Patrick Kane

mrthemike

Thoughts? Looks like the Hawks might be looking to get rid of him. Should the Devils be interested? We have the cap space. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/five-teams-have-called-blackhawks-about-trading-for-patrick-kane--report-171920024.html

It's been discussed in the general offseason thread.  The Score, which isn't quite like Hockeybuzz rumor mongering, suggested that the Devils as one of three teams that would make sense as a destination, whatever that means.

Still, unless the Hawks are going to give him away, no one is trading for him if and until he's cleared of the charges.  And at that point, the Hawks would keep him anyway.  And even if that's not the case, based on what the Hawks would ask for, what the Devils have, and what the Devils are missing, it would basically be a zero sum return. 

Although I don't have the inclination to see if it would work capwise, the Islanders would make the most sense if it ever came to pass.  They have prospects like Barzal, Del Colle and Ho Sang, who they may not even have room for in the near future. 

We don't have the assets. It would set the rebuild back IMO. I thin k Buffalo is a good destination for him. It's where he's from and they have a lot of assets to get the deal done.

Yeah, Buffalo. He never gets in trouble when he's there. That'll get him on the straight and narrow lol.

We don't have the assets. It would set the rebuild back IMO. I thin k Buffalo is a good destination for him. It's where he's from and they have a lot of assets to get the deal done.

Again Chicago ain't trading him unless they think there is a good chance he'll get charged. If that's true they ain't getting alot for him as they'd be selling low

I would think there is a good possibility for them to trade him.  They were already not fully out of cap hell and judging off what happened to the Kings with Voynov, they are going to have to carry his cap hit without his services.  That was what made the Kings not make the playoffs last year; imagine what that would do with 10.5 million in dead cap.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.  Why trade for someone else's problem?

I would think there is a good possibility for them to trade him.  They were already not fully out of cap hell and judging off what happened to the Kings with Voynov, they are going to have to carry his cap hit without his services.  That was what made the Kings not make the playoffs last year; imagine what that would do with 10.5 million in dead cap.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.  Why trade for someone else's problem?

You gamble that his problems will blow over and your left with a hell of a player at 26 years old

today discipline problem from chicago for future discipline problem with 1st round pick from islanders

You have no evidence that Ho-Sang will be a behavioral problem.  You're guessing/speculating.  You're also forgetting how much players can change and how they are perceived at age 18.  fvcking Jon Merril was said by SCOUTS even that he had behavioral issues, when in reality, he was probably busted for smoking pot, underage drinking or something minor with Michigan.  fvcking 18 y/o Jack Eichel chugged a beer after saying, "I'm coming for you Buffalo." and no one batted an eye at that.  I agree that Kane has had some issues and probably not the nicest person, but he is probably dealing with some alcoholism or something.  Every situation that he's been in trouble with the media, it seems that alcohol has played a role (punching a cabbie, rape speculation).  

I personally LOVE how the Voynov situation was dealt with by the NHL.  If charges are filed, I expect the same thing to happen with Kane and the Blackhawks.  It could really handicap the Blackhawks.  

It speaks volumes to the kind of league that the NHL is when you compare the Voynov situation along with the NFL's Ray Rice situation.  In comparison, the NHL had a much rightful and just treatment of the situation, while the NFL dreadfully whiffed.  They whiffed so hard.

Edited by RizzMB30

You gamble that his problems will blow over and your left with a hell of a player at 26 years old

You have no evidence that Ho-Sang will be a behavioral problem.  You're guessing/speculating.  You're also forgetting how much players can change and how they are perceived at age 18.  fvcking Jon Merril was said by SCOUTS even that he had behavioral issues, when in reality, he was probably busted for smoking pot, underage drinking or something minor with Michigan.  fvcking 18 y/o Jack Eichel chugged a beer after saying, "I'm coming for you Buffalo." and no one batted an eye at that.  I agree that Kane has had some issues and probably not the nicest person, but he is probably dealing with some alcoholism or something.  Every situation that he's been in trouble with the media, it seems that alcohol has played a role (punching a cabbie, rape speculation).  

I personally LOVE how the Voynov situation was dealt with by the NHL.  If charges are filed, I expect the same thing to happen with Kane and the Blackhawks.  It could really handicap the Blackhawks.  

It speaks volumes to the kind of league that the NHL is when you compare the Voynov situation along with the NFL's Ray Rice situation.  In comparison, the NHL had a much rightful and just treatment of the situation, while the NFL dreadfully whiffed.  They whiffed so hard.

And it could be worse than the Voynov situation.  I agree that the NHL handled his very well because isn't he also suspended as well this year?  Obviously, the NHL had the benefit of going 2nd while the NFL went in blind of what public outrage would be.  But it could be worse for Kane because this is the second offense and a much more egregious one.

It's one thing to try to project if an 18 year old is a knucklehead that will grow out of it or if they are going to turn into a 26 year old that is accused of sexual assault.  That is just speculation for scouts and the front office to do the best they can to evaluate the prospect.  But trading for an player that has everything up in the air in the hopes that the gamble pays off just feels sleezy to me, which is why I said I wouldn't want the Devils to do it.

Sorry, but i was only joking. Nothing more

Yeah but don't you think that is partly because of the backlash of the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case?   See how the NHL handled the Varlomov situation pre-Rice.   Your point that the NFL is the worst is correct but the NHL's handling of the Voynov situation had more to do with league image than their rightful concern for battered women.        

Yeah but don't you think that is partly because of the backlash of the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case? See how the NHL handled the Varlomov situation pre-Rice. Your point that the NFL is the worst is correct but the NHL's handling of the Voynov situation had more to do with league image than their rightful concern for battered women.

You're correct, it was likely done for league image more than anything else. But the major difference was that Voynov was suspended by the Kings first, and then sanctioned by the NHL if my understanding is correct. Charges against Varlamov were dropped, Voynov is served time. I don't think you can attribute those outcomes simply to "league image". The Kings have been doing shady things when considering Voynov and richards

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone who has already stated we don't have what it would take to get him, even if they are fed up with him.. He's a streaky player, like a lot of players are, but when he's hot he's the most dangerous player in the league. We simply don't have the talent to get him, and if we did put a package together there's be no one left for him to play with. Chicago just needs a stronger, shorter leash on him.

Chicago is fed up with him and we could probably get him without giving up much.

I doubt that. There would be at least 28 other teams that could offer more without giving up much.

Chicago is fed up with him and we could probably get him without giving up much.

I doubt that. There are 28 other teams that could offer more than us without having to give up much.