NJDevs '14-15 Fantasy Hockey, season begins!

redruM

Think you guys put the kibosh on me (and like I feared goaltending ranks going down offset the gains I have made offensively) :P  I've sort of plateaued in most categories and he's not going down in many of them, but I'll do my best this weekend to hopefully make up the points I need.

Edited by NJDevs4978

so I'm starting to think its better to max out early then leave games on the table, I will have at least 5 extra games at every position, now clearly that would not move me anywhere in the standing, this year, but you never know...

Boy is this going to be a nail biter. Can't wait to see what happens this weekend!

4 hours ago, redruM said:

so I'm starting to think its better to max out early then leave games on the table, I will have at least 5 extra games at every position, now clearly that would not move me anywhere in the standing, this year, but you never know...

I think I finally understand how maxing out works, and I wish I had paid attention to it earlier. I could have ended up starting only my star players some games and not having some nights with guys who don't put up any points. I also got paranoid toward the end about running out of goalie starts so I'll actually only have 81!

Good luck to all.

5 hours ago, redruM said:

It's definitely harder to make up games later on, especially when you have guys laid out with injuries and suspensions and you can't put the injured guys on IR late in the season.  It's also harder to cut guys if there are keeper considerations.  I usually try to be plus a few in every position by the stretch run but I was a bit lazy in that this year and I'm scrambling to hit my marks now.

And as it turned out it's a good thing I ran through my goalie games earlier since Allen got hurt AGAIN and Dubnyk's probably not playing tomorrow.  Lot of good it did me playing Dubnyk the last two weeks though, he picked a bad time to get cold again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

Boy is this going to be a nail biter. Can't wait to see what happens this weekend!

I think I finally understand how maxing out works, and I wish I had paid attention to it earlier. I could have ended up starting only my star players some games and not having some nights with guys who don't put up any points. I also got paranoid toward the end about running out of goalie starts so I'll actually only have 81!

Good luck to all.

By chance I was looking at the standings from last year and noticed...you were in last place?!  And you competed too, 35 moves so it's not like you were a dead team then.  Going from last to (a couple days away from) first in one season would be a tremendous accomplishment to be honest.

Of course there's something to be said for being consistently competitive - but I'm two days away from turning into the freaking Buffalo Bills ('90's version) :lol:

2013 - 1st Sworn Defenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2014 - 1st Sworn Defenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2015 - 1st Zamboni Warriors 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2016 (currently) - 1st NJDefenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

By chance I was looking at the standings from last year and noticed...you were in last place?!  And you competed too, 35 moves so it's not like you were a dead team then.  Going from last to (a couple days away from) first in one season would be a tremendous accomplishment to be honest.

Of course there's something to be said for being consistently competitive - but I'm two days away from turning into the freaking Buffalo Bills ('90's version) :lol:

2013 - 1st Sworn Defenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2014 - 1st Sworn Defenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2015 - 1st Zamboni Warriors 2nd New Jersey Swamps

2016 (currently) - 1st NJDefenders 2nd New Jersey Swamps

Yup, last place, that was me! My roster is stacked much better this year. Let's also keep in mind last year I also had the 1st overall pick but i chose Perry over Ovi unlike this year. Kind of amazing how big of a turnaround I made, though haha. I'm definitely paying more attention to the fantasy league this year.

Well the good news for me is the 3 point deficit is really only 1 point cause I'm a single hit behind NJDefenders, with eight players playing today (and none for him obviously) I'll pass him in that category, losing him a point and gaining me one.

The tricky part is gaining that last point in the two games remaining.  It'll almost certainly take a SHP for me to tie NJDefenders, and him losing a half point in GWG to either of two teams to make up another half a point.  I'm five goals scored behind red and two GWG's behind a dead team, doubt I'll make either of those up.  All of the other categories our spots are pretty set.

