2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

14 hours ago, nessus said:

Jost ahead of Matthews? I admittedly don't know as much about this draft class as you do, but I was under the impression that Matthews and Laine were pretty close as far as shot goes.

Also, what are people's opinions on Chychrun? Many people aren't so high on him anymore and I was wondering why.

IMO Jost's shot beats out Matthews', kid can seriously fire it. As far as i'm concerned the top 5 shots in the draft are:

1. Patrik Laine
2. Tyson Jost
3. Auston Matthews
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Tage Thompson

EDIT: And as far as Chychrun goes, I think it's more so that others have passed him than his game has slipped. In particular, Sergachev has really secured himself as the best defenseman in this draft for me, his season was simply better than Chychrun's and that was also the case with players like Tkachuk and Dubois being able to pass Chychrun, they just simply had very good seasons and put themselves in good spots because of it. I'm still a big Chychrun fan, I see him probably going around 7th or 8th at this point though.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

I guess it's nearly impossible to know since NJ doesnt have a beat writer ATM, but any info on who we interviewed at the combine this past weekend?

Although TG attended combine last 2 years (I think) I don't think he knew which players interviewed w/ Conte etc. He didn't give us any more info say Mike Morreale. He would be in a scrum when reporters were talking to McDavid/or Eichel. 

20 hours ago, SMantzas said:

How good does this look?:

Chychrun/Sergachyov-Larsson

Greene-Severson

NJ needs a RW or C soo badly though.

there's no reason we wont take a defenseman that we think is best player available.  as long as he's clearly viewed as better 

I think we'd have to at least take a long hard look if one of Sergachev, Chychrun, or Juolevi is available at 11th, left side of our defense looks weak for the future if Merrill doesn't pan out into a serviceable guy, all 3 of the left shot defenseman projected to go high in this draft should become at least Top 4 defenders.

11 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I think we'd have to at least take a long hard look if one of Sergachev, Chychrun, or Juolevi is available at 11th, left side of our defense looks weak for the future if Merrill doesn't pan out into a serviceable guy, all 3 of the left shot defenseman projected to go high in this draft should become at least Top 4 defenders.

Lots of possibilities if  two of them are sitting there.  One, it likely means that Edmonton was not able to deal its number 4 pick.  If that's the case, make a strong pitch for RNH with the 11th pick and something else.  You could also take one of them and try and sign a quality free agent like Loui Erickson.  You'd hate to pass up on someone like Keller or Jost (maybe both of them have been selected, which makes the choice easier), but you figure that someone like Erickson will be better than anyone you're drafting at that spot for the next three years or so.  Erickson's concussion issues, however, are pretty frightening. 

There are a couple of topics on HF suggesting Larsson + for RNH +. Regardless of who or what it's for, I'm against giving up anything of good value for RNH. Not only does he seem to get injured a lot but he also seems like he's going to top out as a good 2C. I think we're deep enough, or potentially deep enough, with 2C's like Henrique, Zajac (for the near future), and possibly Quenneville, and maybe even Zacha. 

RNH might be a little better than them but IMO its not worthwhile for us to give up good assets to add him to what we already have. If the do want to use the 11th as a trade chip I'd rather they go in a different direction.

22 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Although TG attended combine last 2 years (I think) I don't think he knew which players interviewed w/ Conte etc. He didn't give us any more info say Mike Morreale. He would be in a scrum when reporters were talking to McDavid/or Eichel. 

IIRC, it got out that NJ interviewed guys like Domi, Shinkaruk and Zibanejad, but I have no idea if that was a Morreale type or Chere/TG

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

There are a couple of topics on HF suggesting Larsson + for RNH +. Regardless of who or what it's for, I'm against giving up anything of good value for RNH. Not only does he seem to get injured a lot but he also seems like he's going to top out as a good 2C. I think we're deep enough, or potentially deep enough, with 2C's like Henrique, Zajac (for the near future), and possibly Quenneville, and maybe even Zacha. 

RNH might be a little better than them but IMO its not worthwhile for us to give up good assets to add him to what we already have. If the do want to use the 11th as a trade chip I'd rather they go in a different direction.

The problem with trading Larsson for RNH is that it's a zero sum proposition for the Devils.  If the defense were as stacked as Nashville it would make sense like Seth Jones for Johnansen did. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The problem with trading Larsson for RNH is that it's a zero sum proposition for the Devils.  If the defense were as stacked as Nashville it would make sense like Seth Jones for Johnansen did. 

I'm just not sold on RNH being worth trading for. He'd probably be our best center but I personally don't think he's that much better than Henrique. We need a true 1c if we're trading good assets.

I think the odds of adding Sergachev are extremely thin. A) I think he's going to be selected before the Devils pick and B) the Devils need offense so badly that I really see them selecting one of Jost, Keller or Brown (assuming no crazy Devils' trades). I also think that Chychrun is going to fall down the draft further than most people think ... and, in my opinion, he's the most likely of the top three defensemen the Devils might have an opportunity to draft. As such, I'd be really shocked if Juolevi or Sergachev are still on the table when the Devils head to the podium. Hence, I see nothing but a forward in the first round.

Chychrun strikes me as a 3rd pairing D. Do not want at 11. Sergachev I would not mind, but I really do not think hes still going to be available at 11. Im not very familiar with Juolevi... but id rather pick a forward with 11 and hope we can get a left side'd D with our 2nd or 3rd.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd be quite upset if we draft a dman with our pick. i know everything about the BPA and all. Drafting is always a gamble so what you think the BPA may be might not be it. so at least try to fill a need.

I agree. I think BPA is totally subjective.

I want us to draft a "skill" fw. Not a safe Quenville type.  But either a playmaker extraordinaire or a finisher like Drouin.  I'd love for us to get Keller. Can't have both I guess. I won't be pissed if we pick a D man.

Also,

i'm sure Shero has "prepared" list for teams drafting later in 1st round.  For example, if Ron Francis approaches Ray, I'll give you __________and a 4th, if you switch picks w/ us.    Bruins offer _____________ & 5th,  there will still be quality guys to choose.   etc.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd be quite upset if we draft a dman with our pick. i know everything about the BPA and all. Drafting is always a gamble so what you think the BPA may be might not be it. so at least try to fill a need.

Mikhail Sergachev is very offensive minded, reading his reports he sounds more like a centerman than Dman. hard nosed too , big shot,

More chatter about Columbus trading out of number 3 with hopes that they can land Keller or Logan Brown later.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-outlines-why-blue-jackets-may-trade-top-draft-pick/

What I would offer would be 11, Blackwood and this year's second; or 11, this year's second and we take Clarkson, or 11 and next year's first.  Of course, that's if Castron and company think Puljujarvi is a sure fire first line right wing or center that can start playing immediately.  

Either that, or make sure we get Keller if he's sitting there at 8 or 9.