2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Worst part of toronto winning is now are the Lou apologists in our fanbase who will somehow make this seem like some sort of stroke of genius move by Lou in the team tanking, winning the draft (that they had the highest chance of winning) and selecting the obvious player 

22 minutes ago, sokar said:

I wonder what is more likely to happen Devils picking a player at 11 or trading it away for a player/picks

Picking. I'd put it at an 80% chance.

Obviously sh!t happens and a really good offer lands on our laps, but it just doesnt seem likely right now unless a currently highly rated player (notably a D-Man) starts falling and a team behind us a few spots wants to move up.  Maybe some GM wants to move a current player that we're interested in by the draft, but predicting a move is folly at this point. I'd put trading up at an equally low possibility. Outside of the top 3, the talent level becomes more condensed so we'll likely be getting a talented player at 11.

Just made a blog post, up to date Mock Draft following tonight's Lottery. Check it out if you'd like :)

2016 NHL Mock Draft - April 30th

1. TOR - Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)
2. WPG - Patrik Laine, LW/RW, Tappara (FIN)
3. CBJ - Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)
4. EDM - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)
5. VAN - Mikhail Sergachev, D, Windsor (OHL)
6. CGY - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
7. ARZ - Alexander Nylander, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
8. BUF - Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)
9. MTL - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)
10. COL - Jake Bean, D, Calgary (WHL)
11. NJ - Tyson Jost, C/LW, Penticton (BCHL)

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

Nice list Common Dreads, my only comment is that I'm under the impression that the Coyotes desperately need to add a defenseman.  Then again, they're about to swap out Maloney for a 26 year old moneyballer, so who the hell actually knows. 

I bring it up because I would love to see a run on defenseman and Nylander start to slide a little.   

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Nice list Common Dreads, my only comment is that I'm under the impression that the Coyotes desperately need to add a defenseman.  Then again, they're about to swap out Maloney for a 26 year old moneyballer, so who the hell actually knows. 

I bring it up because I would love to see a run on defenseman and Nylander start to slide a little.   

I agree, but my thought process was they'd likely go BPA considering they have an additional 1st Rounder at 20th overall, they could add a defenseman at that pick if they wish

Damian Cox has us taking Logan Brown.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/damien-cox-mock-draft-nhl-draft-lottery-results-edition/

Craig Button has us taking Clayton Keller.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.481511

Button's mocks usually get a lot of sh!t but last year he actually did pretty well. I hope he's right this time too. 

11 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Life's not fair.

(Edit: I think this is the Twitter of someone here? I forget who?)

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 1.22.19 PM.png

Eh, it'd hurt more if it was the last number drawn. We were out on the 3rd. It sucks, but its easier to swallow looking at it like that.

On May 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM, CommonDreads said:

Just made a blog post, up to date Mock Draft following tonight's Lottery. Check it out if you'd like :)

2016 NHL Mock Draft - April 30th

Picking @ 11 is nothing to sneeze at. Still could get someone only a year or two away from being NHL ready.  CD,  I think the Oilers will take a d man @ #4. 

also, another team (12-14 pick) might "really" want to move up (like the Bruins') and fork over someone that could step in.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Picking @ 11 is nothing to sneeze at. Still could get someone only a year or two away from being NHL ready.  CD,  I think the Oilers will take a d man @ #4. 

also, another team (12-14 pick) might "really" want to move up (like the Bruins') and fork over someone that could step in.

It was really hard for me to not have the Oilers taking Sergachev or Chychrun, but I think they'll still go BPA and considering Yakupov hasn't panned out, a good winger for McDavid and Draisaitl is actually something the Oilers could use, so that was the logic behind Tkachuk to Edmonton.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the values of our picks.

11th overall:

38% chance of a top 6 forward

70% chance at 100 games played 

41st overall:

11% chance of a top 6 forward

41% chance at 100 games played

76th overall:

8.5% chance at a top 6 forward

26.5% chance at 100 games played

101st 102nd 104th overall:

3% chance at a top 6 forward (9)

20% chance at 100 games played (60)

Big discussion on XM yesterday on where 1st D man would be picked. Most suggesting Edm. trade 4th to someone else in 9-13 range for competent D men.

Or pull a Garth Snow & land a Leddy/Boychuk "deal" if one is out there.. But they were saying there may not be a D man taken before 8 or 9th that fw's have a better shot.

Edm is dealing from position of strength. They can dangle 4-5 guys out there, and get a good return.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Big discussion on XM yesterday on where 1st D man would be picked. Most suggesting Edm. trade 4th to someone else in 9-13 range for competent D men.

Or pull a Garth Snow & land a Leddy/Boychuk "deal" if one is out there.. But they were saying there may not be a D man taken before 8 or 9th that fw's have a better shot.

Edm is dealing from position of strength. They can dangle 4-5 guys out there, and get a good return.

The problem Edmonton has is that there's a drop off in the forward talent after pick 3, or at least it's perceived to be that way.  It was perhaps possible that the Isles would have traded Hamonic for 4 overall, but he has since rescinded his trade demand.  The other one getting floated out there is McDonough for 4th overall with other stuff going one way or the other.  Think that would be a huge minus for the Rags. 

I don't see the Devils moving up to get 4 nor do I really see the need to considering it will probably be an overpayment for a team that can't afford to overpay in terms of assets right now.