In the unlikely event of a flat tie, my general policy is both teams share the win and get to pick their draft spot next year...the order of who gets to pick their spot first among the two of us gets decided by who finishes ahead of the other team in more categories.  There's never been a tie before, but there was a .5 difference in 2006. 

BTW moves are locked now till the league starts up again.  No moves today would affect lineups anyway, and I'd rather replace a few dead teams (Squirtle Squad, Eat Another Donut, Dan's Guys) and have the keeper part of the league set up first before people OCD on more under the table stuff that I have to keep track of :P  I can only boot teams when the league starts up again too though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

New people will just inherit the rosters and pick/trade for their own keepers.  I think I'll manually just dump everyone's non-eligible keeper players myself to make it easier for everyone else, thanks to trying to fill game quotas I've already done mine at least :P (sans Malkin on IR)

If we have to contract that's another story but I'm sure we can find three new players to at least fill it out next August/early September.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just want to throw out there that I have a guy that would love to join in - played in his own independent league this year, guaranteed to be active.  If possible I'd like to bump him to the top of the replacement list :lol:

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just want to throw out there that I have a guy that would love to join in - played in his own independent league this year, guaranteed to be active.  If possible I'd like to bump him to the top of the replacement list :lol:

I take it he's not a poster?  I'd rather find board posters first if possible (but I'll certainly file this away in case)...red's kid was basically grandfathered in and although he's certainly competitive and trolled us all last year by winning by the same token it's not ideal to always have to deal with him secondhand and have a go-between have to tell him everything.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

I take it he's not a poster?  I'd rather find board posters first if possible (but I'll certainly file this away in case)...red's kid was basically grandfathered in and it's tough to always have to deal with him secondhand and have a go-between have to tell him everything.

No you're correct he's not currently, but I could definitely tell him to sign-up and check the thread for updates going forward.  Wouldn't be a problem if there's a spot for him when the time comes.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

No you're correct he's not currently, but I could definitely tell him to sign-up and check the thread for updates going forward.  Wouldn't be a problem if there's a spot for him when the time comes.

Fair enough...okay he can have one of the three available then.

Okay all non-keeper eligible players have been dropped from rosters since all moves only take effect after today's games anyway.  There'll be no more pickups before next season's draft, when trading is open again late summer you'll be able to trade draft picks and the players still on your rosters, although obviously you'll have to select three to keep before the draft.  Sorry for the delay in further moves, hopefully it'll be avoided in future offseasons when I can set this up correctly.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well the good news for me is the 3 point deficit is really only 1 point cause I'm a single hit behind NJDefenders, with eight players playing today (and none for him obviously) I'll pass him in that category, losing him a point and gaining me one.

The tricky part is gaining that last point in the two games remaining.  It'll almost certainly take a SHP for me to tie NJDefenders, and him losing a half point in GWG to either of two teams to make up another half a point.  I'm five goals scored behind red and two GWG's behind a dead team, doubt I'll make either of those up.  All of the other categories our spots are pretty set.

In the unlikely event of a flat tie, my general policy is both teams share the win and get to pick their draft spot next year...the order of who gets to pick their spot first among the two of us gets decided by who finishes ahead of the other team in more categories.  There's never been a tie before, but there was a .5 difference in 2006. 

BTW moves are locked now till the league starts up again.  No moves today would affect lineups anyway, and I'd rather replace a few dead teams (Squirtle Squad, Eat Another Donut, Dan's Guys) and have the keeper part of the league set up first before people OCD on more under the table stuff that I have to keep track of :P  I can only boot teams when the league starts up again too though.

Wow! This is going to be really close. Looks like you will need a lot of help on goals and from me losing points if some other teams grab some GWGs.

Can't wait to see what happens!

I also have someone who would like to join, although they aren't posters currently I can convince him to join the forums for the purpose of being in the league.

