dan Rosen.  He argued that the first thing for the Devils need to do is acquire a no.1 center.  I wouldn't have disagreed completely, but Zajac has the ability to play in the top 6 and perform.  Zajac is our number one center on a "bad" day or our 2nd or 3rd center on a "good" day I guess would be the best way to classify him.  All of that being said, moving on now.  

Funny thing is.... one guy asked a little side question the other day adding "i dont want to derail this discussion" and he got jumped on for it eventhough it was basically on topic and a really small question.

And now this Larsson contract turned into a few pages of is Zajac a good or bad deal and the same people who jumped on that other guy for slightly derailing another discussion just join that discussion like there's no problem doing it lol

is it kind of like cops are off duties just wearing regular clothing? They don't really have to do anything unless they want to or? How does that work?

Funny thing is.... one guy asked a little side question the other day adding "i dont want to derail this discussion" and he got jumped on for it eventhough it was basically on topic and a really small question.

And now this Larsson contract turned into a few pages of is Zajac a good or bad deal and the same people who jumped on that other guy for slightly derailing another discussion just join that discussion like there's no problem doing it lol

is it kind of like cops are off duties just wearing regular clothing? They don't really have to do anything unless they want to or? How does that work?

We do drift off topic lately but then it is summer. I did get your point and I know the reference you referred to.

We do drift off topic lately but then it is summer. I did get your point and I know the reference you referred to.

personally i dont care at all even if discussions are derailed a bit lol thats how discussions usually go in real life anyway. 

personally i dont care at all even if discussions are derailed a bit lol thats how discussions usually go in real life anyway.

Trust me I know what your too was.BTW I agree with you.

Actually, though Zajac has been brought up a lot, the better comparison (as far as the kind of contract Larsson signed) would be Henrique.  A deal where both sides take a risk, based on the player getting some fairly big money right away, and the team hoping he'll be playing below his market value roughly halfway into the deal. 

As the breakdown is 2015-16: $2.5 million. 2016-17: $3 million. 2017-18: $4.5 million. 2018-19: $4.85 million. 2019-20: $5.05 million. 2020-21: $5.1 million that's a pretty reasonable deal imo. Especially when you compare his $2.5 mil next year to what the likes of Clowe, Ruutu & Zubrus will be earning.

Yep, $11+ million down the drain each year for 3 players that don't even belong in the NHL anymore.

Good for Adam Larson... easily an excellent contract and amicale for both sides and the Devils future is looking brighter.

I know what you are referencing and I whole-heartedly agree. But the difference is that we want to include others in the discussion.  Some random new poster could click on this thread about Larsson and want to make a comment, but then reads more than half of it is about Zajac.  They could 1) think we are a bunch of crazy people or 2) not feel comfortable trying to bring the conversation back to what it should be about and doesn't post at all.  I have contribute to derailing just as much as everyone, but then everyone complains about extra threads that aren't "worthy" of being threads.  No one is going to be pleased, I would personally rather have no derailings and more threads that aren't that interesting me some people.

Well that thread got further derailed by people discussing behavior of other members in relation to the thread policing. You can pretend to be watching from afar, but in many ways isn't your comment just as detrimental to staying on topic as the "off duty cops"?

:)

Edited by Martyisth3b3st

Sterio:  I'll address this because you are going to spend the rest of your time on this board sniping at me, apparently, though I fully welcome the obsession you have, and it's cool and good that you like making posts to someone who has you on ignore and doesn't really engage with you at all.  The Zajac discussion grew out of the Larsson discussion.  I don't like that it happened, but it's the summer and that's going to happen - that's the nature of threads.  If this board had stricter moderation, I wouldn't do it, or else the mod would pull out this discussion and stick it somewhere else.  If I were a moderator I would've kicked this thread back on topic, but since I'm not and there are 3 guys here who disagree with anything non-hockey I feel the temerity to express, why would I do that?  Regardless, it's not some poster asking 'What are the details of Zajac's contract?' in this thread - that is purposefully derailing the thread because he's too dumb and impolite to search the Internet for it.  This came out of the idea of long-term contracts.

Since you obviously realize from your follow up post that you don't mind derails, and you have derailed a million threads before this with the 3 things you like to talk about, it's exceptionally weird that you are taking this position.  But it's not weird considering that I took a contrary position.  Try having your own opinions on things.

Edited by Triumph

Well that thread got further derailed by people discussing behavior of other members in relation to the thread policing. You can pretend to be watching from afar, but in many ways isn't your comment just as detrimental to staying on topic as the "off duty cops"?

