MrBreeze

NJDevils re-sign defenseman Adam Larsson to a six-year contract.

If you're referring to Larsson being soft regarding physicality, I thought he actually made a big jump this past season in the physical part of the game, he played a lot meaner and more physical against opposing forwards. And also Jack Johnson is a much more physical player than Hedman, again if that's what you're referring to, Johnson had 157 Hits last season compared to Hedman's 51 Hits.

I totally agree.  I think this last season especially, he's become tougher to play against.  Whether or not that was the influence of Stevens is yet to be seen, however, imagine a more physical Hedman as our number 1 defender.  A Johnson-Hedman hybrid if you will.  

Anyway, back on topic.

Larsson's production last year was a bit flukey. He was in on a extraordinary amount of Devils goals while he was on the ice. I think he generates a higher shooting percentage, due to his vision, but not to the extent that we saw last year.

Will be interesting to see if he gets PP time. Gelinas, Severson, Merrill and Moore appear have the inside track and I suspect Larsson and Greene will do most of the heavy lifting on the PK

I think Larsson could see PP team over Merrill, I think he's a better offensive player than Merrill.  I think the Devils envision him as a 23-24 minute a game guy.  I wish they had 4 PK D and 4 PP D, we'll see if that's how they go about - last year they tended to use 3 on the PK until the coaching change when I think they switched to 4.

I hope you guys don't mind I go a little more off topic.  But I just found it interesting of how Tri is so critical of moding but is also at very least a contributor and at most a perpetrator of thread derailment:  when and why was he no longer a mod?  I see him say things like he just said and then SM finally jumps in to get the thread on track (again, I apologize for not getting it on track) but it is an interest for those who weren't specifically enveloped in the forum for so long.

I will try to make a point to make it a little on topic.  I do feel like Larsson can easily make this contract tolerable, but Larsson seems to be a little soft for me.  He is more of a Jack Johnson than a Victor Hedman.  Although, I will say he can still be either one of those two, I just personally the feeling that he is the former.

I was never a mod.  I was the moderator of the chat room once upon a time, as were several other posters whose names appear in gold.  That room no longer operates the same way.  That title has never been removed, which creates confusion like this.  

As for derailments, I also am not perfect, and never claimed to be. I respond when I see something I want to talk about, and that will often lead me astray.  Sometimes I'll derail the thread by bringing something tiny up and someone will respond to that and a new discussion will come of that.  It's bound to happen.  On other boards these threads are either removed, merged into other threads, spun out into new threads, or people are told to stop.   Here, they lead to boring discussions like this and posters sniping at each other.

Edited by Triumph

I think Larsson could see PP team over Merrill, I think he's a better offensive player than Merrill.  I think the Devils envision him as a 23-24 minute a game guy.  I wish they had 4 PK D and 4 PP D, we'll see if that's how they go about - last year they tended to use 3 on the PK until the coaching change when I think they switched to 4.

If you arent using Merrill on the PP, then you have to use him on the PK. I dont recall him being particularly strong shorthanded

If you arent using Merrill on the PP, then you have to use him on the PK. I dont recall him being particularly strong shorthanded

Who would you use otherwise? I've said it before when we signed Moore, but the PK is a concern for me. Honestly I don't fully trust any of our D there other than Greene. 

My guess would be

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

I'd also think Hynes goes with 4 forwards on the PP with some rotation of Severson, Gelinas and Moore as the fifth.

Who would you use otherwise? I've said it before when we signed Moore, but the PK is a concern for me. Honestly I don't fully trust any of our D there other than Greene. 

My guess would be

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

I'd also think Hynes goes with 4 forwards on the PP with some rotation of Severson, Gelinas and Moore as the fifth.

Hmm, I think we could see some Hrabarenka or Helgeson on the PK with Greener, especially if Larsson/Merril/Severson is going to see more PP time.  So I'd say Moore or whoever that is that 6th dman is going to catch some PK time.  I don't think Moore is known for being a solid PK'er,but his defensive play is apparently very very good.  I remember thinking that he sucked something terribly when he was a Rangers. lol

If you're referring to Larsson being soft regarding physicality, I thought he actually made a big jump this past season in the physical part of the game, he played a lot meaner and more physical against opposing forwards. And also Jack Johnson is a much more physical player than Hedman, again if that's what you're referring to, Johnson had 157 Hits last season compared to Hedman's 51 Hits.

Johnson is also a garbage defenseman who never has the puck. Not to mention how garbage of a stat hits is. 

Larsson just seemed less soft because he was more in position to make better defensive plays and didn't get laid out like in years past.

Oh, I meant mentally actually.  I just used those two as examples because they were highly touted high draft picks.  One was a disappointment and the other is just blossoming now.  I hate the concept of pointing at one moment because it never is just that one thing, but PK Subban's hit on him really showed me that he was still pretty weak-minded.

Physicality isn't as necessary anymore.  I'll really like our defense once Santini comes up.  He can be the one pit bull we need to clear the crease.

Larsson isnt the most physical, however he made big strides in using his size last year, particularly behind the net..hopefully we see more in front of the net

on zajac, the main disapointment I saw last year was his complete lack of chemistry with cam, they never really clicked..which stinks!

As others have said, stellar value for Larsson, especially if he continues to improve. I'll be getting a new Larsson jersey this season for sure now

Me too. This kid is going to be great in the next year or so