2015–16 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Figured I'd start this thread now that prospect season has officially started.

New Additions: C Pavel Zacha, G Mackenzie Blackwood, RW Blake Speers, D Colton White, LW Brett Seney

Going Pro: C Joseph Blandisi, C Ryan Kujawinski, C Blake Pietila, C Blake Coleman

Not Signed: G Anthony Brodeur - Most likely heading to Penticton (BCHL) if you're wondering.

NCAA
C Alexander Kerfoot (Harvard - JR)
D Steve Santini (Boston College - JR)
C JD Dudek (Boston College - FR)
LW Miles Wood (Boston College - FR)
LW Brett Seney (Merrimack - SO)

OHL
RW Connor Chatham (Flint)
D Josh Jacobs (Sarnia)
C Pavel Zacha (Sarnia)
G Mackenzie Blackwood (Barrie)
RW Blake Speers (Sault Ste. Marie)
D Colton White (Sault Ste. Marie)

WHL
C John Quenneville (Brandon)
D Ryan Rehill (Kamloops)
LW Brandon Baddock (Edmonton)

KHL
C/LW Artur Gavrus (Dinamo Minsk)

---------------------------------------------------

Note: The Devils will have G Ken Appleby (Oshawa - OHL), D Jacob Sweeney (Moncton - QMJHL) and F Alexandre Goulet (Charlottetown - QMJHL) in training camp on ATO's. Appleby and Sweeney have exhausted their draft eligibility and are free agents. Goulet still has another year of eligiblity left but can sign with the Devils as long as it happen prior to the start of the season.

---------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 8/25
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Spartak Moskva 4-3 (OT)
Artur Gavrus LW: -1, 1 Shot, 0/1 Faceoff, 3 Hits, 19:01 TOI

-- Looks like he's starting out the season in a top 6 role. Hopefully he can produce enough to stay there.

• Like 3

Im really excited of the prospects of this draft. All 5 players have a good chance to breakout as a prospect. Even Colton White won't be buried on the depth charts this year. Speers and Zacha could both be in top 15 in OHL points by seasons end.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Love this thread. Looking at the NCAA guys, I wonder if in the past,  Conte would just call B.C. , and ask about the kids they've recruited?  Makes a lil easier, B.C. (or any college for that matter) scouts have done all "leg work". 

Looking forward to see what Josh Jacobs does this year in Sarnia.  Guys like Pronman don't seem very high on him.  I don't believe he was even in his Devils' top ten prospects. 

Still, he has something of a Severson vibe to him, in that he's flying somewhat under the radar and also that the scouting staff were apparently thrilled he was available in the second round.  (Yes, I know, the same scouting staff that we've all been dumping on for the past couple of years). 

Re: Goulet being in training camp, I'd love for the Devils to sign him. He looked very good at the development camp over the summer, he'd be a nice signing. If Appleby plays well also, I wouldn't mind him as well to add some depth to our goaltender pool.

Darnn near ppg player. Worth a look at least. I think it's awesome we're competing against "B's & Buffalo rookies. Everyone will get an opportunity to prove themselves.

and get to be buds on the bus trip. 

Wednesday 9/2
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Jokerit 1-0
Artur Gavrus LW: E, 0/1 Faceoff, 14:24 TOI

Note:
-- Not a Devils prospect but still interesting (to me at least), Jack DeBoer committed to Boston University (source). He's currently playing his prep hockey at Salisbury School in Connecticut. He's '00 so he still has a few more years until he would get to college and of course the major junior route is still an option.

Sunday 8/30

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to Dinamo Riga 4-0

Artur Gavrus LW: -2, 3 Shots, 12:03 TOI, 1 Block, 2 Hits

Note:

-- One World Sports will have Dinamo Minsk vs. Jokerit on Wednesday 9/2 at 11:30 AM. A lot of people don't get that channel but I have it on FiOS (ch 309).

I watched a little of Lokomotive (forgot who they were playing) game the other night.

I watched a little of Lokomotive (forgot who they were playing) game the other night.

I love watching the KHL. I watched quite a bit last year and plan on watching a lot more this year, especially since I'm tracking passes for the passing project. So far I gotta finish the opening game of the year between SKA - CSKA, then I have 4 more games on the DVR, including Dinamo Minsk - Jokerit so I'll get a look at Gavrus. I'll probably end up with a decent amount of SKA, CSKA, and Jokerit games if the schedule is anything like last year's.

Thursday 9/10
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 3-2 (SO)
Artur Gavrus LW: E, 3 Shots, 1/4 Faceoffs, 14:52 TOI, 2 Hits
Season: 6 GP 0-1-1, -3, 0.00 SH%, 2.17 SH/GP, 10.00 FO%, 15:07 ATOI

Notes:

-- Tom Gulitti notes that Ben Johnson will be sitting out rookie camp, the prospect challenge this weekend, and most likely main training camp as he awaits an October 30 ruling in his trial. TG also mentions that Johnson will face a second trial for another sexual assault charge.

-- TG also has the roster for this weekend's prospect challenge in Buffalo. It will be a good opportunity for Appleby, Sweeney, and Goulet to impress the Devils as they try to earn a contract.

I love watching the KHL. I watched quite a bit last year and plan on watching a lot more this year, especially since I'm tracking passes for the passing project. So far I gotta finish the opening game of the year between SKA - CSKA, then I have 4 more games on the DVR, including Dinamo Minsk - Jokerit so I'll get a look at Gavrus. I'll probably end up with a decent amount of SKA, CSKA, and Jokerit games if the schedule is anything like last year's.

If you do passing for Jokerit, you'll love Mathis Olimb, number 41.  :wub:

I'm not going to watch this whole thing but my biggest takeaway is that the Devils should be offering Alex Goulet a contract.  I'm 18 minutes in and so far he's made two excellent plays, he did some nice outmuscling in the corner, and he scores a nice goal later - plus he was the talk of development camp, and his numbers in the Q are not bad at all.   His contract would slide this year so he wouldn't count on the reserve list.