:)

lol i get what you're saying. But bottom line what i mean is... it's no big deal lol this place is awesome and sure its better when things are all organized and all but it's just a message board and people comes here to be entertained. We're not the front page of a huge news site where everything has to be flawless and serious lol

and of course im a part of it too and that's the point. I know i can derail threads sometimes. So im not gonna go and bash people for doing it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Anyway, back on topic.

Larsson's production last year was a bit flukey. He was in on a extraordinary amount of Devils goals while he was on the ice. I think he generates a higher shooting percentage, due to his vision, but not to the extent that we saw last year.

Will be interesting to see if he gets PP time. Gelinas, Severson, Merrill and Moore appear have the inside track and I suspect Larsson and Greene will do most of the heavy lifting on the PK

Anyway, back on topic.

Larsson's production last year was a bit flukey. He was in on a extraordinary amount of Devils goals while he was on the ice. I think he generates a higher shooting percentage, due to his vision, but not to the extent that we saw last year.

Will be interesting to see if he gets PP time. Gelinas, Severson, Merrill and Moore appear have the inside track and I suspect Larsson and Greene will do most of the heavy lifting on the PK

Sterio:  I'll address this because you are going to spend the rest of your time on this board sniping at me, apparently, though I fully welcome the obsession you have, and it's cool and good that you like making posts to someone who has you on ignore and doesn't really engage with you at all.  The Zajac discussion grew out of the Larsson discussion.  I don't like that it happened, but it's the summer and that's going to happen - that's the nature of threads.  If this board had stricter moderation, I wouldn't do it, or else the mod would pull out this discussion and stick it somewhere else.  If I were a moderator I would've kicked this thread back on topic, but since I'm not and there are 3 guys here who disagree with anything non-hockey I feel the temerity to express, why would I do that?  Regardless, it's not some poster asking 'What are the details of Zajac's contract?' in this thread - that is purposefully derailing the thread because he's too dumb and impolite to search the Internet for it.  This came out of the idea of long-term contracts.

Since you obviously realize from your follow up post that you don't mind derails, and you have derailed a million threads before this with the 3 things you like to talk about, it's exceptionally weird that you are taking this position.  But it's not weird considering that I took a contrary position.  Try having your own opinions on things.

I hope you guys don't mind I go a little more off topic.  But I just found it interesting of how Tri is so critical of moding but is also at very least a contributor and at most a perpetrator of thread derailment:  when and why was he no longer a mod?  I see him say things like he just said and then SM finally jumps in to get the thread on track (again, I apologize for not getting it on track) but it is an interest for those who weren't specifically enveloped in the forum for so long.

I will try to make a point to make it a little on topic.  I do feel like Larsson can easily make this contract tolerable, but Larsson seems to be a little soft for me.  He is more of a Jack Johnson than a Victor Hedman.  Although, I will say he can still be either one of those two, I just personally the feeling that he is the former.

Triumph and a few others were made Mods of the chat feature here on this site.  To be honest I am not sure if the chat room here is still active or if it even exists anymore.  Regardless him and a few others have "Mod" in their title but do not have Mod rights in the general forums.

Right now the only three posters that I know that have Mod rights here are DM, msweet and Rowdy.

I hope you guys don't mind I go a little more off topic.  But I just found it interesting of how Tri is so critical of moding but is also at very least a contributor and at most a perpetrator of thread derailment:  when and why was he no longer a mod?  I see him say things like he just said and then SM finally jumps in to get the thread on track (again, I apologize for not getting it on track) but it is an interest for those who weren't specifically enveloped in the forum for so long.

I will try to make a point to make it a little on topic.  I do feel like Larsson can easily make this contract tolerable, but Larsson seems to be a little soft for me.  He is more of a Jack Johnson than a Victor Hedman.  Although, I will say he can still be either one of those two, I just personally the feeling that he is the former.

If you're referring to Larsson being soft regarding physicality, I thought he actually made a big jump this past season in the physical part of the game, he played a lot meaner and more physical against opposing forwards. And also Jack Johnson is a much more physical player than Hedman, again if that's what you're referring to, Johnson had 157 Hits last season compared to Hedman's 51 Hits.

for me Larsson is still young and so far to me until further notice... he'll be a slightly above average NHLer. He did show he could be more at time but he also showed he could be less so im still not decided but at that price and for that long. No problem at all with that contract