How many Devils fans that post here are following Lou in Toronto?

BostonNala370

Jacques "leaving" (was unsure how much he'd be involved) really made me sad, for some reason. Always liked the old guy.

Me too.. almost made me more sad than when Lou's departure was announced.

I mean, I don't really know why - I can't imagine JL had any sort of significant role at this point.. but it still bothered me.

Yes just lets make the worst possible assumptions about a front management who has been in charge for only a few months and who is making one good decision after the other.

You didn't understand what I wrote.  No, I'm not cryptic - you all just rush through until you get the chance to blab whatever you want to.  I do it too.  But if you respond it will be with some defensive bullsh!t as if I even care what you think of me or what you have to say :evil:

What I wrote (in more plain English for the slow folks) is that the new owners are making very typical NHL business decisions.  Yes, Shero and his crew will hit a rough patch and will be fired when that happens.  There will be no margin for error allowed for anyone - just as I'm sure none of you here (not self-employed or working for family) has any margin for error in their job.  Profit above all.  That has absolutely NOTHING to do with any sh!t assumptions about Ray Shero and his crew.  It is society today.  I choose to live my life in a different way.  Marty chose to manage his career in a different way.  Marty didn't slam the Devils.  Neither did I.  This just isn't a Devils organization I feel any loyalty too.  And why should I?  I said from the start I was here for Devils hockey. For the game of hockey. This is the organization and the game of 21st century NHL. Hockey is secondary.  If you're thrilled with the team's moves it's because you love your home state above hockey, which I totally approve of - it's a great reason for unearned loyalty, or you like the NHL more than you do hockey. The people who write on this board are NHL fans - but this is no surprise to me.  The NJ fans stopped writing long ago. 

AND I am happy to follow this new organization.  I may end up loving them myself once they hit the ice. BUT I am kind of interested in seeing what Babcock does with Lemaire's insights and I think it's cute he asked Lou to bring him on -- that's what it sounds like to me.  I think it's great Lou has a lesser role in the Leafs day to day stuff - very smart.  they know what they have. I just find the leafs more compelling at this point.

I understand complete why Shero wanted to clean house.  But it's coming off weak and underconfident - the owners have positioned him carefully under the bus forcing everyone to say Lou hired him and this was Lou's choice, thus making Shero out to be some lame backstabbing a$$hole.  Bad way to start things out -- and now Shero's just going to get defensive and weaker as this team fails despite his changes. He flailed around in Pittsburgh when the organization started to blame him for the failures.  I felt bad for the guy.  and may I remind you: YOU all are the ones saying "Sure he'll fail - it's the players that suck -  but we gotta give him a chance" not me. If you are correct in your estimation of the coming season - yes - this 2 month old management staff is destined for failure -- through absolutely NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.  and of course I'm right... I'm always right  :uni:  anyone who reads what I write knows it too  :dizzy:

Leafs are going to crash and burn with hockey intelligence style and I just think it's going to be more fun to watch - I'll learn more about hockey. 

Edited by Pepperkorn

That's a quality twofer by PK right there - a dig at current posters, and a nostalgic nod to the "good old days".

There are more than a few points I disagree with in that second post PK but it's probably not worth getting into.

Following a team means following the crest - not the individuals that compose the team and management. I mean.. That's what Lou preached from day 1..

I get that there's not a whole lot to be emotionally invested in right now.. But isn't that often the case when any sort of organization makes wholesale changes?

Give it time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a bad feeling about LL taking this job. I think he may sully his reputation (not entirely unlike MB's end) by trying to extend his career. With the Devils LL had full control, he knew the team, he knew the prospects, he had an intimate knowledge of every facet of this franchise. There is no way he can come into a new franchise with the same knowledge set. He won't have the same control, the same comfort level, and so on.

I think this is important because he was already showing signs of losing his touch when he was in a situation most people would consider to be optimal. A less optimal situation isn't likely to yield better results and LL has never come across as someone who plays well with others when it comes to control. So how does he make Toronto work? I think he has fooled himself into thinking this was a chance to prove himself all over again, but really this is a situation ripe for failure for a person like him. Perhaps I'll be wrong, but i suspect not....

I have a bad feeling about LL taking this job. I think he may sully his reputation (not entirely unlike MB's end) by trying to extend his career. With the Devils LL had full control, he knew the team, he knew the prospects, he had an intimate knowledge of every facet of this franchise. There is no way he can come into a new franchise with the same knowledge set. He won't have the same control, the same comfort level, and so on.

