Your Thoughts About: #35 Cory Schneider

Derlique

Hated the trade at first. And by 'at first' I meant the second it was announced by Bettman. I was all in on Nichushkin and couldnt believe he fell to #9. After digesting the news for a few moments (ie me pulling out my phone to look at his stats) I couldnt believe we got him. I think he has something like a .929 career save percentage at the time.

From the moment he stepped on the ice it was obvious he's the real deal. So cool, calm and collected in net. I truly do believe that he and Carey Price are the two most technically sound goalies in the league. He doesnt make man unnecessary movements that cause him to be out of position. Unfortunately, he's so good that he may be ruining our rebuild. While I like Zacha a lot, Schneider took us away from Strome/Marner territory and put us in the next tier. He is literally a rebuild killer lol.

By the time the team becomes good Corey will be on the beginning of the downside of his career.  Wish we had Cory about 3 years sooner, but it is what it is.  Quite honestly I would at least be open to the idea of trading him.  Goalies are important, but not as important as they once were.  An example of this is this year's SCF where the goalies are Bishop, at best OK NHL goalie and Crawford, who is in my eyes an average NHL goalie.  If Cory was on the Blackhawks they probably would have lost no more than 2 games the entire 4 rounds.

I think part of the reason why Blackwood was drafted was because of this scenario.  It gives Shero a way to possibly trade Cory in a year or two and be comfortable with it.  Kinkaid is fine, but not sure how he will pan out and Wedgewood most likely will never sniff NHL action besides emergency call-up purposes.  After that we really do not have much in the pipeline.

Anyways just speaking strictly about Cory going into this season he is an awesome goaltender and is one of the top 5 in the league.  He will prevent us from being in the bottom 3 or 4 teams but it is what it is.  Plus with the new draft lottery rules us coming not in dead last is not the end of the world.

By the time the team becomes good Corey will be on the beginning of the downside of his career.  Wish we had Cory about 3 years sooner, but it is what it is.  Quite honestly I would at least be open to the idea of trading him.  Goalies are important, but not as important as they once were.  An example of this is this year's SCF where the goalies are Bishop, at best OK NHL goalie and Crawford, who is in my eyes an average NHL goalie.  If Cory was on the Blackhawks they probably would have lost no more than 2 games the entire 4 rounds.

I think part of the reason why Blackwood was drafted was because of this scenario.  It gives Shero a way to possibly trade Cory in a year or two and be comfortable with it.  Kinkaid is fine, but not sure how he will pan out and Wedgewood most likely will never sniff NHL action besides emergency call-up purposes.  After that we really do not have much in the pipeline.

Anyways just speaking strictly about Cory going into this season he is an awesome goaltender and is one of the top 5 in the league.  He will prevent us from being in the bottom 3 or 4 teams but it is what it is.  Plus with the new draft lottery rules us coming not in dead last is not the end of the world.

The bolded is true. We have a decent chance at the top 3 even finishing 5th or 6th.

What do I think about Cory Schneider? I think he's the best pure puckstopper this team has had since Brodeur from 2006-2008 when he had his mid 30's resurgence. 

Shame we're wasting this spectacular effort that Cory has given us. 

One of the best in the NHL. Great technique, spectacular to watch. Many people believe that he'll have his downslide in 3-4 years, I believe he'll get it later since he has not played as many games in comparison to other goalies his age in general in his career. And for that reason, I believe NJ will keep him for the 7 years of his contract, and maybe even longer, depending on our situation in 6-7 years. While I agree that a trade is possible, he is the centerpiece of this team and will remain so for a few years at least, and as I said earlier, I believe he will finish his contract here, and lead us deep into the playoffs in a few years.

Edited by Devs3cups

cory is the only reason this team hasnt ended up looking as bad as theyve really been.. almost feel bad in a way that we are wasting his best years and as said by the time the team is in shape to really compete this guy will most likely already have started his downward slope. Oh well what can ya do.

Schneider's ability to play at a high level should not be affected by his age for at least another five years.  He has a lot less mileage than most 29 year old goalies, and he has a credible back up that should allow Cory to be limited to about 65 starts a year. 

Plus, elite goalies tend to age a lot better than skaters.  Marty was actually at his best in his mid 30s.  Lundqvist is still a Vezina caliber goalie at age 33. 

He's almost certainly the reason though that the Devils were drafting 6 instead of in the top 3 or 4. 

Schneider will not prevent the Devils from being one of the bottom teams in the league.  Other than Phoenix, it is a very high bottom league this year - everyone well behind NJ improved hugely except them and NJ arguably got worse and certainly it's hard to argue they got better.  

He's a great goalie and the Devils should keep him unless he wants out.  The Devils will never be able to get a stable of players like the Lightning or Blackhawks.  The only way they win anything in the next 8 years is with an elite goalie.

I just hope the suckage in front of him doesn't wear him down.  Might turn out to be one of those very good to great players who spent far too many of his prime years playing for a bad team (and unfortunately, goalie numbers can really take a beating on bad teams...not that goalie wins are a great measure, but instead of flirting with 40 wins, you're stuck with 25-30, sometimes even less, through no fault of your own).  The "wasted career" was very common with major-league baseball players in the 20s-60s, where some great players were stuck on awful teams simply because they didn't have any choices and couldn't leave to sign elsewhere.  If the Devils are showing little hope in 2-3 years and Cory says he wants out, I won't blame him one bit. 

Schneider will not prevent the Devils from being one of the bottom teams in the league.  Other than Phoenix, it is a very high bottom league this year - everyone well behind NJ improved hugely except them and NJ arguably got worse and certainly it's hard to argue they got better.  

He's a great goalie and the Devils should keep him unless he wants out.  The Devils will never be able to get a stable of players like the Lightning or Blackhawks.  The only way they win anything in the next 8 years is with an elite goalie.

You have Toronto and I think Vancouver could bottom out, though maybe not totally since the Sedins are still good, but I see your point.

Edmonton got McDavid, Sekera and RNH, Yak should have natural progression

Buffalo got ROR and Eichel

Carolina got a decent goalie and had pretty good underlying numbers

You have Toronto and I think Vancouver could bottom out, though maybe not totally since the Sedins are still good, but I see your point.

Edmonton got McDavid, Sekera and RNH, Yak should have natural progression

Buffalo got ROR and Eichel

Carolina got a decent goalie and had pretty good underlying numbers

Even Toronto is clearly better, I think, in part because they have good coaching but they also signed a bunch of veteran players.  The Devils are relying on a bunch of mysteries for their depth guys.

Edited by Triumph

Even Toronto is clearly better, I think, in part because they have good coaching but they also signed a bunch of veteran players.  The Devils are relying on a bunch of mysteries for their depth guys.

I dont think their goaltending is any better than average-slightly above average. Kessel's loss also cant be understated, either. Kapanen looks good, but Kessel is an elite player

• 2 weeks later...

Schneider is by far the best player on the Devils, last season and hopefully this coming season.

Great player wrong team. If I were him I be saying Devils you have two seasons or you trade me.

I actually don't think Cory thinks that way at all. I mean, when he signed the extension last year, he knew the team was going to be bad for some time. I can't imagine him thinking the team would be competitive soon with the roster that was in place. I think he's on board with the process and the change. Edited by Devs3cups