2015-16 Training Camp Thread

HellOnICE

We need a fresh thread for training camp. 

Of course Patrik is nursing an knee injury to start camp. Hopefully it doesn't linger. 

I'm liking the initial d-pairs today:

Greene-Larsson

Merril-Severson

Moore-Gelinas

We have a lot of borderline guys for that 8th spot/injury call ups from Mozik, Grabarenko (easier to spell that his anglo-name), Gragani, Helgeson and others. 

I like the pairs of forwards they are starting with today as well. 

Cammaleri-Zajac

Henrique-Palmeri

Gionta-Matteau

If Elias was around - I'd assume he'd be with Henrique and Palmeri. 

Tlusty skated with Camm and Travis today. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all is said and done I am thinking these will be the lines.

Tlusty Zajac Cammalleri

Boucher/Blandisi Henrique Palmieri

Elias Josefson Stempniak/Kalinin

Matteau Gionta Ruutu

Looks like they tried Tlusty at RW today, which bodes well for balancing the lines. Let's hope he does well, likes it there, and sticks.

After all is said and done I am thinking these will be the lines.

Tlusty Zajac Cammalleri

Boucher/Blandisi Henrique Palmieri

Elias Josefson Stempniak/Kalinin

Matteau Gionta Ruutu

I think as much as I wouldn't mind seeing Elias on the third line, he's not going to be a happy camper playing there. So there is going to be some politics - especially given the fact that coach and Shero seem to be relying heavily on Elias' leadership this year. Maybe Elias still deserves a 2nd line spot and maybe he doesn't. But I think he's going to have to really flail to get moved to the third line (or start the season nursing injuries while someone really steps up to push him out when he returns). 

It's such a different team than anything we've experienced, but I'm not sure how to feel about Hynes' activeness - sounds great now, but if he's that way over a season it could wear pretty thin.  Granted it's not just incoherent shouting like you'd get from a Sutter or Carlyle but still.

Edited by Triumph

@TGfireandice: 2h2 hours ago

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Head coaches are usually more supervisory in practices. They'll diagram drills/plays & talk, but assistants are more hands-on with players.

@TGfireandice: Maybe this will change as camp progresses, but Hynes is in the middle of eerything. Always talking, even demonstrating what he wants done.

I don't believe there's anything wrong w/ Patrik.  He doesn't need to "earn" a job anymore. He has "earned" this privilege. Like Neids in Duck land, he reports to camp, , but they create a "soreness' issue.  Oh, he'll be ready to go halfway through Exhibition season. 

I didn't see this posted yet but the first wave of players have been returned to their junior teams.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-return-seven-players-to-their-junior-teams-goulet-released-from-amateur-tryout-1.1416438

They returned seven players to their junior teams: goaltender Mackenzie Blackwood (Barrie, OHL); defensemen Josh Jacobs (Sarnia, OHL), Ryan Rehill (Kamloops, WHL) and Colton White (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL); and forwards Brandon Baddock (Edmonton, WHL), Connor Chatham (Flint, OHL), and Blake Speers (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL).

In addition, forward Alexandre Goulet was released from his amateur tryout.