I think this is important because he was already showing signs of losing his touch when he was in a situation most people would consider to be optimal. A less optimal situation isn't likely to yield better results and LL has never come across as someone who plays well with others when it comes to control. So how does he make Toronto work? I think he has fooled himself into thinking this was a chance to prove himself all over again, but really this is a situation ripe for failure for a person like him. Perhaps I'll be wrong, but i suspect not....

Lou was a one man show in NJ. He has Babcock extremely talented with success running the on ice product. He brought in JL as another set of eyes. He has a young AGM plus a young manager of scouting working for him. And he reports to the boss Shanahan.

Totally different situation than NJ. I expect him to change and be a great deal of help for Toronto.

That's a quality twofer by PK right there - a dig at current posters, and a nostalgic nod to the "good old days".

There are more than a few points I disagree with in that second post PK but it's probably not worth getting into.

Following a team means following the crest - not the individuals that compose the team and management. I mean.. That's what Lou preached from day 1..

I get that there's not a whole lot to be emotionally invested in right now.. But isn't that often the case when any sort of organization makes wholesale changes?

Give it time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly and another example from PK of why this place rarely gets any new posters and why it has been a ghost town for some time now. Yeah the team is in the crapper but with all the changes you would expect more activity on this board.

Exactly and another example from PK of why this place rarely gets any new posters and why it has been a ghost town for some time now. Yeah the team is in the crapper but with all the changes you would expect more activity on this board.

Is this team anything less right now than last season's team at same time? You could say yes we don't have Jagr and Zidlicky for the scoring touch but look who are not bench warming they are gone.

PK is not another example why this place has lost a lot of posters, etc..  You, and many other posters, have no idea how to understand her or anyone else for the most part. The atmosphere is that of the crude, non respectful, and "entitled is my right and agree with or risk the wrath of the newer generation" being the more reason for lack of traffic imo. The abuse some posters get is awful. I expect that folks will take a shot at me regarding my age and my "nostalgia."  It is what you <plural> do best,

Edited by StarDew

PK is not another example why this place has lost a lot of posters, etc.. You, and many other posters, have no idea how to understand her or anyone else for the most part. The atmosphere is that of the crude, non respectful, and "entitled is my right and agree with or risk the wrath of the newer generation" being the more reason for lack of traffic imo. The abuse some posters get is awful. I expect that folks will take a shot at me regarding my age and my "nostalgia." It is what you <plural> do best,

Yup

PK is not another example why this place has lost a lot of posters, etc..  You, and many other posters, have no idea how to understand her or anyone else for the most part. The atmosphere is that of the crude, non respectful, and "entitled is my right and agree with or risk the wrath of the newer generation" being the more reason for lack of traffic imo. The abuse some posters get is awful. I expect that folks will take a shot at me regarding my age and my "nostalgia."  It is what you <plural> do best,

I don't tend to get abused, and I don't think I abuse people.  There's no reason you can't have a respectable discussion.  

I was thinking about this...I still feel like the main problem is that the changes aren't heavy in the on-ice category, other than guys being cut or not brought back...there's not that blockbuster trade to talk about with anticipation and excitement, where we know that the team still has a ways to go, but at least that first sexy building block is in place (I'm thinking a mid-to-late 20s scoring forward more than anything else when I say "sexy building block").  I don't think PK scares anyone off...I think most people find her posts so confusing that they don't even really know how to respond to them, even on the occasions where she posts something more coherent...a lot of her posts get more of a "huh, what?" reaction.  PK is not intimidating.  The funny thing is that I'm still relatively active on here and I'm just the opposite of what she said...I'm a NJ Devils fan, not an NHL fan.  Once the Devils are done I don't pay that much attention to the playoffs at all...I'll tune in here and there, and I appreciate good teams and good players, but the NHL is near-dead to me once the Devils are finished.  And I've always been that way.  For me, it's always going to be Devils or bust.

And I think the board is probably reaching a little of a saturation point, as far as the never-say-die, truly bleeding the red-and-black members go...there just aren't that many true hardcore Devils fans around, and there's one variety of them that I'm glad doesn't seem to come in here too much...the type that thought that Brodeur should be starting over Schneider because Marty knows "how to win", etc.  At least here you do have a lot of members that understand what's going on, who know that Shero can't just make three uber-fleece moves and sign a FA or two to get the Devils back to being an upper-echelon team.  I'd rather that, than a swarm of entitleds coming in and posting variations of "When the fvck is Shero gonna start doin something?  WTF?!"  

