Devils open practice Saturday 9/19 10 AM

MadDog2020

God what a prick Shero is for opening the practices to the public. This team needs to be more like the iron curtain days!

They used to have open practices all the time when the team was practicing out of south mountain arena. It stopped completely when they moved to the rock and Amerihealth Pavilion, likely because JVB didn't want to spend money on extra security guards which are necessary to keep the fans out of the main arena. It's not like the no open practices policy was Lou's all along and part of his wall of secrecy.

They used to have open practices all the time when the team was practicing out of south mountain arena. It stopped completely when they moved to the rock and Amerihealth Pavilion, likely because JVB didn't want to spend money on extra security guards which are necessary to keep the fans out of the main arena. It's not like the no open practices policy was Lou's all along and part of his wall of secrecy.

I know, was just being a pain in the ass.

I never got a chance to go to South Mountain before they started closing them off and when I was old enough to drive, we were out of there.

I really do not buy that line.  I think that was a line they sold to the fans to justify it.  I think Lou wanted the practices to be private from the day he started but couldn't because South Mountain was the only place that was 1) near BBA 2) Near the players homes and 3) Had a regulation sized rink and amenities.  The fact that South Mountain was a place not controlled by the Devils, they didn't have much say.  I have a feeling the rink next to the main arena was a feature Lou wanted out of the new arena in Newark.

If this was about JVB and his money issues, then the practices would have been open these past 2 seasons.  This openness only started a couple months ago.

I really do not buy that line.  I think that was a line they sold to the fans to justify it.  I think Lou wanted the practices to be private from the day he started but couldn't because South Mountain was the only place that was 1) near BBA 2) Near the players homes and 3) Had a regulation sized rink and amenities.  The fact that South Mountain was a place not controlled by the Devils, they didn't have much say.  I have a feeling the rink next to the main arena was a feature Lou wanted out of the new arena in Newark.

If this was about JVB and his money issues, then the practices would have been open these past 2 seasons.  This openness only started a couple months ago.

Agree, Had to be Lou. As you say SM was a public place.Devils rented the rink and faculties to go with the rink.

Edited by BostonNala370

I really do not buy that line. I think that was a line they sold to the fans to justify it. I think Lou wanted the practices to be private from the day he started but couldn't because South Mountain was the only place that was 1) near BBA 2) Near the players homes and 3) Had a regulation sized rink and amenities. The fact that South Mountain was a place not controlled by the Devils, they didn't have much say. I have a feeling the rink next to the main arena was a feature Lou wanted out of the new arena in Newark.

If this was about JVB and his money issues, then the practices would have been open these past 2 seasons. This openness only started a couple months ago.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The Devils had closed practices at South Mountain whenever they felt like having one. Not all of their practices were open to the public. The team controlled whether the practice was open or closed, not the arena management. Plus, they could have used other rinks like Mennen if they wanted to.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The Devils had closed practices at South Mountain whenever they felt like having one. Not all of their practices were open to the public. The team controlled whether the practice was open or closed, not the arena management. Plus, they could have used other rinks like Mennen if they wanted to.

If Lou had his way, all practices at SMA would have been closed. However he couldn't do that and was given the choice to close some, but others he was forced to have them open. I remember an article a while back where Lou said as much that he didn't have that much control over there.

Mennan was an option, but it would have been the same situation as SMA. Plus it would be further away from the arena and where most of the player lived anyways.

it was interesting the harassment of the puck carrier.  Very high energy.  It would be nice to see this team play that way for 60 minutes.  The 3 on 3 OT was a lot different than prospects camp in July,  In July all 6 skaters hung around the slot area.  This one had quite a few breakaways.

Observations:  I know the Devils want to be a fast skating team, but aren't there some taller players with a bit of speed? Very Smirf like team.  Tlusty ripped a great shot in the 3rd practice session.  Over the goalies shoulder hit the crossbar into the net.  There was a new video called "Relentless" which seems to be this years theme.  They played a different goal song. Don't know if it was just for practice and they only played a 10 sec clip.  But they played it for each goal,  It was old time hockey with no ads on the boards.  The fire and ice lounges are completely being renovated.  In fact the construction crews were working during practice.

While I understand you were just hoping for it to be more fun...It's not supposed to be entertainment...just a nice gesture. Should be all business.

Oh it was def a nice gesture. I used to go to a practices back at SMA once in a blue moon back in the day. Maybe because I was younger and was impressed more easily, I remember those being more interesting.

If they do this again next year, I'm not sure if I will go again.

Oh it was def a nice gesture. I used to go to a practices back at SMA once in a blue moon back in the day. Maybe because I was younger and was impressed more easily, I remember those being more interesting.

If they do this again next year, I'm not sure if I will go again.

Thats why I didn't go. I think it's great for the younger fans but I'm older now myself so practice just doesn't cut it for me anymore.