Zubrus to be bought out.

DevilMinder

Great quote at the end:

"Obviously Zubrus isn't the biggest reason for New Jersey's struggles - not even close - and age surely factors in, but he is part of it."

This is exactly right. Having 12 forwards on your 4 lines, and at least 6-7 of them are failing to perform to expectation...now THAT is a problem. 

I'm surprised that article didn't close out out with, "maybe Gelinas could be moved to bring in another forward to help remedy the situation."

There's obviously two steps to this rebuild, getting rid of non-working parts and replacing them with working parts. Its nice if you can do both at the same time, but at least Shero is getting rid of those players that we know have been ineffective. 

The key word is rebuild.  What has been built so far?  I agree most of these moves had to be made and Zubrus was at the top of them, but he isn't adding any value to the team.  I'm still waiting to see what Shero does with this "roster flexibility" because right now it looks like an obvious tank job.  Again, not saying that Zubrus was a difference between rebuild and tank, it's about all of the moves not really leading to overall constructive progress so far.

The key word is rebuild.  What has been built so far?  I agree most of these moves had to be made and Zubrus was at the top of them, but he isn't adding any value to the team.  I'm still waiting to see what Shero does with this "roster flexibility" because right now it looks like an obvious tank job.  Again, not saying that Zubrus was a difference between rebuild and tank, it's about all of the moves not really leading to overall constructive progress so far.

Maybe you should realize that this takes time?  You can't always fill up a room with new furniture when the carpet's still filthy and there's a smelly ripped sectional taking up space.  This is going to happen in steps.  He's not necessarily going to use his flexibility according to your Veruca Salt timetable.     

Maybe you should realize that this takes time?  You can't always fill up a room with new furniture when the carpet's still filthy and there's a smelly ripped sectional taking up space.  This is going to happen in steps.  He's not necessarily going to use his flexibility according to your Veruca Salt timetable.     

I'd at least expect NHL players.  Not AHL and KHL players.  Again, I'm still waiting for the trade, which Shero has eluded to.  I'm hoping it's Ruutu and whatever for a RW that can at least handle offensive minutes.  I'll be happy with Shero if that's something he is looking at.  Looking at the team now, I'm penciling in O'Brien and Kalinin.  That is a tank job.

I'd at least expect NHL players.  Not AHL and KHL players.  Again, I'm still waiting for the trade, which Shero has eluded to.  I'm hoping it's Ruutu and whatever for a RW that can at least handle offensive minutes.  I'll be happy with Shero if that's something he is looking at.  Looking at the team now, I'm penciling in O'Brien and Kalinin.  That is a tank job.

There's probably one more guy coming and then that's it.  They do not intend to use Kalinin or O'Brien in serious offensive minutes.  With Zubrus gone, there's 8 forwards from last year's team (Henrique, Elias, Zajac, Cammalleri, Ruutu, Tootoo, Gionta, Josefson), plus Palmieri.  That's 9, a new guy would make 10, Matteau makes 11, and then there's 2-3 spots up for grabs between 6 or 7 players, and none of those spots would be significant right away.

Who do you want them to get?? More old guys or guys that were over-paid?? Good teams are built through the draft

I really don't think it's fair to say that Shero has an intentional tank job going on here. The guy is making some smart moves that really needed to be done, he went out and scooped up palmieri to try to help out and I think he will try to grab one more guy through some kind of trade if he can do so with in reason.

I really don't think it's fair to say that Shero has an intentional tank job going on here. The guy is making some smart moves that really needed to be done, he went out and scooped up palmieri to try to help out and I think he will try to grab one more guy through some kind of trade if he can do so with in reason.

I'm not really about tanking, and I don't think that's something in the forefront of the mind of Shero.  Getting younger and then allowing the young players to take up the opportunities isn't necessarily tanking.  Young teams can still have success, but imho, younger teams struggle putting together consistent seasons and run the risk of have Toronto or Edmonton-like collapses. 

Who do you want them to get?? More old guys or guys that were over-paid?? Good teams are built through the draft

Plenty of guys could've made this team better.  The only one left probably is Tlusty.  You didn't want them to make the 6th worst team in the league last year that lost its best forward better?  Good teams build their team with smart drafting, key free agents and timely trades.  You need all three to stay good.

As opposed to playing Zubrus and Sestito?

Again, specifically said I didn't care for Zubrus and I didn't want AHL players.  In the very post you partly quoted I said the kind of thing I wanted Shero to do, none of which involving has-beens or never-wases.

