Cammalleri to Wear #13

Jimmy Leeds

I actually wanted Parise to keep #51, for that reason...something a little different. 

I actually want to bring the Henrique 51 jersey to his next signing to take a pic of me and him with it (not to get it signed though).  To make the wait in line go faster, I am thinking of counting how many times I get asked or mentioned by people about the number on the jersey lol.

I actually hadn't considered the fact that we're gonna have 5 numbers in the rafters within the next few years. I suppose the no numbers over 30 thing had to go at some point. Wouldn't be totally surprised if #6 was gone within the decade either.

But I did appreciate the tradition. I was furious that Jagr wore 68.

There's no planet where a sure fire Hall of Fame legend comes to town and is told not to wear the number he's worn his entire NHL career. Being furious over that makes no sense, especially where the team has a history of doing it.

where did i say this whole thing was big deal or wtv? All i said is that he wore multiple numbers in a short span of time. He did. Wearing even more than 1 is "multiple", he did wear 4 numbers through his time in NJ to some extend. It's simply a technical fact. Not sure why there's that much arguing about this. Then is wearing 3 numbers instead of 4 really throwing my comment out of the window?

I guess if i have to be more specific. For awhile it's fine the under 30 thing, its traditional, the whole front logo is everything philosophie and all. But after awhile it's making things really complicated since you're restrained to less than 30 numbers really. Players coming in who can't get their number they wore all their whole lives, the same # wore by like 5-6 players through the years. Plus then you have retired numbers so you have even less to play with.

Of course who supports it will say it's no big deal it's just a number, deal with it bla bla bla and that's fair. But some players and fans really care about that sh!t and that's fair too, nobody is better than the other in this case. So unless there's a really "good reason" behind not having it. Why make things more complicated when it doesn't have to. And that's my point.

Where did I imply that it was a big deal?  I didn't at all.  More said that preseason numbers of guys who aren't sure bets to make the team tend to be kind of all over the place, and not really fair to lump in with regular season numbers.

The middle part of your post echoes sentiments I and others have posted as well.  Five 30-and-under numbers being off the list is a lot.  Means more higher numbers have to be available.  And yeah, hopefully that means a little less "young player wears x in his first call-up, y in his next, back to x again, then switches to z when it becomes available".  But unfortunately you're always going to have this to some extent with the guys who take a while to stick...say a guy like Boucher makes the team and asks for #8 and gets it, gets sent back down for 20-30 games and a vet comes in and decides he wants #8...I get you and agree, it would be nice to see this happen less, but it is what it is. 

Brule was before my time, but I am almost certain Gionta and Gionta played with those numbers.

Also-- didn't Taormina wear #32 for a season? And Merrill #34?

Didn't Corrente wear 32 as well?

Where did I imply that it was a big deal?  I didn't at all.  More said that preseason numbers of guys who aren't sure bets to make the team tend to be kind of all over the place, and not really fair to lump in with regular season numbers.

The middle part of your post echoes sentiments I and others have posted as well.  Five 30-and-under numbers being off the list is a lot.  Means more higher numbers have to be available.  And yeah, hopefully that means a little less "young player wears x in his first call-up, y in his next, back to x again, then switches to z when it becomes available".  But unfortunately you're always going to have this to some extent with the guys who take a while to stick...say a guy like Boucher makes the team and asks for #8 and gets it, gets sent back down for 20-30 games and a vet comes in and decides he wants #8...I get you and agree, it would be nice to see this happen less, but it is what it is. 

Didn't Corrente wear 32 as well?

oh i didnt say you said it but i got a few comments about my comment through this discussion and i dont see that as something that should be dragged on its pretty irrelevant specifically how many # he wore. lol it was simply an example of what you've described with the x,y,z.

Brule was before my time, but I am almost certain Gionta and Gionta played with those numbers.

Also-- didn't Taormina wear #32 for a season? And Merrill #34?

They didn't, though.  Gionta's listed as having worn 54 in 2012 - you know, the year the Devils went to the Cup.  Well, we know he didn't do that, and he was only called up for one game before the playoffs anyway.

Taormina wore #32, Fayne wore #34, Salmela wore #32, I think, at some point - it was inevitable given all the retired numbers that this would happen.

32,33, and 34 have been handed out regularly when necessary. Corrects, Taormina, Merrill, Simpson, Leblond at one time, Fraser, Hegelson, Matteau for a stint are ones that come to mind offhand.

The biggies are obviously 13 and now 44 for a non-import that always wore it.

I could see the Devils do similar to the ducks who give rookies and call ups "JV numbers" in the 50's and you can "earn" a lower number. If you remember, Bobby Ryan wore 54 for a while. But if you want a "vanity number", they won't stop you.

32,33, and 34 have been handed out regularly when necessary. Corrects, Taormina, Merrill, Simpson, Leblond at one time, Fraser, Hegelson, Matteau for a stint are ones that come to mind offhand.

The biggies are obviously 13 and now 44 for a non-import that always wore it.

I could see the Devils do similar to the ducks who give rookies and call ups "JV numbers" in the 50's and you can "earn" a lower number. If you remember, Bobby Ryan wore 54 for a while. But if you want a "vanity number", they won't stop you.

I actually really like that.  

Issue is the devils den crap customization. I wouldn't want to trade in my EPS customized 20 Tootoo for a Devils den 22 tootoo.

Umm, yes this too. And there's s big difference between what the Den calls an authentic and what I call an authentic.

I was trying not to be a jersey snob. But EPS even did my 8 year old's youth size jersey, so I totally am a jersey snob.

Issue is the devils den crap customization. I wouldn't want to trade in my EPS customized 20 Tootoo for a Devils den 22 tootoo.

Yea I hear you on that but still a good deal if you don't care about that kind of thing or already bought a jersey from the Devils den.

I haven't bought a jersey with a name on it in over 10 years or longer, this might sound stupid but I hate sitting down in my seat at the game's with the name and number in the back, I find it completely uncomfortable so I just wear my old ccm replica with no name lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

even though there customization is crap.. what a nice step in the right direction for the devils to offer something like this. They must have realized how many fans would be pissed off if they didnt offer something.

Not happening, anyway:

"To be eligible for the exchange, the jersey being returned must be officially licensed by the NHL, be manufactured by Reebok, and have been purchased at a Devils Den Team Store location in Prudential Center or via shop.nhl.com."