You didn't understand what I wrote.  No, I'm not cryptic - you all just rush through until you get the chance to blab whatever you want to.  I do it too.  But if you respond it will be with some defensive bullsh!t as if I even care what you think of me or what you have to say :evil:

What I wrote (in more plain English for the slow folks) is that the new owners are making very typical NHL business decisions.  Yes, Shero and his crew will hit a rough patch and will be fired when that happens.  There will be no margin for error allowed for anyone - just as I'm sure none of you here (not self-employed or working for family) has any margin for error in their job.  Profit above all.  That has absolutely NOTHING to do with any sh!t assumptions about Ray Shero and his crew.  It is society today.  I choose to live my life in a different way.  Marty chose to manage his career in a different way.  Marty didn't slam the Devils.  Neither did I.  This just isn't a Devils organization I feel any loyalty too.  And why should I?  I said from the start I was here for Devils hockey. For the game of hockey. This is the organization and the game of 21st century NHL. Hockey is secondary.  If you're thrilled with the team's moves it's because you love your home state above hockey, which I totally approve of - it's a great reason for unearned loyalty, or you like the NHL more than you do hockey. The people who write on this board are NHL fans - but this is no surprise to me.  The NJ fans stopped writing long ago. 

AND I am happy to follow this new organization.  I may end up loving them myself once they hit the ice. BUT I am kind of interested in seeing what Babcock does with Lemaire's insights and I think it's cute he asked Lou to bring him on -- that's what it sounds like to me.  I think it's great Lou has a lesser role in the Leafs day to day stuff - very smart.  they know what they have. I just find the leafs more compelling at this point.

I understand complete why Shero wanted to clean house.  But it's coming off weak and underconfident - the owners have positioned him carefully under the bus forcing everyone to say Lou hired him and this was Lou's choice, thus making Shero out to be some lame backstabbing a$$hole.  Bad way to start things out -- and now Shero's just going to get defensive and weaker as this team fails despite his changes. He flailed around in Pittsburgh when the organization started to blame him for the failures.  I felt bad for the guy.  and may I remind you: YOU all are the ones saying "Sure he'll fail - it's the players that suck -  but we gotta give him a chance" not me. If you are correct in your estimation of the coming season - yes - this 2 month old management staff is destined for failure -- through absolutely NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.  and of course I'm right... I'm always right  :uni:  anyone who reads what I write knows it too  :dizzy:

Leafs are going to crash and burn with hockey intelligence style and I just think it's going to be more fun to watch - I'll learn more about hockey. 

Too early to say what will happen with Shero, how long he will last, etc. (obviously), and we don't know how patient or impatient these owners are...I'm willing to give all involved some time, instead of just assuming they're just a bunch of cardboard cutouts.  With the mess Shero inherited, it's going to be a while before we even know what his game plan is...I know what kind of team he'd like to see, because he told us, but I have no idea how he gets there, and sometimes, if certain players emerge that are terrific at what they do but don't necessarily fit the original game plan, then the plan understandably evolves into something else. 

I wouldn't say that I'm thrilled with Shero's moves to date...they're moves that signal the end of the previous regime which had clearly run its course, and for me that's OK.  Yeah, the Lous of the world that remain GMs seemingly forever are very rare, and GM turnover happens at a pretty high rate these days...probably a little too high.  We're about to find out how patient these owners really are...not tomorrow obviously, but 1987-93 Lou probably would've gotten canned by more than a few owners, and if Lemaire hadn't worked out, I think Lou would have...I've always felt that way.  I truly hope that that Devils don't become just another franchise blowing out regimes every 4 to 5 seasons (or even sooner), but at the same time, I also hope that incompetent fools like Mike Milbury don't get endless leashes here either.  I think unless Shero is really making boldly idiotic moves, he has to be given time and a real chance to build this team up, and I'd like to think the owners feel the same. 

I disagree that Shero's housecleaning is coming off as "weak" and "underconfident"...he's doing what is necessary.  What could he do that would come off as "strong" and "confident"?  Also don't see him as being set-up to look like a backstabber...this and what follows is the kind of stuff that you sometimes post that comes off as out there and not reality rooted in any kind of realistic perceptions...the kind of stuff that gets the "huh, what?" reactions.  I see a guy in Shero who's settling in slowly, moving on from some useless or near useless parts, trying to build a front office and coaching staff with guys he feels comfortable with, and trying to set himself up with some flexibility when moves he feels comfortable making begin to appear.  Not necessarily exciting or creative stuff, but hopefully those moves will come in time.