Jump to content

2015–16 Prospect Thread


thefiestygoat
 Share

Recommended Posts

Saturday 3/19
OHL
Sarnia defeated Saginaw 6-4
Pavel Zacha C: 3 Assists (2 PP), +1, 2 PIM (Holding), 2 Shots, 3/14 Faceoffs
Josh Jacobs D: DNP (Probably rested?)

-- Zacha's 5 game point streak: 3 goals and 8 assists.

Barrie defeated Sudbury 11-4
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 24 Saves on 28 Shots

WHL
Brandon defeated Regina 3-0
John Quenneville C: E

Kamloops defeated Prince George 2-0
Ryan Rehill D: DNP (Probably rested?)

Edmonton lost to Red Deer 7-2
Brandon Baddock C: Assist (PP), E

NCAA
ECAC Championship
Harvard lost to Quinnipiac 4-1
Alex Kerfoot C: -1, 3 Shots, 5/15 Faceoffs

-- Harvard is still likely to recieve an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the concerns about Zacha's production are ridiculous. He has been battling some injuries, including a concussion, and looks to be back on track again. Was also voted one of the best penalty killers (or short handed threats? cant remember which) in the ohl, as well as making the list for hardest shot. 

There's a reason so many teams passed on Marner after the Devils took Zacha.

Edited by Toasterleavins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

I think the concerns about Zacha's production are ridiculous. He has been battling some injuries, including a concussion, and looks to be back on track again. Was also voted one of the best penalty killers (or short handed threats? cant remember which) in the ohl, as well as making the list for hardest shot. 

There's a reason so many teams passed on Marner after the Devils took Zacha.

Although I agree with what you said, what do you mean with the passed on Marner thing? Zacha was selected 6th, Marner was 4th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

I think the concerns about Zacha's production are ridiculous. He has been battling some injuries, including a concussion, and looks to be back on track again. Was also voted one of the best penalty killers (or short handed threats? cant remember which) in the ohl, as well as making the list for hardest shot. 

There's a reason so many teams passed on Marner after the Devils took Zacha.

I'm assuming you mean Barzal and not Marner?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zacha was battling injuries last year too, and that was also used as an excuse last year.  If the guy is going to play an ultra-physical game/get hurt lots, then playing at less than 100% is going to become a regular thing for him and we have to expect him to struggle sometimes because of nagging injuries.  He's having a fine year, but he's just not scoring at a prodigious rate - it's good, not great.  It's unlikely he becomes a great scorer in the NHL without being a great scorer in juniors first.

Edited by Triumph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunday 3/20
OHL
Windsor defeated Sarnia 6-3
Connor Chatham RW: Goal, 3 Assists, +3, 6 Shots, 2nd Star
Pavel Zacha C: DNP (Probably rest)
Josh Jacobs D: -1, 1 Shot

Barrie lost to North Bay 3-2 (SO)
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP

Sault Ste. Marie defeated Guelph 8-3
Blake Speers C: 2 Goals (1 PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 11 Shots, 1/4 Faceoffs
Colton White D: +2, 1 Shot

-- Speers had 11 goals and 13 assists over the final 16 games of the season.

------------------
OHL Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
#2 Barrie (Blackwood) vs. #7 Mississauga

Western Conference
#2 Sarnia (Zacha, Jacobs) vs. #7 Sault Ste. Marie (Speers, White)
#5 Windsor (Chatham) vs. #4 Kitchener
------------------
WHL Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference Tiebreaker
Edmonton (Baddock) vs. Medicine Hat

Eastern Conference
#E1 Brandon (Quenneville) vs. #W2 Edmonton (Baddock)/Medicine Hat

Western Conference
#B3 Kamloops (Rehill) vs. #B2 Kelowna
------------------
NCAA Tournament
Northeast Regional
#2 Boston College (Santini, Wood, Dudek) vs. #3 Harvard (Kerfoot)

-- This game will be on ESPNU on Friday at 8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Triumph said:

Zacha was battling injuries last year too, and that was also used as an excuse last year.  If the guy is going to play an ultra-physical game/get hurt lots, then playing at less than 100% is going to become a regular thing for him and we have to expect him to struggle sometimes because of nagging injuries.  He's having a fine year, but he's just not scoring at a prodigious rate - it's good, not great.  It's unlikely he becomes a great scorer in the NHL without being a great scorer in juniors first.

He was producing at an expected rated imo for the beginning of the year when Sarnia was awful... and was definitely carrying the load for the entire team offensively. Right when sarnia traded for a few players his play seemed to decline and then he was injured. Since coming back he's been great... it's certainly been a strange two years for zacha in the ohl.

 

I guess what I'm saying is people certainly seem eager to write him off as a bad pick based on small sample sizes. It's just way too early. Someone pointed out on hfboards Jamie benn  had a similar plus 1 ohl year which is food for thought.