Edited by NJDEVS1730

Well congratulations NJDEVS1730/NJDefenders...most of the way I figured your lead was too big and you'd win this thing though there were a couple moments I believed I could finish off the comeback.  I'm glad I made it a race on the one hand but on the other losing by one point (and getting yet another second place) is freaking excruciating :P  But you earned it clearly, you put together a very talented roster and finished the unprecedented worst to first climb, enjoy them bragging rights!  And start thinking about your draft position selection next year :lol:

7 hours ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

I also have someone who would like to join, although they aren't posters currently I can convince him to join the forums for the purpose of being in the league.

He can be on the list too.  No sense changing ownership now since he can't really do anything with the team at this point anyway.  Might as well do both changeovers in August assuming you and 118's friend are still interested then.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well congratulations NJDEVS1730/NJDefenders...most of the way I figured your lead was too big and you'd win this thing though there were a couple moments I believed I could finish off the comeback.  I'm glad I made it a race on the one hand but on the other losing by one point (and getting yet another second place) is freaking excruciating :P  But you earned it clearly, you put together a very talented roster and finished the unprecedented worst to first climb, enjoy them bragging rights!  And start thinking about your draft position selection next year :lol:

He can be on the list too.  No sense changing ownership now since he can't really do anything with the team at this point anyway.  Might as well do both changeovers in August assuming you and 118's friend are still interested then.

Thanks, appreciate it! It was pretty cool to go from last to first in one year, but I didn't really retain any of my old team so I'll attribute the win to a fresh start and actually utilizing the #1 pick correctly by taking Ovechkin. Any good graphic designers want to whip up a nice signature for me? :D

I get to select when I draft next year? Can I pick #1 again? lol

congrats DEFENDERS,

crazy year, after my plummet the last month of last year I really blew it this year!!

the goalie thing has killed me 2 years in a row!

So now that the seasons over are we allowed to start trading??

Edited by redruM

9 hours ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

Thanks, appreciate it! It was pretty cool to go from last to first in one year, but I didn't really retain any of my old team so I'll attribute the win to a fresh start and actually utilizing the #1 pick correctly by taking Ovechkin. Any good graphic designers want to whip up a nice signature for me? :D

I get to select when I draft next year? Can I pick #1 again? lol

You can definitely pick #1 again, it's tradition that the winner picks their draft spot.  Not everyone opts for #1 cause of the fact Yahoo is a snake draft but it clearly worked for you this year.

red the same Yahoo restrictions are still in place till August when they open the league again and I can change the settings. No moves till then, sorry.

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you... tha...   wait what... Sworn Defenders came in T-4th?

Congrats NJDefenders...     A truly remarkable turnaround from last year and a well fought championship.   You know your the champ when immediately after your win, other teams start to model themselves after you... and you're seeing that already with max games.   

I thought for sure Hasan would catch you this week; but what do I know, I only have a fourth place medal.

And Swamps;  

2002- 1st of 20
2003- 1st of 20
2005- 5th of 20 
2006- 4th of 20    (12th for me; my first year)
2007- 3rd of 20  (T6)
2008- 2nd of 20 (16)
2009- 1st of 20 (16)
2010- 1st of 20 (2)
2011- 13th of 17 (1)
2012- 2nd of 19 (1)
2013- 2nd of 20 (1)
2014- 2nd of 14 (10)
2015- 2nd of 14 (T4)
----------------------
That's 4 titles (30.7%), 5 seconds (38.5%) , 1 third (7.7% each for the rest), 1 fourth, 1 fifth and one sh!tty season where you came in 13th; over these 13 seasons.  Simply wow. 

My 3 titles, 1 second a 4th and six, paired four sh!t seasons out of ten seasons seems more like luck compared to you.

And for the record...   this came down to something as small as a single goalie win.    You each had 40 wins, and were splitting points 11 and 12 between each other.   It would have been tied if Swamps pulled out an extra win (+.5 to him  -.5 to NJDefenders - tied at 152) ... and then I'm not sure what happens...