2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

On 4/11/2016 at 2:00 PM, Daniel said:

Not sure what the odds are that it's second or third, but I imagine it's a better than remote chance, maybe 15%? 

Our chances of winning the 2nd pick depends on who wins the first pick, and then our chances of winning the 3rd pick  depend on who wins the second (and first) pick. Obviously, all teams benefit from teams with better odds (Toronto, Edmonton, etc...) winning the first two picks as this increases the odds the most for us (and everyone else) of winning the lottery at all. Let's look at two scenarios:

The Devils have at best a 3% of winning the first pick. 

Let's say Toronto and Edmonton (the two bottom teams) win the first two picks:

If Toronto wins the first pick the Devils increase to a 3.75% chance of winning the second pick. This is our best chance of winning the second pick, if we don't win the first. Then, if Edmonton wins the second pick, the Devils chances of winning the 3rd pick increase to 4.51%. However, with that order, the chances that we would have won the lottery BY the 3rd pick are 10.85%, which happens to be our best chance of winning the lottery in any of the three rounds.

Now, let's look at another scenario, when the bottom two teams don't win the first two picks:

Let's say the Sabres (8th pick as of now) win the first pick. Then the Devils chances of winning the second pick increase to only 3.19%. If the Canucks (3rd pick as of now) then win the 2nd pick in the lottery, the Devils chances of winning the 3rd pick increase to 3.64%. In this scenario, the chances that we would have won the lottery by the 3rd pick are 9.51%.

This is a decrease of 1.34% from the first scenario. Either way, we have to get pretty lucky to win the lottery, but as you can see, it's not improbable at all.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

I'm not fully aware of the rules of the NHL lottery w.r.t. how probability is broken down for each of the lottery picks after the first. Does anyone know how likely it is that the Devils get selected for pick 1, 2, or 3? I would assume close to 10% assuming it's around 3% for each.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:39 PM, CommonDreads said:

EDIT: Also, I don't understand the disdain for Julien Gauthier. I agree, Devils need a playmaking forward, but what's the huge issue with a 6'4", 212 lb pure goal scorer? 41 goals in 54 games isn't really anything to scoff at.

Its where he's coming from. He's got numbers in a lesser league. He's a good player and could be a good NHL'er, but there's likely to be someone better where we're picking. If we get bumped to say 13 or 14, then maybe he becomes an option. At 11, there are assuredly better players on the board at the time.

I couldn't find any info about who won the lottery before i came on here, what's the deal with no news coming out of NHL.com? But i agree that Toronto was the worst choice, but at least it will be fun to watch another top prospect waste away in Canada. Too bad this one's American.