Zubrus to be bought out.

DevilMinder

Figured it out, was a Rich Chere tweet. So just wrong beat writer.

Lol so it was Chere  SD just accidentally misquoted. Realize too how Chere didn't give a direct quote there? Lovely reporter he's become. It all makes sense now.

I'm certainly not saying that a trade isn't going to happen soon, but it's important to point out that there was no imminence implied in Shero's actual quotes, especially to TG. Though, the article by Chere that CR76 posted certainly adds some context.

Lol so it was Chere  SD just accidentally misquoted. Realize too how Chere didn't give a direct quote there? Lovely reporter he's become. It all makes sense now.

I'm certainly not saying that a trade isn't going to happen soon, but it's important to point out that there was no imminence implied in Shero's actual quotes, especially to TG. Though, the article by Chere that CR76 posted certainly adds some context.

ahhhh damn sorry that's on me then. But yeah i still just copy pasted a quote haha still didnt blow anything out of proportion. But since it was wrote by Chere... it was already blown out of proportion obviously lol

New young coach that isn't a retread

No Ryder

No Havlat

No Gomez (nothing against him, he did more than ever could've been expected, but I thought it would've been a mistake to expect anything approaching a repeat of that)

No Salvador

No Bernier

No Harrold

No Sestito

No Zubrus

I'm with you.  Like that there's going to be new blood, that the young D will be getting continued on-the-job training, and that the Devils will start to find out what guys like Boucher and Matteau might bring.  And that the deadwood pile is getting mulched.

That's a big turnover and what if the new guys just don't pan out?  I can see Palmieri being alright and Zacha being alright, but what if Boucher and Matteau just don't work at all?  What if Josefson is nothing more than a 4th liner?  What if the guys we signed on FA contracts from Europe like Kalinin don't work out?

Wonder what his backup plan be if that's the case.  I don't expect the Devils to make the playoffs this coming season or even really the season after but I fear we might end up just in a holding pattern for a bit.

That's a big turnover and what if the new guys just don't pan out?  I can see Palmieri being alright and Zacha being alright, but what if Boucher and Matteau just don't work at all?  What if Josefson is nothing more than a 4th liner?  What if the guys we signed on FA contracts from Europe like Kalinin don't work out?

Wonder what his backup plan be if that's the case.  I don't expect the Devils to make the playoffs this coming season or even really the season after but I fear we might end up just in a holding pattern for a bit.

If they don't pan out then at least we know to move on and replace them instead of keeping them in the AHL as "what ifs". Finding out whether they're capable of being NHLers or what their future roles could be is the actual important part here.

Good move. It's gonna be a weird season. Good in a lot of ways -- we needed a rebuild, and it'll be more interesting to watch the kids than the washed up vets whose skills we already knew. That said, a lot of the guys I liked and supported are gonna now. Really, Greene and Elias are the only ones I really love now. Nothing against Lars, Schneids, and the kids, but it's been awhile since we've had this many new faces.

No Ryder

No Havlat

No Gomez (nothing against him, he did more than ever could've been expected, but I thought it would've been a mistake to expect anything approaching a repeat of that)

No Salvador

No Bernier

No Harrold

No Sestito

No Zubrus

I'm with you.  Like that there's going to be new blood, that the young D will be getting continued on-the-job training, and that the Devils will start to find out what guys like Boucher and Matteau might bring.  And that the deadwood pile is getting mulched.

When you lay it out like that, it really becomes clear that its like a half a new team, at least on one side of the ice.

I'd rather see whatever will happen this season than what we all knew was going to happen last season. I didn't watch a lot of games other than Devils games until the playoffs, but once I did, it was evident that we were playing at a much slower speed than the elite teams. Hopefully that will change for the better. 

We already knew just about ALL of the guys on that list weren't going to pan out.  Is there anyone on that list that you can say you really wanted back?  Me neither (though I can see a mild case being made for Gomez).   

What's good is that we're going to find out about some of these younger guys one way or the other.  I'll admit it, I'm expecting next to nothing from Boucher at the NHL level, but it'd be nice to start getting some conclusive data to support that idea.  I'd rather that than Boucher spending another 60+ games in the AHL and putting up 20 or so goals and 40 or so points.  He'll be 22 in September and has played 115 AHL games and 34 NHL games the past two years.  He's still a little young, but does he have much left to do in the A?  Let's start to find out now if there's anything worth looking forward to with him.  Maybe see if Thompson has anything at the NHL level.  I doubt he does, but with this Devils season not expected to be good, might as well confirm it.      

Wow. I wonder how that's going to sit with long timers like Elias and Greene

As it has been already said, Elias is either here until the Trade Deadline (because he's playing well enough to be wanted by others) or he's here until the end of the season (because he's not playing well enough to be wanted by others)....in any event, this is Elias' last year here.

As for Greene, he's just happy to be in the NHL

i just did the math... we went from 29.6 to 27.2 in average age from last year

and lost one hot wife !

No Ryder

No Havlat

No Salvador

No Bernier

No Harrold

No Sestito

No Zubrus

I'm with you. Like that there's going to be new blood, that the young D will be getting continued on-the-job training, and that the Devils will start to find out what guys like Boucher and Matteau might bring. And that the deadwood pile is getting mulched.

This is just.. So refreshing and really exciting.

Change is always scary, but the Devils' old brand had grown rather stale imo.

Even if it doesn't 100% pan out, at least change and progress is being made.

Finally we have something to look forward to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not to beat a dead horse, but Shero is doing what needed to be done. If Lou was still GM none of these changes would be happening. He was still under the belief that we were only two top 6 forwards away from competing and would have stuck with Zubrus, Harrold, Gomez, Clowe and the remaining vets till the wheels fell off.

Not to beat a dead horse, but beating a dead horse is pretty cool, actually, and I'm gonna keep doing it

Makes sense.

Anyway the thing is that if NJ gets another forward, which Shero alluded to, they're really not putting any young players in positions of huge prominence.  Josefson's offense might falter as 3rd line center but he can at least keep up with the game.  LW still has Cammalleri, Elias, and Ruutu.  So it's just 8 guys competing for 4 spots and you should be able to get someone who can at least be not-horrible (which is all they're looking for) for those.  Now if there's injuries that all changes.

I really don't think that Shero is under any sort of illusion that any of these young forwards are more likely to be top 6 guys than not, namely Josefson and Matteau, and I'm sure he doesn't expect Boucher to be a top liner. I don't think any of the moves he's made this offseason to drop deadwood contradicts that either. It's more "Why keep them on the roster?" than "Let's get rid of them so we can throw these young stars on the first line."

People are buying way too much into this whole "I want to see more of the young players..." thing from Shero. Let's not over exaggerate the roles they are going to have. At least from his quotes, Shero seems to get the situation at forward, and knows it's going to take a few drafts to turn it around.

Edited by Neb00rs

There's obviously two steps to this rebuild, getting rid of non-working parts and replacing them with working parts. Its nice if you can do both at the same time, but at least Shero is getting rid of those players that we know have been ineffective. 

Lou probably wasn't wrong with the 2 top 6 forwards away thing. That's 33% of the group you expect to produce most of your offensive numbers. Add two top 6 forwards to any non playoff team, chances are they're now a playoff team. Problem is is that top 6 forwards don't grow on shrubs

Great quote at the end:

"Obviously Zubrus isn't the biggest reason for New Jersey's struggles - not even close - and age surely factors in, but he is part of it."

This is exactly right. Having 12 forwards on your 4 lines, and at least 6-7 of them are failing to perform to expectation...now THAT is a problem.