There's probably one more guy coming and then that's it.  They do not intend to use Kalinin or O'Brien in serious offensive minutes.  With Zubrus gone, there's 8 forwards from last year's team (Henrique, Elias, Zajac, Cammalleri, Ruutu, Tootoo, Gionta, Josefson), plus Palmieri.  That's 9, a new guy would make 10, Matteau makes 11, and then there's 2-3 spots up for grabs between 6 or 7 players, and none of those spots would be significant right away.

I have Kalinin as a 3RW and O'Brien as the 4C with this team.  When they signed Kalinin, he talked about how, if he had to start in the AHL, he'd be ok with that, but I can't really see enough competition for him.  Honestly, even with the trade there won't be enough competition.  I only see 6-7 (generously) players that warrant top 9 minutes and they'll likely have to trade one of them to upgrade.  We just don't have enough quality or quantity NHL forwards.

We are the bottom for spending and we have Ruutu and Elias's 8 million or so off the books next year.  Next year, we're looking at needing to spend 10+ million just to get to the cap floor.  Is there going to be that many free agents that will warrant that spending spree?  Whether people admit it or not, this is a season Shero is tanking. One can say all the euphemisms (rebuild, letting the kids play, etc) one wants for it, it's still tanking.  I don't really think you can count on one hand the teams the Devils could be better than.  It's not just from poor drafting and Lou (obviously that is a big part of it), it's from sitting out an offseason with the only thing to show for it being a young forward that couldn't crack the top 6 on a good team.

Edited by themightyall

the only difference maker on the market was kessel and with us a few years away from a real PO team they didnt feel like tossing the dice with him and his baggage, oh well.. palmeri was a decent signing but we lost 100+ pts with jagr zid and bernier. so it will take a few drafts and some signings when we get close.  cant really complain with what the new management is doing..  turning over rocks for aging scorers was getting OLD!!!  suck it up for a few years guys and keep your fingers crossed

Plenty of guys could've made this team better.  The only one left probably is Tlusty.  You didn't want them to make the 6th worst team in the league last year that lost its best forward better?  Good teams build their team with smart drafting, key free agents and timely trades.  You need all three to stay good.

Again, specifically said I didn't care for Zubrus and I didn't want AHL players.  In the very post you partly quoted I said the kind of thing I wanted Shero to do, none of which involving has-beens or never-wases.

I have Kalinin as a 3RW and O'Brien as the 4C with this team.  When they signed Kalinin, he talked about how, if he had to start in the AHL, he'd be ok with that, but I can't really see enough competition for him.  Honestly, even with the trade there won't be enough competition.  I only see 6-7 (generously) players that warrant top 9 minutes and they'll likely have to trade one of them to upgrade.  We just don't have enough quality or quantity NHL forwards.

We are the bottom for spending and we have Ruutu and Elias's 8 million or so off the books next year.  Next year, we're looking at needing to spend 10+ million just to get to the cap floor.  Is there going to be that many free agents that will warrant that spending spree?  Whether people admit it or not, this is a season Shero is tanking. One can say all the euphemisms (rebuild, letting the kids play, etc) one wants for it, it's still tanking.  I don't really think you can count on one hand the teams the Devils could be better than.  It's not just from poor drafting and Lou (obviously that is a big part of it), it's from sitting out an offseason with the only thing to show for it being a young forward that couldn't crack the top 6 on a good team.

You don't just spend money and voila, more wins appear.  You have to spend money on players.  You need spots on your team for those players to fill.  Right now that's just not really the case for the Devils - they are missing 2/3rds of a 1st line that they can't magically fill by signing players or trading for them.  They already have players for spots on the team, though, besides 1st/2nd line RW which I agree needs filling.

Travis Zajac is the 47th highest paid forward in the NHL right now.  The teams who don't have a higher paid forward:  Arizona, Calgary, Florida, Nashville, Toronto, Winnipeg

Andy Greene is the 37th highest paid defenseman in the league right now.  The teams who don't have a higher paid D:  Anaheim, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Vancouver (tied).

Cory Schneider is the 10th highest paid goalie in the league.

So every team in the league either has a higher paid forward than us or a higher paid D.  Half the league has a goalie making as much, more, or slightly less than what Schneider makes.  

Next off-season NJ can sign some free agents or, hopefully, use some of that space as a dumping ground for distressed contracts.

