2015–16 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

How is that excessive? He tomahawked a guy's face with his stick.

After re-watching the video, it's actually not that excessive, and even less so when you consider he'll really only be missing the two games in the WJC, because a few of the games he's suspended for Barrie he'd miss anyway since he'll be at the WJC. The punishment fits the crime I think, all things considered. That was a nasty chop with the stick. Edited by MadDog2020

Wednesday 12/9
WHL
Brandon defeated Moose Jaw 6-5
John Quenneville C: Goal, 2 Assists, +1, 1st Star

-- Quenneville now has 13 goals and 20 assists in 25 games.

KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to CSKA 3-1
Artur Gavrus LW: DNP (Concussion)

Thursday 12/10
OHL
Barrie lost to London 6-3
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP (Suspended)

Sault Ste. Marie defeatd Peterborough 4-1
Blake Speers RW: 2 Goals (1 EN), Assist, +3, 3 Shots, 5/11 Faceoffs, 2nd Star
Colton White D: Assist, +3, 3 Shots

-- Speers now has 9 goals and 20 assists in 29 games. He's on a 5 game point streak with 5 goals and 5 assists during that stretch.

WHL
Edmonton lost to Swift Current 3-1
Brandon Baddock C: -1

NCAA
Boston College lost to Notre Dame 4-3
Steve Santini D: +2, 2 Shots
Miles Wood LW: DNP (Illness)
JD Dudek RW: -2, 1 Shot, 1/2 Faceoffs

I'd like to see them higher than that but still good to see Zacha (28th) and Speers (30th) in the top 30 in scoring. At least they are a point per game players so far which i'd be disappointed if they weren't also a bunch of guys ahead of them are a year older so obviously that makes a difference at that level.

But Zach 17 goals in 23 games is still really good

I'd like to see them higher than that but still good to see Zacha (28th) and Speers (30th) in the top 30 in scoring. At least they are a point per game players so far which i'd be disappointed if they weren't also a bunch of guys ahead of them are a year older so obviously that makes a difference at that level.

But Zach 17 goals in 23 games is still really good

Zacha has 30 pts in 23 games. The next closest forward has 20 pts in 28 games. Considering his team has no forwards, he's putting up great numbers

Zacha has 30 pts in 23 games. The next closest forward has 20 pts in 28 games. Considering his team has no forwards, he's putting up great numbers

Agreed. I think it's very telling how big the gap is between Zacha and the next highest scorer on his team.

Worrying about the overall points in junior is a lot like worrying that a Texas Tech wide receiver might be putting up more catches and yards than a guy like Odell Beckham when he was at LSU or Julio Jones at Bama. That's not to say the TT receiver can't be Michael Crabtree, but just like college football, a lot of junior scoring has to do with the team and system you're in. Especially with London, those guys put out an all start team on the PP and seem to score on every single opportunity. There are nights when it seems like Marner, Dvorak and Tkachuk get like 5 points each and end the night -1. Does that really make them better prospects than guys like Zacha or Konecny who are kind of doing it more on their own? Opponents are focusing on Zacha and he's still finding ways to get that shot off in traffic.

Speaking of London, I was under the impression from Leafs fans that everyone in London was just riding the coattails of Marner, yet Dvorak still put up 3 points last night without MM in the lineup. What gives? Domi seems to be doing alright without him as well.

Btw I actually do think Marner is a fantastic player, I just hate listening to Leafs fans. They've already got him penciled in as Patrick Kane with a selke.

Friday 12/11
OHL
Flint lost to Mississauga 3-0
Connor Chatham RW: -2, 3 Shots

Sarnia lost to Windsor 3-0
Pavel Zacha C: DNP (Czech Republic WJC Camp)
Josh Jacobs D: -1, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 1 Shot

Sault Ste. Marie lost to Kingston 4-1
Blake Speers RW: -1, 1 Shot, 5/7 Faceoffs
Colton White D: -2

WHL
Brandon lost to Lethbridge 5-3
John Quenneville C: DNP (Canada - WJC Camp)

Kamloops defeated Saskatoon 6-2
Ryan Rehill D: +4, 3 Shots

NCAA
Merrimack tied Connecticut 3-3
Brett Seney C: DNP (Undisclosed Injury)

KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Severstal 5-0

Saturday 12/12
OHL
Barrie defeated Hamilton 5-1
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP (Suspended/Canada WJC Camp)

