2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Laine at #7 is pretty hilarious, I really believe that Laine is going to become this generation's Ovechkin as far as goal scoring dominance, kid just has that kind of power and dominance to his game. Also saw another ranking that had McLeod rated at #3, hopefully our scouting isn't among the people that are fascinated with that kid.

Also, JVR for Andersen and Fowler would be a massive steal for Toronto, Anaheim would be stupid to make a trade based around the value. I like JVR, but he's likely panning out as a very good 2nd line forward, not a legit 1st liner.

Already have a SLIGHT dislike for Laine. He seems to run his mouth... Ill be the first to admit I may be bias'd though due to how annoying the Finnish posters on hfboards have been about him. Could easily change my opinion once I get to see more of him. 

Edited by Toasterleavins

From what everyone is tellIng me about McLeod (and what I've read) he is really fast but that's about it. Most people aren't too excited about the idea of drafting him at 11 but what worries me is that Hynes' system boasts speed and attacking. He might be the guy they're targeting based on that alone. 

Edited by Jerzey

23 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Alexander Nylander? Im seeing more and more mock drafts have him "falling" to us but im not familiar with him at all.

He's a lot like William actually, just without the ability to play center, incredibly quick and for my money might have the best hands in this draft class, gets knocks on defensive play and strength but he's an offensive dynamo, I think he'll be gone before 11 but anything could happen. Have him ranked 7th in my personal rankings.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

From what everyone is tellIng me about McLeod (and what I've read) he is really fast but that's about it. Most people aren't too excited about the idea of drafting him at 11 but what worries me is that Hynes' system boasts speed and attacking. He might be the guy they're targeting based on that alone. 

Yeah, I wouldnt mind NJ jumping into the 20s if McCleod is still available and scooping him up....especially if NJ takes Chychrun, Juolevi or Serg with #11. McCleod will be an NHL but probably a very good 3C with a chance at being 2C if everything works out.  That's a very valuable player but not someone you take in the top half of the first round.

• Like 1

Also, hoping to get this done over the next few days, just doing my final touches on writing, but I'll be putting out my 2016 Draft Book soon. Includes bios for players ranked 1-100, rankings from 101-250, team outlooks, and two mock drafts, about a 40 page book so keep an eye out for that if you're interested :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I guess anxious to see who you put for #11. There was no wishful thinking there CD?

Player I really want is Tyson Jost, who I have getting taken before #11. First mock in the book is just my opinions, second mock is a community mock with about 14 other contributors, mine has the Devils selecting a forward and the community mock has the Devils selecting one of the left shot defensemen.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Also, hoping to get this done over the next few days, just doing my final touches on writing, but I'll be putting out my 2016 Draft Book soon. Includes bios for players ranked 1-100, rankings from 101-250, team outlooks, and two mock drafts, about a 40 page book so keep an eye out for that if you're interested :)

Awesome job with all that work. I'd love to get a copy if possible when it's complete

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re-draft-gaudreau-jumps-to-no-1/c-280996940?tid=277764372

the annual feature where the NHL re order the draft. 

This time it's 2011, we picked Larsson 4th he drops to 22nd in the first round. Gaudreau jumps to 1st. 

Think that's pretty harsh on Lars. 

2 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

What a waste of an interview. Do your research and pry information about certain players in the Devils range.

Last few years TG has been able to give us a few players the Devils have interviewed with and some information about how the players thought it went. Currently feels like the whole blog and any devils news is a side project.  

20 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re-draft-gaudreau-jumps-to-no-1/c-280996940?tid=277764372

the annual feature where the NHL re order the draft. 

This time it's 2011, we picked Larsson 4th he drops to 22nd in the first round. Gaudreau jumps to 1st. 

Think that's pretty harsh on Lars. 

If he came in 2-3 years ago after a few years in juniors of overseas he's top 10 or near it in the redraft. They are being overly punitive due to his growing pains being in the NHL for the most part.

21 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Last few years TG has been able to give us a few players the Devils have interviewed with and some information about how the players thought it went. Currently feels like the whole blog and any devils news is a side project.  

Can't blame Gross for that, because it essentially is. They could pick up the phone and call Todd Cordell and pay him a starting salary and rent money to cover the team, and he'd probably do it; but they probably don't even have that budget to work with, so they're paying Andrew Gross a fraction of that to do bare-bones coverage. And he probably has no choice really.

Really hope we get our own writer in time for camp, it'll be ridiculous if we don't.

Edited by DJ Eco

Just released my Draft Book on my blog, which you can find here:

NHL Draft Board's 2016 Draft Book

You can read it directly on Scribd or download the pdf, I recommend downloading the pdf as Scribd isn't entirely user friendly, but entirely up to you :)

Also released my final mock draft, goes 3 Round deep, which can be found here:

2016 NHL Mock Draft - Final - Rounds 1-3

1. TOR - Auston Mattews, C, Zurich (SUI)
2. WPG - Patrik Laine, LW/RW, Tappara (FIN)
3. CBJ - Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, Karat (FIN)
4. EDM - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)
5. VAN - Mikhail Sergachev, D, Windsor (OHL)
6. CGY - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
7. ARZ - Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)
8. BUF - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)
9. MTL - Alexander Nylander, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
10. COL - Tyson Jost, C/LW, Penticton (BCHL)
11. NJ - Clayton Keller, C, USA U-18 (USDP)

41. NJ - Cameron Morrison, LW, Youngstown (USHL)

73. NJ - David Bernhardt, D, Djugardens J20 (SWE-JR)
77. NJ (via DET) - Dylan Gambrell, C, University of Denver (NCHC)

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 5

It happened to the Devils w/ Mike Van Ryn Bastard. He sucked anyway. We were winning cups when he was shuttling back and forth to his farm team. I thought they would've shut that loop hole

12 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

It happened to the Devils w/ Mike Van Ryn Bastard. He sucked anyway. We were winning cups when he was shuttling back and forth to his farm team. I thought they would've shut that loop hole

What Mike Van Ryn did is much different.  A player cannot leave college for juniors and become a UFA anymore.