2015–16 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Thursday 4/21
OHL Eastern Conference Finals
#2 Barrie lost to #4 Niagara 3-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 39 Saves on 42 Shots, 3rd Star

Friday 4/22
WHL Eastern Conference Finals
#E1 Brandon defeated #C2 Red Deer 4-3 (OT) (Lead Series 1-0)
John Quenneville C: 2 Goals (OT GWG), +2, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 1st Star

17 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I'm finding it hard not to be excited about this guy. Is it the league he plays in that has people skeptical? Isn't that the same league Barzal plays in?

It's the fact that he didn't have a great year last year (which might have had something to do with injuries), that his team is pretty stacked to begin with (Brandon has who figures to be the number 1 overall pick next year Nolan Patrick) and that his skills don't really wow anyone. 

He gets compared a lot to Henrique, who is a good player, but not someone that is really going to make a team that much better on his own. 

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

It's the fact that he didn't have a great year last year (which might have had something to do with injuries), that his team is pretty stacked to begin with (Brandon has who figures to be the number 1 overall pick next year Nolan Patrick) and that his skills don't really wow anyone. 

He gets compared a lot to Henrique, who is a good player, but not someone that is really going to make a team that much better on his own. 

Fair enough I suppose. Even if he turns into a garbage goal scorer, though, I'll take it. We need those kinds of goals desperately. Smith-Pelley has been a pretty good garbage man so far but the more the merrier.

HF has Blackwood ranked as the OHL's #1 ranked Goalie prospect.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/137789/colts-blackwood-the-best-of-slim-ohl-group-of-nhl-goaltending-properties-in-2015-16/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=colts-blackwood-the-best-of-slim-ohl-group-of-nhl-goaltending-properties-in-2015-16

1. Mackenzie Blackwood, Barrie Colts (NJD)
Selected in the second round, 42nd overall, in the 2015 NHL Draft

Mackenzie Blackwood has shown consistency and solid play between the pipes for the past two years to position himself not only as the top NHL-drafted netminder, but easily one of the top goalies in the entire league.

This year was a notable one for Blackwood. A suspension over the holidays delayed his appearance in the IIHF World Junior Championship. And while the WJC may not have gone the way Blackwood would have liked, he came back to the OHL and continued to improve his game.

Last year, he finished the season with a 3.09 goals-against average; this year, he lowered that to a 2.72 goals-against, improved his save percentage to .921 and finished the season 28-13 with three shutouts.

At 6’4 and 225 pounds, the Thunder Bay, ON native has the desired NHL size and looks to have a promising future within the New Jersey Devils’ organization.

Edited by Jerzey

16 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to not get excited about JQ. Kid has been money when the lights are on. 

I agree. Between him, Speers, Kerfoot, Wood, and Zacha there should be an impact player or two there. I am defintitely not as pessimistic as some about our future. There was a hockey's future article basically saying the same thing. Here it is:

Devils Organizational Progress

2 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Miles Wood will not be a top 6 forward, he has a bad shot and his playmaking isn't elite. Unless he develops an elite touch in tight I can't see him scoring much more than 15 goals on a good year.

Ive heard him compared to Kreider and that sure as hell is an accurate description of him, although I think he may be able to chip in on a second line occasionally if he develops.

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Miles Wood will not be a top 6 forward, he has a bad shot and his playmaking isn't elite. Unless he develops an elite touch in tight I can't see him scoring much more than 15 goals on a good year.

Those 10 goals at BC don't look too promising - good news is that there's some time for him to figure this stuff out.

59 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Those 10 goals at BC don't look too promising - good news is that there's some time for him to figure this stuff out.

He shot almost 6 % lower than other BC top scorers so he probably had some bad luck. I do agree that he is unlikely to become a top 6 forward. However, if he can pot 10-15 goals, 30 pts, he'll be one of the best 3rd liners in the league. He already looks like a pain in the ass on the forecheck and should be very good on the pk with his size and reach.

You see that move all the time in practice but I've never seen someone pull off the absolute roof job on the shot the way Quenneville did, in a game nonetheless.  Absolutely amazing.  I really hope we have another Henrique with him.