Ryane Clowe to Never Play Again

Derlique

A sad ending to what was a solid career in San Jose. I'm glad he's making the right decision for his health (or that it was made for him). Obviously we all know it was a terrible signing, but I'm hoping/guessing he'll pen a Players Tribune article about it which will make everyone back up a bit, like Sal's did.

Edit: Reading TG's twitter feed, he's going on LTIR for the next three years until he retires. I wonder if at any point Shero will trade him to a cap floor team for an asset, even if it's a mid-late round pick?

Edited by RSC

A sad ending to what was a solid career in San Jose. I'm glad he's making the right decision for his health (or that it was made for him). Obviously we all know it was a terrible signing, but I'm hoping/guessing he'll pen a Players Tribune article about it which will make everyone back up a bit, like Sal's did.

Edit: Reading TG's twitter feed, he's going on LTIR for the next three years until he retires. I wonder if at any point Shero will trade him to a cap floor team for an asset, even if it's a mid-late round pick?

I don't think we'll have to worry about the cap for the next few years so id say that's unlikely

Although a number of Lou's moves didn't work out in recent years, I could understand and defend a lot of them. But definitely not this one. This felt awful right from the get-go.

But good for him that he's not playing anymore. No reason to risk his life just to play a game.

I don't think we'll have to worry about the cap for the next few years so id say that's unlikely

I didn't mean anything about the Devils cap, just wondering if at some point Shero will trade Clowe's contract to a team like Arizona who is trying to reach the cap floor. Basically what the Flyers did with Pronger's contract

I didn't mean anything about the Devils cap, just wondering if at some point Shero will trade Clowe's contract to a team like Arizona who is trying to reach the cap floor. Basically what the Flyers did with Pronger's contract

Would be nice to see a return from him. I was definitely a fan of his but those concussions just killed his career. Any kind of hit, out for the year. No way he could continue.

Nice guy, but I never got the sense he was especially loyal here.

I mean, from the get-go.. after he signed, he was interviewed on the NHL Network where he was asked "Why did you pick NJ?" and he essentially replied "Well, I loved NY and the NYR, but.. the Devils offered more money and years".

Big miss on this one Lou.

Nice guy, but I never got the sense he was especially loyal here.

I mean, from the get-go.. after he signed, he was interviewed on the NHL Network where he was asked "Why did you pick NJ?" and he essentially replied "Well, I loved NY and the NYR, but.. the Devils offered more money and years".

Big miss on this one Lou.

At least he was honest about it...you don't tend to get that with a lot of players.  I remember when the Mets were flat-out stuck having to grossly overpay starting pitcher Kevin Appier before the 2001 season (the Mets lost Mike Hampton and got outbid for Mike Mussina)...though Appier was clearly the Mets' Plan C that offseason, he got 4 years and $42 million.  Appier said the right things (New York being a great stage, being excited about being a Met, blah blah blah), but I remember his agent basically saying that he never dreamed his client would get an offer like that and that they'd be crazy to turn it down.  Money and years is often the sole motivating factor for both players, and sometimes, the people who represent them (and sell their clients on going to places that they sometimes shouldn't). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think that the Devils are going to be the team that needs a contract like this to get to the cap floor more than any other team.  Elias, Zubrus and Ruutu's contacts are all coming off the books next year and we are already at the bottom in spending.

It's sad to hear.  He did conduct himself like a professional.  I didn't really like the signing at the beginning but there were plenty of people that said this was replacing Clarkson with a better player for less money and years, but just had to worry about the concussions.  It's hard to be a power forward when you have to worry about stuff like that.

I am not going to argue that it wasn't a bad deal, but let's remember that that is within days of when Kovalchuk "retired", and I suspect that had a little to do with it. There was a little panic, especially where your other "30 goal scorer", David Clarkson, was leaving too. 

Still a dumb deal, but $4.85m per for 5 years on a team that doesn't have a cap issue, not really that bad. You took a shot, it missed.

At least they didn't pay Clarkson $5.25 per for 7 years, that's the guy they were "replacing". 

His contract would never had been a calamity, even if he were playing and even if he really stunk. It never would have prevented the Devils from doing something else they otherwise might have, and there was never a younger player that was obviously better whose roster spot he was taking. I wonder if he ever writes an autobiography if Lou says this was more or less his thinking.

Otherwise, I wish the man the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His contract would never had been a calamity, even if he were playing and even if he really stunk. It never would have prevented the Devils from doing something else they otherwise might have, and there was never a younger player that was obviously better whose roster spot he was taking. I wonder if he ever writes an autobiography if Lou says this was more or less his thinking.

Otherwise, I wish the man the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. I may still agree it was Lou's worst signing ever, although I think if Kovalchuk stuck around, that one might look worse given his sharp decline.

Also, Lou didn't gave a whole lot of bad signings, it's like being the worst player elected to the Hall of Fame. You may not be as good as everyone else, but you still ain't that bad.

I really can't say I've watched Clowe other than when he was signed by us but I have to say when he did play he went full force against everyone!! I have to imagine that takes a toll on the body which obviously happened. I hope his health continues in a positive direction.

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

its the smart move for his life, family and general well being. What a mistake of a signing this was though, and all of the ranger fans told us it was foolish. He had some good grit and moments on the ice but over all he was a bit of a doofy kind of skater and not very quick. Is what it is, hopefully he feels well and enjoys his time with his family now.

Who are you talking about? Not the guy that play his contract to the hilt? I wish him the best but he benefited as a result of Lou.

Clowe's one and only job is to play the sport of hockey. His agent's one and only job is to negotiate a contract. Don't let the fact that his agent did his job (very) well and took Lou for a ride affect your view on Ryane Clowe, the person.

Edited by DJ Eco