2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Just now, roomtemp said:

Is it because he's a goalie or is he not a highly thought of goalie prospect?

Just wish they were a bit more ambitious at that slot, but that's splitting hairs. I mean, he's an ok goalie prospect and has size but his career OHL numbers leave me wanting a lot more. He was a workhorse on a not so great team so I'm kind of curious to see what his GSAA is like. Just can't see him being anything more than a minor league guy. Hockey Prospect actually described him as a "lower end Mackenzie Blackwood."

Bratt seems like a nice value pick for where they got him. Future Considerations had him at 78, Hockey Prospect at 100 and described him as playing a "high-paced game." Also mentioned he "has a high skill level and is elusive with the puck." Doesn't turn 18 until 7/30 too. H.pefully he can translate his game over to NA.

EDIT: Pronman had him at 49.

Edited by thefiestygoat

19 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Really happy with all the forwards,,, not that I know anything about them but even if 1 or 2 of them become NHL quality it'll be better than our recent track record of drafting forwards lol.

we definitely stocked the shelves, now we need a few to develop and over-achieve

fresh blood!

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Like the Bratt pick a lot, can see we're building up a lot of speed, kid can also fly

Seriously, it seems like they're getting a bunch of guys with speed. McLeod, Gignac, and Bratt seem like they can absolutely fly. Anderson and Maltsev have positive reports in that department. Bastian doesn't but I do like what I've read on his size and compete level. I know this draft isn't highly touted, but so far I'm happy with what Shero's done today.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thefiestygoat said:

Seriously, it seems like they're getting a bunch of guys with speed. McLeod, Gignac, and Bratt seem like they can absolutely fly. Anderson and Maltsev have positive reports in that department. Bastian doesn't but I do like what I've read on his size and compete level. I know this draft isn't highly touted, but so far I'm happy with what Shero's done today.

Fast, attacking, supportive. I love it 

I have to point this out, 2016 NHL Draft coverage has to be the worse ever. Talking heads not and/or weak coverage on the picks, especially not interviewing all the 1st rounders, so-called experts saying 200+ draftees are all great-good picks, and then the constant rambling on speculative trades instead of covering the draft picks and team fits, tired of hearing Stamkos and everything else which wont take place until July 1st.

Horrible draft format/coverage/technicals by both NBCSports and the NHL channel  

Only high point, Bettman Booed

• Like 2

I have to point this out, 2016 NHL Draft coverage has to be the worse ever. Talking heads not and/or weak coverage on the picks, especially not interviewing all the 1st rounders, so-called experts saying 200+ draftees are all great-good picks, and then the constant rambling on speculative trades instead of covering the draft picks and team fits, tired of hearing Stamkos and everything else which wont take place until July 1st.

The coverage was a joke. The guy NHL Network had hosting today was HORRIBLE (I forget his name, he's on NHL Tonight)... The dude is so unnatural- tries waaaay too hard... I wanted to punch him in the face and tell him to just shut the fvck up for five seconds.

8 hours ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

I think the stupidest thing I heard was on the 1st round NHL Tonight recap show that was airing from Fri night and constantly repeated on NHLN to the start on Sat AM....

Dave Reid on Auston Matthews: (pp) "Auston Matthews is the most talented prospect taken at #1 overall in YEARS!".

He seriously said this, and I'm just thinking to myself uhhhh McDavid? 

Michael McLeod - Bob 15, Pronman 20, McKeens 7, FC 15, Lowetide 23, ISS 13

Nathan Bastian - Bob 36, FC 37, Pronman 76, McKeens 49, Lowetide 33, ISS 31

Joey Anderson - Bob 56, FC 55, Pronman 33, McKeens 82, Lowetide 88, ISS 69

Jesper Bratt - NR, FC 78, Pronman 49, McKeens 128, Lowetide 100, ISS 130

Brandon Gignac - NR, FC 83, Pronman NR, McKeens 83, Lowetide 66

Mikhail Maltsev - Bob 80, FC 98, Pronman NR, ISS 90, Lowetide NR

Yegor Rykov - Bob NR, FC 114, Pronman 59, Lowetide 83, ISS 145

Some nice picks in there, i left out Cormier and Davies since they are barely ranked.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I just listened to the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast recorded on Friday night after the 1st round.   There were three interesting points:

1.  Marek mentioned that is all his conversations with scouts, Brown was the one guy that most of them said they hoped they didn't have to make a choice on.   Essentially he was the highest risk/reward prospect.  

2.  He also said McLeod has a good shot and that he just doesn't use it enough.   Most reports I saw just said he had a weak shot.

3.  There was apparently a lot of talk that Max Jones might go as high as 10 and that when Marek talked to Jones later, he said Max thought he was going 10th to Colorado as well.  

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I just listened to the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast recorded on Friday night after the 1st round.   There were three interesting points:

1.  Marek mentioned that is all his conversations with scouts, Brown was the one guy that most of them said they hoped they didn't have to make a choice on.   Essentially he was the highest risk/reward prospect.  

2.  He also said McLeod has a good shot and that he just doesn't use it enough.   Most reports I saw just said he had a weak shot.

3.  There was apparently a lot of talk that Max Jones might go as high as 10 and that when Marek talked to Jones later, he said Max thought he was going 10th to Colorado as well.  

yeah, reading some of the reports its more of a hesitation to shoot rather than a soft shot... and the kid takes face-offs and plays on the PK so there is a brain there. he also apparently plays the game extremely quick, so there is higher chance of a wrong decision ,,,, now we all hope for the big upside

5 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Nick Baptiste - Bob 36, FC 37, Pronman 76, McKeens 49, Lowetide 33, ISS 31

Some nice picks in there, i left out Cormier and Davies since they are barely ranked.

Did you leave out Nathan Bastian or confuse Baptiste with Bastian??? 

I don't know if this has been said but if you watch some of the videos on Bastian, he played with Nylander and McLeod on Missagua in juniors.  They had a some really amazing chemistry together so it will be a real treat to see if we can get to see Bastian and McLeod together on the same line.  

20 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Nathan Bastian - Bob 36, FC 37, Pronman 76, McKeens 49, Lowetide 33, ISS 31

so what are the near term career paths for our haul? does McLeod and bastian continue to wear the mapleleafs colors next year?

Edited by EdgeControl