2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

49 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Thanks bud, hope all who check it out enjoy it :cheers:

I'm actually going to be headed up to Buffalo for the Draft on Friday with my two brothers, should be a good time. Really enjoyed going to the Draft in 2013 when it was in NJ, Buffalo might be one of the last times in a while that it's in the area.

Awesome.   If the draft ever came here to Tampa I think I'd try to go.  Must've been amazing to see Brodeur make a selection, and that of his son, of all players.

9 hours ago, Lateralous said:

There's been a few nice picks like Henrique, Zajac, Parise etc but I've always felt the Adrain Foster pick in the 1st round of 2001 where it was so off the board they couldn't even find him in the building was the moment Conte and his staff jumped the shark.  I remember at the time thinking that it almost felt like they were out to prove something because there was no reason to think Foster wouldn't have been available at either of our picks in the 2nd round.   

Conte and staff obviously had misses prior to that but the Devils still seemed to pull 2 or 3 good players out of every draft in the 90's.  After 2000, they never really had another year where they got two decent NHLs nevermind the fact that they went many years without one.        

It was a dumb pick with his injury issues. The NHL was still very much a size oriented league...Derek Roy was taken a few slots later and I wonder if he was on our radar but we were scared off because he was 5'8. Steckel I know they were debating about since he was American, big, and they ended up trading for him later.

We had 3 second rounders that year and whiffed on all 3. Pohanka, Pihlman, and Uchevatov. Only Pihlman played in the NHL...15 games. That is ridiculously bad for a 2nd round

Edited by '7'

Hold on to your seat belts folks, this going to be an interesting draft. Hawks looking to unload a Shaw & Kruger (new contract starts this year). There's going to be a lot of tap dancing.  If theres even a slight truth to Severson being moved, Shero's looking for an upgrade over say Schlemko. Wouldn't be shocked if he's inquired about Fowler/Shattenkirk. Not suggesting he'll move on either because of the potential cost.  Man can't wait til tomorrow night.

11 hours ago, '7' said:

It was a dumb pick with his injury issues. The NHL was still very much a size oriented league...Derek Roy was taken a few slots later and I wonder if he was on our radar but we were scared off because he was 5'8. Steckel I know they were debating about since he was American, big, and they ended up trading for him later.

We had 3 second rounders that year and whiffed on all 3. Pohanka, Pihlman, and Uchevatov. Only Pihlman played in the NHL...15 games. That is ridiculously bad for a 2nd round

The Devils had just taken Scott Gomez 3 years earlier.  I don't think size had anything to do with it.  Foster was their guy.  To me that's more an issue of 'seeing him good' - players' performances can vary wildly game to game depending on circumstances, and obviously NJ couldn't've seen Foster a ton - they must've come to the right game where Foster played really well.

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Devils had just taken Scott Gomez 3 years earlier.  I don't think size had anything to do with it.  Foster was their guy.  To me that's more an issue of 'seeing him good' - players' performances can vary wildly game to game depending on circumstances, and obviously NJ couldn't've seen Foster a ton - they must've come to the right game where Foster played really well.

Either Conte or Lou talked about the Foster pick briefly a year or two ago.   Whoever it was mentioned how highly touted he was coming into the CHL, and that they were betting that he had huge upside despite his injury history. 

The big problem with the pick was that no other team had him on their radar, and it was foolish to take him with a first round pick.  I mean, I know you never know what other teams' draft boards are, and it's possible another team would have snagged him before the Devils had the chance to pick again, but sometimes you have to make selections based on predicting who other teams are going to select. 

I guess it's a little similar to the Jets taking Christian Hackenberg in the second round at this year's draft. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I guess it's a little similar to the Jets taking Christian Hackenberg in the second round at this year's draft. 

QB is a different animal though, when you don't have one , you do anything to try and get one.  but yeah, Mac had a woody for hack (skill set)

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Either Conte or Lou talked about the Foster pick briefly a year or two ago.   Whoever it was mentioned how highly touted he was coming into the CHL, and that they were betting that he had huge upside despite his injury history. 

The big problem with the pick was that no other team had him on their radar, and it was foolish to take him with a first round pick.  I mean, I know you never know what other teams' draft boards are, and it's possible another team would have snagged him before the Devils had the chance to pick again, but sometimes you have to make selections based on predicting who other teams are going to select. 

The Devils moved down once in that draft and I would hope they tried to move down again.  You have no idea what other teams are looking at who - if that's the top guy on your list, you have to take him.

41 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So I'm going to be in a car during the majority of the draft.. you guys think there's a chance there will be an audio stream available somewhere?

I don't remember if the NHL offered one last year through the app.

Maybe try TuneIn Radio, they usually have a good selection of streams for stuff like this

I am too excited to get Clayton Keller...it seems to good to be true to get the next Kane, Marner or Drouin type prospect. I also have a feeling Severson will be traded for a mid first round pick.

I'm honestly worried Keller will be gone by 11... He seems to have moved up everyone's list.

i could see MTL passing Keller cause if there's something they need to work on is getting bigger. And as talented as he is... he's not helping that at all and they have tons of small players. So hopefully they'll pass and well the avalanches have tons of centers already and need help on the D so again hopefully they draft for need

actually i just found this article where basically no one is picking MTL picking Keller 

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/22/11986816/nhl-mock-draft-2016-montreal-canadiens-ninth-overall-pick-rumours-roundup

Edited by SterioDesign

On 6/21/2016 at 7:05 PM, CommonDreads said:

Just released my Draft Book on my blog, which you can find here:

NHL Draft Board's 2016 Draft Book

You can read it directly on Scribd or download the pdf, I recommend downloading the pdf as Scribd isn't entirely user friendly, but entirely up to you :)

Also released my final mock draft, goes 3 Round deep, which can be found here:

2016 NHL Mock Draft - Final - Rounds 1-3

This is really awesome stuff, thanks for putting it together! I really liked the team by team draft outlook feature!

Keller is a strong, shifty skater with a powerful shot, displaying brilliance and hockey sense strikingly similar to what Marner brings to the ice. And while Marner is a winger, Keller is equally adept at bringing you out of your seat while leaving amazed opponents on the very edge of theirs. He’s schooled amateurs of all ages — U.S. college seniors, European stars, NHL-bound Canadian juniors; it doesn’t matter. He’s a hard-nosed, fearless player with a lot of flash, but he’s been Team USA’s leader and go-to option for every critical situation – defensive zone draws, killing penalties, gaining entry into the offensive zone, etc. Does he have franchise potential? We’ll let you judge for yourself, but keep in mind he’s nearly produced as much as Jack Eichel and Auston Matthews did with the NTDP. Keller is also nearly a year younger than Matthews, who set the NTDP scoring record a year ago with 117 points. If Keller keep his current pace for the rest of the season and through the 2016 U18 tournament, he’ll come close to matching him.

This gets me real excited if we do get him.

I really think Keller doesn't get past 9.  He may even go Top 8.  I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'm interested to see if Shero pulls off a trade tonight back into Round 1 or for a player.