Edited by Triumph

Mighty, is there some reason why this all has to be done right this second? Why the impatience?

Mighty, is there some reason why this all has to be done right this second? Why the impatience?

Not speaking for him or on his behalf, but I think a lot of fans might be scared of a true "rebuild" season.

I personally don't think it'd be all that bad - I mean really, how much worse than last season could it be?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not speaking for him or on his behalf, but I think a lot of fans might be scared of a true "rebuild" season.

I personally don't think it'd be all that bad - I mean really, how much worse than last season could it be?

Rather watch this team than last years team

The rebuild started on May 4. Have some patience. Plugging in UFA vets and making big trades (using what assets!?) would just make the Devils into the post-lockout Leafs. High payroll but very average and unlikely to make the playoffs nor flame out and get better odds at getting elite talent in the draft. 

The next year will suck if you like winning, seeing the Devils being competitive and in the playoffs.. Probably the year after as well. Maybe by Year 3 they'll be a bubble team or make the dance. But it'll take a while. 

Edited by Marshall

Fans have good reason to be scared of rebuilds, you're not always guaranteed to come out of one.  Some people act like it's easy to just stink for a couple years and then voila, you're good again but it doesn't work by rote especially with a management team that aside from Shero is relatively inexperienced.  Plus as easy as rebuilding for two or three years sounds on paper, two or three years is a long time in actual real life (particularly for STH's that go to games), it's not as painless as simming along a couple hours on NHL15.

That said, I understand it was time to move the rebuild along.  Lou was trying to slowly rebuild and contend at the same time but the results got worse over the last three years, I get it was time and I get it will take actual time...but I can't exactly blame fans for not being willing to embrace rebuilding.  Especially if you're a Devil-Yankee-Giant fan that gets immensely spoiled with winning or at least having a chance to win every year.

Marginally better sure but how many difference makers were there really out there?  Kessel?  At most he'd make us a borderline playoff team at a high cost but he'd be on the wrong side of 30 and clogging up our cap by the time the kids are ready to mature, and we wouldn't be able to put anyone around Kessel with all we'd have to give up for him.  They didn't exactly have the assets to acquire Saad.  I wouldn't even call Frolik a difference maker but the Devils were in on him cause he addressed a need.  Plus at some point you have to figure out what the kids are going to be, you can't keep using Gionta over Josefson forever, or Salvador over Larsson.

Edited by NJDevs26

Essentially it sounds like he wants what Lou was trying to do the last few years, somehow rebuild and contend at the same time.  Only as we saw mixing the two at the same time rarely works.  The good thing Lou did do was not go all-in on ridiculously long contracts or trading high picks, so it's been easy for Shero to clean the slate.  He's probably not going to be able to fill it out in one offseason but the offseason isn't over yet either, sometimes trades do happen in September when teams are up against the cap like the Islanders with Leddy and Boychuk last year.  

Edited by NJDevs26

Essentially it sounds like he wants what Lou was trying to do the last few years, somehow rebuild and contend at the same time. Only as we saw mixing the two at the same time rarely works. The good thing Lou did do was not go all-in on ridiculously long contracts or trading high picks, so it's been easy for Shero to clean the slate. He's probably not going to be able to fill it out in one offseason but the offseason isn't over yet either, sometimes trades do happen in September when teams are up against the cap like the Islanders with Leddy and Boychuk last year.

The Leddy and Boychuk trades along with the Halak signing were a perfect example of a team building through the draft, and when that foundation is there making smart moves, knowing what the core of the team looks like.

Fans who only follow the Devils don't have any idea about how this stuff works.  They just expect to go to the arena and see a winning team.  That's not how it works and the Devils have been chipping away at the idea of future wins since dealing for Doug Gilmour in 97 - almost every trade after that was something that was for now and not later.  The Devils received draft picks for dealing Vadim Sharifijanov, Sean Brown, David Hale, David Steckel, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Arnott, and that's basically an exhaustive list since 1999.  Meanwhile they traded prospects or picks in a huge amount of deals.

The rebuild isn't a guarantee, but you're not guaranteed wins no matter what you do.  The Devils just need a 1st line added on top of the existing team to be a playoff team with a decent shot at going deep.  Well, they probably need a 3rd D pairing too, but that's easy to fix.  Of course it's impossible to just add a 1st line in an off-season unless you have the huge resources that the Sabres had built up, but the defense and goaltending is there when this team actually gets forwards, and it should still be there in 3 years when the forwards start to arrive.