WHL
Brandon defeated Kelowna 5-1
John Quenneville C: DNP (Canada WJC Camp)

Kamloops defeated Prince Albert 5-2
Ryan Rehill D: Assist (PP), E, 6 Shots

Edmonton lost to Medicine Hat 5-3
Brandon Baddock C: 2 Goals, +1

Sunday 12/13
OHL
Flint lost to Sarnia 5-2
Connor Chatham RW: Goal, E, 5 Shots
Pavel Zacha C: DNP (Czech Republic WJC Camp)
Josh Jacobs D: Assist, +3, 4 Shots

Sault Ste. Marie defeated Ottawa 8-5
Blake Speers RW: Goal, Assist, +3, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 2 Shots, 6/12 Faceoffs
Colton White D: -1, 2 Shots

WHL
Edmonton lost to Medicine Hat 5-4
Brandon Baddock C: Goal, E, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 3 Shots

KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Dinamo Riga 5-3

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McKenzie has some interesting stuff on Miles Wood here- scroll down a bit: http://www.tsn.ca/taking-stock-of-the-u-s-college-free-agent-class-1.410105

A little disheartening in that Wood can be a free agent in the summer of 2017.  You'd think there's something like a 50/50 shot that he'll go that route.  Highly unlikely that he'll be in the NHL next year if he signed a contract after this season, so might as well play another year at BC and get to choose the team he wants to play for at that point.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A little disheartening in that Wood can be a free agent in the summer of 2017.  You'd think there's something like a 50/50 shot that he'll go that route.  Highly unlikely that he'll be in the NHL next year if he signed a contract after this season, so might as well play another year at BC and get to choose the team he wants to play for at that point.

I don't think the chances are anywhere near 50/50.  Getting to choose where you go is really not that desirable.  The Devils are the only team that can guarantee they won't treat him like found money.

Just now, Triumph said:

I don't think the chances are anywhere near 50/50.  Getting to choose where you go is really not that desirable.  The Devils are the only team that can guarantee they won't treat him like found money.

I don't follow.  He can sign this offseason, but, in all likelihood, he'll be playing in the AHL for the entire year.  Or, he can play another year at BC and then choose what team he wants to play for, and presumably one with which he has a better shot of being in the NHL immediately at that point.   I don't see the downside from his standpoint, or at least not a big enough downside that he'll feel compelled to get a deal a year earlier. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't follow.  He can sign this offseason, but, in all likelihood, he'll be playing in the AHL for the entire year.  Or, he can play another year at BC and then choose what team he wants to play for, and presumably one with which he has a better shot of being in the NHL immediately at that point.   I don't see the downside from his standpoint, or at least not a big enough downside that he'll feel compelled to get a deal a year earlier. 

The big risk is you have an injury that costs you any NHL contract. 

There aren't many NHL teams that could give Wood a quicker path to the NHL either, imo. 

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Because choosing what team you play for is not at all easy.  It's not easy for NHL UFAs and they know the league much better and various systems and how they'd fit into a particular team.  Because being guaranteed NHL time is a Devil's bargain when you consider that Wood is probably not ready for the NHL or at the very least isn't a guarantee to jump into a lineup and perform well enough to stay in a top 9 - so if after 15 games things aren't going well, it's down to the AHL and now you're behind that team's drafted prospects because teams tend to give their drafted prospects more of a chance.  Because BC is practically NJ north - they have 3 players drafted there and the AGM and GM's sons all play hockey there.  

It's not a guarantee that Miles Wood will be a Devil, but I'd love to get down a bet at 50/50 that he will be.

12 minutes ago, Devils731 said:

The big risk is you have an injury that costs you any NHL contract. 

There aren't many NHL teams that could give Wood a quicker path to the NHL either, imo

I have to agree with this.  On a team devoid of top 6 talent, and starving for skilled forwards, we are the one of the best options for a player like Wood looking to make the quickest jump to the NHL from college. 

That said, I think this rule allowing these drafted players to become a FA after a certain period of time is a bunch of BS.  IMO, the player's rights should be held by the organization that drafted him for a 1 year period after the player leaves college or juniors, unless the team doesn't make the player a contract offer at the time they leave school or their junior program.  At the very least, the team that loses the player should get a compensatory pick in the upcoming draft at the end of the round that they originally drafted that player in.  To lose the player for nothing because the player decides to stay in college (which is a right the player has and should have) is unfair.