Adidas gets NHL jersey deal. Starts 17-18. Advertising on jerseys poss

ghdi

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/adidas-lands-nhl-jersey-deal-1.346839

The National Hockey League appears poised for radical changes to its team jerseys in the wake of a deal that may pave the way for advertising on team uniforms.
Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2016-17 season.

Adidas takes over from its corporate cousin Reebok, a sports brand owned by Adidas...................

Note: The TSN report is apparently wrong in respect to the date it begins. 17-18 not 16-17.

Edited by ghdi

The day they allow advertising on jerseys is the day I've bought my last jersey. That's where I draw the line. I'm sick and tired of the shameless money grabs every time I turn around. There is advertising literally permeating every bit of empty space everywhere in every professional sports venue in North America- can we leave the fvcking jerseys alone please? PLEASE?! How much fvcking money is enough? (Of course we all know the answer to that- no amount of money is enough, just ask the NFL).

Edited by MadDog2020

Oh for fvcks sake.

Adidas has a knack for making some of the worst uniforms in college sports.  Like, we're talking hideous, embarrassing stuff.  Messing with tradition, using terrible lines/designs.. I actually read a good article about this somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it.

I hope they have limited creative influence at best.

Edit:  Found it - Why does Adidas keep making college teams wear hideous garbage?

Edited by Devilsfan118

Oh for fvcks sake.

Adidas has a knack for making some of the worst uniforms in college sports. Like, we're talking hideous, embarrassing stuff. Messing with tradition, using terrible lines/designs.. I actually read a good article about this somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

I hope they have limited creative influence at best.

I should add that if Adidas pulls that stripe sh!t, I'm also done with buying jerseys. G'head- just keep pissing off the traditionalists like myself 'til ya got nothing left ya fvcktards. Keep trying to squeeze out every last fvcking haypenny at the expense of the people who actually give a fvck.
  • Like 1

The day they allow advertising on jerseys is the day I've bought my last jersey. That's where I draw the line. I'm sick and tired of the shameless money grabs every time I turn around. There is advertising literally permeating every bit of empty space everywhere in every professional sports venue in North America- can we leave the fvcking jerseys alone please? PLEASE?! How much fvcking money is enough? (Of course we all know the answer to that- no amount of money is enough, just ask the NFL).

Couldn't be more with you...I stopped buying jerseys a long time ago (I'm happy with the ones I have, all of which are now several years old, but most are in terrific condition), but every now and then I consider it (maybe a Schneider in my future)...but I really really REALLY hate the idea of turning players into skating billboards.  There's only so much advertising bombardment one can take.  That will definitely kill future jersey purchases. 

I should add that if Adidas pulls that stripe sh!t, I'm also done with buying jerseys. G'head- just keep pissing off the traditionalists like myself 'til ya got nothing left ya fvcktards. Keep trying to squeeze out every last fvcking haypenny at the expense of the people who actually give a fvck.

Amen man, amen.  On all fronts.

It really sucks that tradition (and pretty much everything else) comes second to the almighty dollar.  I mean, that number quoted in the article (4m/team annually, 120m total) pretty much ensures to me that we're going to see ads in the 2017-2018 season.  No way the NHL turns down money like that.

Couldn't agree more. And the Adidas stripes are horrendous, even on jerseys that already have stripes (see 2015-16 Juventus jerseys) .

"perhaps with Adidas’s familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys"

I cant even relate to "Adidas" with hockey...the only thing that relates to me and Adidas is Run DMC! I'm gonna have nightmares with Run DMC wearing Adidas sneakers NOT tied and on ice?! "My Adidas". I'm just shaking my head with this one.

How the hell did these two companies lose to Adidas?! Under Armour and Bauer Hockey

Edited by Devlin

"perhaps with Adidas’s familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys"

I cant even relate to "Adidas" with hockey...the only thing that relates to me and Adidas is Run DMC! I'm gonna have nightmares with Run DMC wearing Adidas sneakers NOT tied and on ice?! "My Adidas". I'm just shaking my head with this one.

How the hell did these two companies lose to Adidas?! Under Armour and Bauer Hockey

Lots and lots of this

apple-cash.jpg

The NHL is begging for one of the other 3 leagues to do ads on jersey's first so they don't look small time if they want to do it first.

Hopefully that's the thinking, which means that it would still be a ways away before we see the players look like billboards as they do in the European leagues, especially the SEL. 

I can live with the small logos of whoever makes the jersey at a particular time.  But yeah, I would never buy a jersey with conspicuous ads.  I have to imagine that the great majority of fans won't either, and that the NHL gets a higher proportion of its revenue from jersey sales than the other leagues.  I wonder though if the NHL goes through with it, if part of the deal is that jerseys can be sold to the public without the advertising on them. 

Edited by Daniel

Hopefully that's the thinking, which means that it would still be a ways away before we see the players look like billboards as they do in the European leagues, especially the SEL. 

I can live with the small logos of whoever makes the jersey at a particular time.  But yeah, I would never buy a jersey with conspicuous ads.  I have to imagine that the great majority of fans won't either, and that the NHL gets a higher proportion of its revenue from jersey sales than the other leagues.  I wonder though if the NHL goes through with it, if part of the deal is that jerseys can be sold to the public without the advertising on them. 

In European soccer, it's not the case. In fact, I find that the sponsor is as much a part of the team as the logo (well almost). For Arsenal, you have "Fly Emirates" for Man City "Etihad". I dont mind them personally, as long as it's tasteful

Mens-Nike-FC-Barcelona-11-Neymar-JR-Blue

I mean... while the above example is still 'passable' in my opinion (not as bad as the SEL - my nightmare scenario), I think it's just a little ridiculous that the center 'crest' of the jersey is a freakin company.  And that the team's logo is much smaller and relegated to the upper right hand corner.

I mean, are you rooting for FC Barcelona?  Or the Qatar Airways, brought to you by UNICEF?

Well, Reebok tried to overhaul things initially but it was a total bust. The jerseys weren't breathable, so the fabric was changes, the jerseys were too tight, so they were loosened, a lot of traditional teams rejected the cookie cutter "Team RBK" vertical piping template and stayed the same. Other teams adopted the design to some extent but later went back to traditional favorites (Flyers, Leafs, Sabres, Oilers) Now they're going to try this crap again so soon after the first flop? Yea no, won't work. The NHL is not going to ever look like clownish college football

Mens-Nike-FC-Barcelona-11-Neymar-JR-Blue

I mean... while the above example is still 'passable' in my opinion (not as bad as the SEL - my nightmare scenario), I think it's just a little ridiculous that the center 'crest' of the jersey is a freakin company. And that the team's logo is much smaller and relegated to the upper right hand corner.

I mean, are you rooting for FC Barcelona? Or the Qatar Airways, brought to you by UNICEF?

Football isn't a great example. Club badges have always been small and in the chest area. There has always been a hell of a lot of blank space on football shirts. Barcelona pretty much held out as the last team without a corporate sponsor. And then for their first shirt they had UNICEF, which they let them have for free.

I doubt the NHL has enough appeal for single company sponsors either. The reason it tends to work in football (especially for bigger teams) is because companies want to pay for the exclusivity, and they pay a lot of money for it. Look at Manchester United 's deal with Chevrolet.