Dainius Zubrus Appreciation Thread

Zubie#8

As you all know Zubrus became my favorite player when he first arrived here.  It seems like it was yesterday when he arrived in 2007.  Eight quick years have gone by and for me even though Zubrus was not an impact player or won any championships with the team he was always a a fun player to watch, always a great teammate, and an important piece to this team.  Obviously these last two seasons he quickly lost his step but credit to him he had a very long and healthy NHL career with well over 1,200 games played.

Thank you Dainius!  I hope you stick around with the franchise.

Edited by Zubie#8

His 4 goal game vs. Tampa Bay a few years ago will always be my favorite zubs momment. Game 4 vs. Philly in the 2012 playoffs where he scored 2 important goals also comes to mind. Thanks for the great momments Zubes!!

Edited by Devs3cups

Kind of amazing he played 1243 games in the NHL...part of me wonders how he might've developed had he not been rushed right into the NHL as an 18-year-old by the Flyers.  One of those guys who managed to stick around for a long long time, when so many guys don't or can't.  And somehow enjoyed improved health when he came here...managed to reach 82 GP in a season four times...never did that anywhere else.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

His 4 goal game vs. Tampa Bay a few years ago will always be my favorite zubs momment. His great game vs. Philly (where he scored 2 goals I believe) in the 2012 playoffs also comes ro mind. Thanks for the great momments Zubes!!

Not many players can said they did that. He also scored in four different ways.  :thumbsup:

Always liked Zubes. He was always a guy I looked forward to seeing at player events and whatnot because he was just such a friendly guy. I once brought up to him that I was part Lithuanian and every time he saw me afterwards he'd remember and we'd get to talking about how his hockey program in Lithuania was going and all that kind of stuff. On the ice, until the last couple of years, it was fun to watch him play the forecheck and just seemingly win every corner battle, usually kicking the puck out of a scrum to himself or a teammate. It was his time to go but he was definitely a player I will look back fondly on.

One of my favorite Zubrus moments:

Edited by PWW

Thank you Zubie, Always loyal and hard working. I always just believed that the team experts, coach/GM saw more to his game, that didn't equate to scoring stats. Size, strength preventing scoring opps, etc. All the best!!!

Own a Zubrus jersey - the only one I own - and wear it proudly.  Never the flashy guy but if you knew hockey you could see all the things he was doing to help out.  I hope he gets a tryout somewhere.

Agree with the bolded to an extent, but sometimes it seemed like he only did "all the things" when he felt like it.  That was one of my beefs with him during his "prime" years here.

His time here really did fly by though...I remember that signing being announced as though it just happened.  And how rough it looked like it could be early on (I'll never forget chatting with Chico after a 5-0 loss to the Penguins early on in the 2007-08 season, where he basically said that he hated the Zubrus signing and didn't understand it at all).  Once the "semi-replacement for Gomez's offense" narrative died down, people grew to appreciate him for what he was.  He had a pretty nice career here...about 20 games into that first season the idea of him appearing in 550+ games as a Devils was a little scary.  He definitely turned that around.     

Agree with the bolded to an extent, but sometimes it seemed like he only did "all the things" when he felt like it.  That was one of my beefs with him during his "prime" years here.

His time here really did fly by though...I remember that signing being announced as though it just happened.  And how rough it looked like it could be early on (I'll never forget chatting with Chico after a 5-0 loss to the Penguins early on in the 2007-08 season, where he basically said that he hated the Zubrus signing and didn't understand it at all).  Once the "semi-replacement for Gomez's offense" narrative died down, people grew to appreciate him for what he was.  He had a pretty nice career here...about 20 games into that first season the idea of him appearing in 550+ games as a Devils was a little scary.  He definitely turned that around.     

He was miscast as a center, it didn't play to his strengths.  He didn't have the skating to penetrate on the forecheck reliably and he's not good enough with the puck in open space to make plays with it.  Once they moved him to winger for good his game really picked up.  That Parise-Zajac-Zubrus line was something.

The two goals in the OP are always the goals I think of when I think of Zubrus, iconic goals from his time here.

Zubie was one of my favorite players on this team up until he bottomed out last year, his banter with some of the guys in the locker room was always priceless (especially with Jagr) and I'm definitely gonna miss that about him next season.

This is a nice thread to see here after all of the ridiculous things I've read from "fans" on the FB groups. People seem to forget what some of these players have put in for us, working hard through the seasons to try to make this team a successful one. Zubes time was up here.. but he was a solid guy for a long time

IMO Zubrus was never what Lou expected when he originally signed him however he was loyal and outstanding in the corners. In the locker room he was funny, was an  expert making coffee and was the music guru.  I wish him the best in the future. Unlike some of you I don't think he will remain in the Devils organization because the Devils organization doesn't want him. This was a good move by Shero, i know some will say why with one year to go, they need space for future players and why keep him to sit on the bench waiting for injuries. We aren't going anywhere this season other than maybe making the 8th spot. It's all about the future with Shero and not Lou. II am on board. Are you? I am not excited about Ruutu and Gionta being with the Devils this coming season but unless we can find better we need 23 players.

Edited by BostonNala370

IMO Zubie was our MVP in that last SC run. he was a one man forechecking machine and he could singlehandedly dump and chase from the blue line and pin the Dman and puck along the boards behind the net. which seemed to setup many chances   he was spiderman along the boards..once he came back from that hand injury it seemed he lost everything, especially his burst.  farewell

Edited by EdgeControl

Great Devil. From everything I heard, awesome guy. Underrated player here for a long time. Unfortunate about the last contract. It seemed fairly obvious that this would happen.

From Chere's interview with him, it's NHL or nothing. I wonder if he'll get a PTO. Not sure he has much left, but a team or two might have room for him on the 4th line -- somewhere he never played in NJ the last year and a half.

One of my favourite Zubrus' plays was the Kovalchuk PPG in Game 6 of the 2012 ECF. One of the nicest goals I can remember, and Zubrus was a massive part of it. Got to the puck first battling for control to set up the play...then the gorgeous feed across the ice to Kovy.