Isles unveil hideous new 3rd jersey

'7'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obvious tie-in with the Brooklyn Nets jerseys...guess this is a Barclay thing.  It feels forced, like a weak attempt to tie the Isles, the Nets, and Barclay together.  Not really feeling this...this jersey is not really hideous, just really boring and overly minimalistic. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm curious how the whole Brooklyn experiment turns out for them. The sightlines in that arena are horrible (and the exterior is about as ugly as can be with all that gross rust) but when it comes to amenities it just kills the Coliseum. Will the Isles draw there?

I'm curious how the whole Brooklyn experiment turns out for them. The sightlines in that arena are horrible (and the exterior is about as ugly as can be with all that gross rust) but when it comes to amenities it just kills the Coliseum. Will the Isles draw there?

Just did a search on "Barclay Center Hockey", and yeah, some of the seats are going to have terrible views.  I saw a couple of games in the Coyotes' old building back during the '96-'97 season (a 4-3 Devils OT loss and a 3-1 Ranger win...bleech), and it was the same deal there...we were OK where we were sitting, but some of the seats were so bad that they were actually sold as "obstructed view seats".

Fans should show up...they have a pretty good team now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I've been to the two games they have had at Barclays so here is my take on the views:

1) The limited view is what it is.  Can imagine they will be heavily discounted so a way for people with limited means to make the game.

2) Sightlines for the rest of the arena is not as bad as a lot of people report.  Not ideal but not terrible.  Only place that has an issue is in the 200's along the sidelines and not the ends.  Those seats tend to slope in a way where if the guy in front of you is a leaner then you will not be able to see a whole lot.  Best is to stick to the lower bowl (100's and double-digits) or if you sit in the 200's do in the corners or end.

The amenities are very good and the food there is also excellent (though naturally expensive).  Another issue is the upper concourse which has some really narrow corridors near the ends of the arena.  These create choke points and remind me of the pre-renovation MSG concourses.

What a slap in the face to isles fans. Barclays center was supposed to be a last resort and this was still supposed to be long island's team. I should've known better, because obviously they have better marketability and visibility as a Brooklyn team. I know a lot of long islanders have the same animosity towards NYC as a lot of us in Jersey do. I wonder how many, if any, isles fans are upset enough about the move that they're going to stop following the team, and I wonder for how many this was the last straw. Of course a lot of fans who live out on long island aren't going to be able to get to games as much, and may eventually lose interest. Obviously the Nets move was a lot different than the isles move, but I never considered for a second following the Nets to Brooklyn. And I have a lot of really fond memories of that team.

If the Rock wasn't owned by the god damn Sixers, we'd be going after a basketball team. It'd be neat to have a hockey and basketball team in each major stadium in the area.

What during the tenure of the Nets shown you that a basketball team can do that well that the NBA needs to expand back into NJ?

Edited by roomtemp

What during the tenure of the Nets shown you that a basketball team can do that well that the NBA needs to expand back into NJ?

I'm kind of having a difficult time piecing together exactly what you're trying to say here, but the Nets didn't draw poorly for a time. After they spent half a decade tearing the team down to move them to Brooklyn, yea, attendance will drop. I stopped going. Conventional wisdom also tells us stadiums in the setting of the Meadowlands aren't nearly as conducive to success as inner city stadiums. There were grumblings a few years ago of the league looking into putting another team here, and Shaq was interested in ownership. What about the Kings tenure in Sacramento has shown you that the league needed to bend over backwards to save a team that usually drew worse than the Nets did, had no stadium plan whatsoever until what, a year ago?

New Jersey alone is one of the biggest markets in the country. If managed properly, which no professional New Jersey sports team have pretty much ever been, it would be a huge success. The league would be dumb to not consider a market of 6 million+ people.

A few years later they were right around middle of the pack.

The couple of years where they were 19th and barely considered the middle of the pack?

2001: 26th

2002: 26th (Finals year)

2003: 23rd (Finals year)

2004: 26th (Bruce Ratner buys team with intention on moving them to Brooklyn)

2005: 26th

2006: 19th

2007: 19th

2008: 21st

2009: 25th

2010: 30th (First year in Prudential Center)

2011: 28th

2012: 30th

2013: 16th (First year at Barclays)

2014: 17th

Seems like the move to Brooklyn was more of a blessing than a curse.