 

The admittedly limited viewing I've had of him (maybe 10 ohl games and a couple preseason games) I've been impressed. His vision/hockey sense stood out to me and that's one thing people don't like about him so I dunno. I'm certainly no nhl talent evaluater, just my 2 cents.

Edited by Toasterleavins
benn not bend
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Triumph said:

Zacha was battling injuries last year too, and that was also used as an excuse last year.  If the guy is going to play an ultra-physical game/get hurt lots, then playing at less than 100% is going to become a regular thing for him and we have to expect him to struggle sometimes because of nagging injuries.  He's having a fine year, but he's just not scoring at a prodigious rate - it's good, not great.  It's unlikely he becomes a great scorer in the NHL without being a great scorer in juniors first.

While we would all feel more comfortable if Zacha were really tearing up the OHL, I would say his point totals are good enough that it's not that big a cause for concern, especially when you consider his skill set.  It would be one thing if his PPG is what it was last season, but there's been significant improvement.  The other thing to keep in mind is that he's apparently very good defensively, having been named among the best penalty killers in the OHL.  He also apparently did a very good job against McDavid in last year's OHL playoffs.  Not that I wouldn't be slightly disappointed if his ceiling is Travis Zajac so far as offense goes, just that poor defensive play is what often keeps guys who put up a lot of points in junior from succeeding at the NHL level. 

On the other hand, we shouldn't expect him to be the missing piece that will significantly improve the team on his own, even when he hits his prime.  Hopefully though, there are two other forward prospects in the system that exceed expectations.  It's also imperative that this year's draft has to turn out well.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

While we would all feel more comfortable if Zacha were really tearing up the OHL, I would say his point totals are good enough that it's not that big a cause for concern, especially when you consider his skill set.  It would be one thing if his PPG is what it was last season, but there's been significant improvement.  The other thing to keep in mind is that he's apparently very good defensively, having been named among the best penalty killers in the OHL.  He also apparently did a very good job against McDavid in last year's OHL playoffs.  Not that I wouldn't be slightly disappointed if his ceiling is Travis Zajac so far as offense goes, just that poor defensive play is what often keeps guys who put up a lot of points in junior from succeeding at the NHL level. 

On the other hand, we shouldn't expect him to be the missing piece that will significantly improve the team on his own, even when he hits his prime.  Hopefully though, there are two other forward prospects in the system that exceed expectations.  It's also imperative that this year's draft has to turn out well.   

It matters because he SHOULD be dominating a junior league with his size and skill. When he gets to the NHL, he's gonna be going up against bigger, stronger and faster players, not to mention better defensive schemes. Now, I think the injury sustained at the WJC was what really held him back. Pre-injury: 30 pts in 23 games......Post-WJC----> concussion that caused him to miss 4 games: 21 pts in 21 games.......After he came back from the concussion: 13 pts in 7 games. I wouldn't doubt that his muscular injury that he sustained in December didn't fully heal until he got ~2 weeks off for a concussion. Muscular injuries really linger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

What do you think about Speers so far??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like him, he's having a real good year and I think he'll really dominate the OHL next season.  100 points not out of the question.

22 hours ago, Daniel said:

While we would all feel more comfortable if Zacha were really tearing up the OHL, I would say his point totals are good enough that it's not that big a cause for concern, especially when you consider his skill set.  It would be one thing if his PPG is what it was last season, but there's been significant improvement.  The other thing to keep in mind is that he's apparently very good defensively, having been named among the best penalty killers in the OHL.  He also apparently did a very good job against McDavid in last year's OHL playoffs.  Not that I wouldn't be slightly disappointed if his ceiling is Travis Zajac so far as offense goes, just that poor defensive play is what often keeps guys who put up a lot of points in junior from succeeding at the NHL level. 

On the other hand, we shouldn't expect him to be the missing piece that will significantly improve the team on his own, even when he hits his prime.  Hopefully though, there are two other forward prospects in the system that exceed expectations.  It's also imperative that this year's draft has to turn out well.   

Let's not conclude from a coaches' poll and one series that Zacha is good defensively.  There've been good penalty killers who are not good defensive players and vice versa (Rick Nash and Bobby Holik).  Zacha has the kind of speed where he'll make life hard on opposing point men.

I'm not concerned about Zacha.  I don't think he'll be a star, that's all.  Devils fans are expecting this guy to be a star forward and it doesn't look like he will be, though he certainly still has plenty of time to develop into one.  I think he'll be a good NHLer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Like him, he's having a real good year and I think he'll really dominate the OHL next season.  100 points not out of the question.

Let's not conclude from a coaches' poll and one series that Zacha is good defensively.  There've been good penalty killers who are not good defensive players and vice versa (Rick Nash and Bobby Holik).  Zacha has the kind of speed where he'll make life hard on opposing point men.

