2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Yes, Kessel wanted to get paid. I guess part of it is the character assassinations that went on in the media afterwards and the "Behind The B"-clip when they decided on Seguin certainly didn't help my view of that. 

As for Chiarelli changing...I mean, I'd like to believe you change and understand your mistakes when you do trades like that, but the Reinhart move makes it really hard for me to believe that. 

I suppose you can chalk the Reinhart trade up to misjudging the upside of a young player, which isn't quite the same thing as giving away a 20 year old forward that you drafted number 2 a few years earlier.  I mean, whoever Edmonton was going to draft at 14, if they kept the pick, would not have helped them out for at least four years.  And given that Edmonton has to be in win-now mode and needed and still needs defensemen in the worst way, it wasn't a totally irrational move.  Or, to put it another way, it's not smoking gun evidence that whatever team I root for would be able to steal someone like RNH, or that Chiarella is ready to go full-Milbury in the near future. 

I mean, could you see Chiarella being stupid enough to trade RNH to the Devils for a package of Merrill (even he manages to eventually put up half-way respectable point numbers this year), Blackwood and some other stuff the Devils don't need? 

I suppose you can chalk the Reinhart trade up to misjudging the upside of a young player, which isn't quite the same thing as giving away a 20 year old forward that you drafted number 2 a few years earlier.  I mean, whoever Edmonton was going to draft at 14, if they kept the pick, would not have helped them out for at least four years.  And given that Edmonton has to be in win-now mode and needed and still needs defensemen in the worst way, it wasn't a totally irrational move.  Or, to put it another way, it's not smoking gun evidence that whatever team I root for would be able to steal someone like RNH, or that Chiarella is ready to go full-Milbury in the near future. 

I mean, could you see Chiarella being stupid enough to trade RNH to the Devils for a package of Merrill (even he manages to eventually put up half-way respectable point numbers this year), Blackwood and some other stuff the Devils don't need? 

No, I'm not saying they're the same thing. I'm saying that he misjudges players and their value in today's NHL. I don't oppose trading good players per se, but I don't think based on his track record, that Chiarelli is good enough to do that and get the proper return. Giving up a mid-first round pick for Reinhart who at least in the circles I read was seen as a pretty underwhelming prospect and entering Bustville. I get that you're exchanging a future for a more immediate future but still. Bad asset management. 

Edit: anyways, I've derailed this thread enough, this isn't the Chiarelli Thread.

Edited by Marshall

Chychrun got cut from the World Juniors squad. Does this hurt his stock? You gotta figure him not being there to showcase and the likelihood of the other top guys tearing it up might bump him out of the top 5. If Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Laine, whoever put up excellent numbers, he might drop. Dubois got cut too. Depending on where we finish, Dubois could be someone we're looking at, especially if he falls to 12-15.

4 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Chychrun got cut from the World Juniors squad. Does this hurt his stock? You gotta figure him not being there to showcase and the likelihood of the other top guys tearing it up might bump him out of the top 5. If Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Laine, whoever put up excellent numbers, he might drop. Dubois got cut too. Depending on where we finish, Dubois could be someone we're looking at, especially if he falls to 12-15.

Don't really think so, neither Strome or Marner played in the WJC last year and they went 3-4 respectively, a good World Junior showing can improve draft stock a la Mikko Rantanen but isn't the end all for Draft Eligible players.

Something I am interested to see though is I don't know if Dmitri Sokolov or Mikhail Sergachyov were invited to Russia's WJC selection camp, which is bizarre considering they're both very highly touted 2016 prospects. Also didn't see German Rubtsov or Mikhail Meshcheryakov on their roster, it makes me wonder if Russian hockey is trying to protect draft eligible players from playing on larger stages to potentially protect them from the NHL, but that might be a reach.

11 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Something I am interested to see though is I don't know if Dmitri Sokolov or Mikhail Sergachyov were invited to Russia's WJC selection camp, which is bizarre considering they're both very highly touted 2016 prospects. Also didn't see German Rubtsov or Mikhail Meshcheryakov on their roster, it makes me wonder if Russian hockey is trying to protect draft eligible players from playing on larger stages to potentially protect them from the NHL, but that might be a reach.

Wouldn't put it past them honestly, considering the words that were coming out of Fetisov's mouth the first month after he took the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Another round of draft content, per usual, check it out if you'd like :)

2016 NHL Mock Draft - January 3rd
2016 NHL Draft Rankings - January

1. CBJ - Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)
2. BUF - Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)
3. EDM - Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)
4. TOR - Patrik Laine, LW/RW, Tappara (FIN)
5. PHI - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)
6. ANA - Alexander Nylander, LW/RW, Mississauga (OHL)
7. CAR - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)
8. CGY - Julien Gauthier, C/RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)
9. WPG - Pierre-Luc Dubois, C/LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
10. BOS (via SJ) - Max Jones, LW, London (OHL)
20. NJ - Kieffer Bellows, C/LW, USA U-18 (USHL)

Edited by CommonDreads

• 3 weeks later...

Put up another Mock Draft from January 18th, also provided 10 thoughts on how the Draft Board stands now and some players to keep an eye on. Check it out if you'd like :) The player that I had the Devils picking I included in my 10 Thoughts, actually. Jost is a very intriguing prospect.

2016 NHL Mock Draft - January 18th

1. CBJ - Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)

2. TOR - Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)

3. BUF - Patrik Laine, LW/RW, Tappara (FIN)

4. EDM - Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)

5. CGY - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)

6. WPG - Alexander Nylander, LW/RW, Mississauga (OHL)

7. ANA - Julien Gauthier, C/RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)

8. COL - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)

9. CAR - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

10. VAN - Dante Fabbro, D, Penticton (BCHL)

13. NJ - Tyson Jost, C/LW, Penticton (BCHL)

Edited by CommonDreads

13 minutes ago, nessus said:

A lot of mocks have the Devils taking Jost. Looks like a good fit, but I never know how to interpret a player's performance in the BCHL.

Yeah its hard to find comparables from the BCHL, but the way Jost is destroying that league is ridiculous. Kid is almost two points per game and he has an absolute bullet of a shot, goalies in that league just can't stop it.

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Yeah its hard to find comparables from the BCHL, but the way Jost is destroying that league is ridiculous. Kid is almost two points per game and he has an absolute bullet of a shot, goalies in that league just can't stop it.

What did Zajac do in his draft year?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Man if we could somehow land Julien Gauthier that'd be fvcking amazing. He's projected a bit all over the place from 7th to 13th. I'm assuming were gonna finish around 10

What kind of player is he?

But... If this Cory injury is anything serious, we may be looking top 5. 

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

I think Gauthier has a sky high shooting percentage and plays in the weakest league. If we're taking a player from the Q, I hope it's DuBois

Dubois is apparently more complete but he's also ranked higher i dont think we can get there. I'd like any of those 2 cause id be able to see them play

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

What kind of player is he?

But... If this Cory injury is anything serious, we may be looking top 5. 

i dont think we can make it top 5. im certainly hoping but i can't see it

My concern with Tkachuk is by far the majority of his assists are secondary, and hes playing on a ridiculously stacked team. He is fairly average if you just look at primary assists stat wise. I think hes a complimentary player, but wont be the type to drive much offense on his own. Out of that group of 5 players I want Clayton Keller or Tyson Jost.

Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...