I'm not concerned about Zacha.  I don't think he'll be a star, that's all.  Devils fans are expecting this guy to be a star forward and it doesn't look like he will be, though he certainly still has plenty of time to develop into one.  I think he'll be a good NHLer.

 

It's not just a coaches poll.  I'm also basing it on what was said at the draft last year that apparently he did a great job against McDavid in that playoff series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Like him, he's having a real good year and I think he'll really dominate the OHL next season.  100 points not out of the question.

Let's not conclude from a coaches' poll and one series that Zacha is good defensively.  There've been good penalty killers who are not good defensive players and vice versa (Rick Nash and Bobby Holik).  Zacha has the kind of speed where he'll make life hard on opposing point men.

I'm not concerned about Zacha.  I don't think he'll be a star, that's all.  Devils fans are expecting this guy to be a star forward and it doesn't look like he will be, though he certainly still has plenty of time to develop into one.  I think he'll be a good NHLer.

 

Wasn't it a big part of Holik's role here that he was constantly paired against the top players from the other team and assigned the task of shutting them down?  It's been a few years now, but I remember him and our "checking line" doing a very good job of holding the other teams' top lines off the scoresheet, especially in the playoffs during our cup run years (1995-2003).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Wasn't it a big part of Holik's role here that he was constantly paired against the top players from the other team and assigned the task of shutting them down?  It's been a few years now, but I remember him and our "checking line" doing a very good job of holding the other teams' top lines off the scoresheet, especially in the playoffs during our cup run years (1995-2003).  

Holik was almost certainly a phenomenal defensive player (and a highly underrated offensive one).  But he did not kill penalties in New Jersey.  So yeah, maybe I didn't make my point clearly, I was just saying that just because a guy doesn't play on the PK doesn't mean he's not a good defensive player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Holik was almost certainly a phenomenal defensive player (and a highly underrated offensive one).  But he did not kill penalties in New Jersey.  So yeah, maybe I didn't make my point clearly, I was just saying that just because a guy doesn't play on the PK doesn't mean he's not a good defensive player.

Gottcha.  I agree with you on that.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2016 at 2:03 PM, Triumph said:

Like him, he's having a real good year and I think he'll really dominate the OHL next season.  100 points not out of the question.

Let's not conclude from a coaches' poll and one series that Zacha is good defensively.  There've been good penalty killers who are not good defensive players and vice versa (Rick Nash and Bobby Holik).  Zacha has the kind of speed where he'll make life hard on opposing point men.

I'm not concerned about Zacha.  I don't think he'll be a star, that's all.  Devils fans are expecting this guy to be a star forward and it doesn't look like he will be, though he certainly still has plenty of time to develop into one.  I think he'll be a good NHLer.

 

It's fine and acceptable for Zacha to be a good NHLer/Not a star so long as the 5 guys drafted after him don't turn into stars either. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thursday 3/24
OHL Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
#2 Barrie vs. #7 Mississauga - Postponed due to arena power outage.

Western Conference
#5 Windsor lost to #4 Kitchener 6-5 (OT) (Trail Series 1-0)
Connor Chatham RW: +2, 2 Shots

WHL Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
#E1 Brandon lost to #W2 Edmonton 4-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
John Quenneville C: Assist, -1
Brandon Baddock C: Goal, +1, 4 PIM (Cross Checking, Interference)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

83 shots the last 16 games... Blake Speers has 83 shots in the last 16 games. That's 5.1 shots per game. In those games he has 11 goals 14 assists for 25 points. He will also make Team Canada next year.

Holy sh!t.  Isn't that elite status?  I know nothing is a guarantee, but this is what I mean when I say that the stock of forwards we have isn't as bad we think.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friday 3/25
OHL Quarterfinals
Western Conference
#2 Sarnia lost to #7 Sault Ste. Marie 6-3 (Trail Series 1-0)
Pavel Zacha C: 2 Assists (PP), -1, 4 PIM (Holding x2), 4 Shots
Josh Jacobs D: Assist (PP), -1, 4 Shots
Blake Speers C: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), +1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 4 Shots, 2nd Star
Colton White D: E

WHL Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
#E1 Brandon lost to #W2 Edmonton 2-1 (Trail Series 2-0)
John Quenneville C: Goal (SH), E
Brandon Baddock C: Goal (PP), E

Western Conference
#B3 Kamloops lost to #B2 Kelowna 3-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
Ryan Rehill D: -1, 6 PIM (Tripping x2, Slashing)

NCAA Tournament
Northeast Region Semifinal
Harvard lost to Boston College 4-1
Alex Kerfoot C: -1, 1 Shot, 2/13 Faceoffs
Steve Santini D: +1
Miles Wood LW: Assist (PP), -1, 2 Shots
JD Dudek RW: E

-- Boston College will take on Minnesota Duluth after they upset Providence in 2OT. The game is Saturday night at 9 on ESPNU.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.