2015-16 Training Camp Thread

HellOnICE

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh on Lou but I agree that Shero's moves this offseason are the right moves for the franchise so far. Good to hear Shero is listening to Mehta. I'm prepared for a long next couple of seasons but I have confidence we're moving in the right direction.

I'm prepared for a long next couple of seasons but I have confidence we're moving in the right direction.

My exact mentality.

Id be lying if I said I wasn't a little less excited for this season - knowing it'll likely be another losing one - but so long as progress is being made I'm content.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My exact mentality.

Id be lying if I said I wasn't a little less excited for this season - knowing it'll likely be another losing one - but so long as progress is being made I'm content.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm actually more excited for this season. I don't mind losing if there's some kind of direction. Edited by Devil Dan 56

I'm actually more excited for this season. I don't mind losing if there's some kind of direction.

A part of me definitely feels this way.  I'm just intrigued to see a not-Lou perspective...and what the New Order Devils become. 

Wonder why Baddock or Chatham, both 20, couldn't cut there teeth in Albany this year.

Baddock had 40 points last year in junior.  I don't think he'd be a regular in Albany this year.  I'm not sure he gets a contract from the Devils what with Lou and Conte gone.

Chatham is eligible for Albany but he's not yet 20 - I don't see much of a reason to rush him either, his season was not fantastic.

I didn't see the second batch of cuts posted yet so...

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/mobile/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-assign-seven-to-albany-to-trim-training-camp-roster-to-43-1.1417792

The Devils further trimmed their training camp roster this afternoon by assigning seven players to their AHL team in Albany.

Sent to Albany were goaltender Yann Danis, defensemen Dan Kelly and Jacob Sweeney and forwards Ben Thomson, Graham Black, Chris McKelvie and Rod Pelley. Sweeney remains on an amateur tryout.

I haven't been able to watch any preseason games. Out of Quenville, Blandisi, Boucher, and Zacha who is most likely to make the team this year?

Probably Quenneville. Zacha will probably make it for the 9 games and then go back to Sarnia. I think Blandisi and Boucher will start the year in Albany. Edited by MadDog2020

Probably Quenneville. Zacha will probably make it for the 9 games and then go back to Sarnia. Blandisi and Boucher will start in Albany.

Damn I was expecting Blandisi to be the one who makes it out of camp. Guess he hasn't been having the best preseason. I'm just worried that Quenneville is a little too young but if he's been playing good so far then I guess good for him. 

Frankly, I didn't find this piece all that illuminating, and, if anything, it would tend to show that analytics can have maybe a marginal impact.  The thesis of the article is that you can tell Shero knows what he's doing because he signed Tlusty, Schlemko and Stepniak.  I mean, maybe the guy would have a point if even one of them turns into a world beater, but it isn't really all that different from when Lou got decent production out of scrap heap players like Gomez and Sykora, or that he did really well in signing Jagr.

Lou's "mismanagement," at least with respect to the shape the team is in now, comes down to two things, 1. bad/unlucky drafting, which is not necessarily the GM's purview and entails a lot of luck and 2. not giving up the 29th pick in 2012 and compounding the problem by burning Matteau's ELC.  It was not completely irrational to keep the pick and Matteau being subject to waivers now isn't really going to impact when the team becomes competitive again. 

Basically, you show me a team that is supposedly doing a lot better than everyone else because of analytics, and I'll show you a team that did really well drafting, either by virtue of having a lot of high draft picks and/or finding diamonds in the later rounds, which I imagine Sunny Mehta doesn't have anything to do with. 

I didn't love that article - not a huge fan of Lambert's simplistic debate style.  But I agree with the general sentiment about the team under Shero even if I don't agree with it about Lou.

Frankly, I didn't find this piece all that illuminating, and, if anything, it would tend to show that analytics can have maybe a marginal impact.  The thesis of the article is that you can tell Shero knows what he's doing because he signed Tlusty, Schlemko and Stepniak.  I mean, maybe the guy would have a point if even one of them turns into a world beater, but it isn't really all that different from when Lou got decent production out of scrap heap players like Gomez and Sykora, or that he did really well in signing Jagr.

The difference between signing a Gomez or Sykora or signing Tlusty is that Gomez and Sykora seemed like they were done.  And indeed, Sykora never played in the league again after his season with NJ, and Gomez is on a tryout with St. Louis, so clearly these guys, even after having a bounceback season with NJ, were not highly regarded players, either by the Devils or anyone else.  Tlusty is a player who clearly has some skills and is not old - the Devils aren't counting on getting the last out of him, they're hopefully counting on getting a nice forward who can score 15-20 goals while not being a slouch in other areas.  That's more the point with this - these are players who have good track records who for some reason were not signed elsewhere.  Schlemko is a nice pickup as a 7th D as well.

Lou's "mismanagement," at least with respect to the shape the team is in now, comes down to two things, 1. bad/unlucky drafting, which is not necessarily the GM's purview and entails a lot of luck and 2. not giving up the 29th pick in 2012 and compounding the problem by burning Matteau's ELC.  It was not completely irrational to keep the pick and Matteau being subject to waivers now isn't really going to impact when the team becomes competitive again.

The team would still be in horrible shape even if they had given up that pick.  They're worse off for not having given it up, but they're still in the toilet.

Basically, you show me a team that is supposedly doing a lot better than everyone else because of analytics, and I'll show you a team that did really well drafting, either by virtue of having a lot of high draft picks and/or finding diamonds in the later rounds, which I imagine Sunny Mehta doesn't have anything to do with.

Analytics aren't going to win anyone a championship.  Teams were so horrible in baseball that they could've done so there, but that's never going to be the function of analytics in hockey.  The biggest thing analytics can do for you is save you from the colossal mistake.  If you listen to your stats guy, you will be saved from a lot of horrendous errors that a lot of teams make.  You won't avoid huge mistakes entirely - there's always risk involved - but being able to miss a lot of the big ones is huge.  The second thing they can do is give you bargains like the Devils just got - tiny edges.  Stat guys and scouts usually agree on who the best players are.  It's at the margins where stat guys can identify players dismissed by scouts.

Edited by Triumph

I didn't love that article - not a huge fan of Lambert's simplistic debate style. But I agree with the general sentiment about the team under Shero even if I don't agree with it about Lou.

The difference between signing a Gomez or Sykora or signing Tlusty is that Gomez and Sykora seemed like they were done. And indeed, Sykora never played in the league again after his season with NJ, and Gomez is on a tryout with St. Louis, so clearly these guys, even after having a bounceback season with NJ, were not highly regarded players, either by the Devils or anyone else. Tlusty is a player who clearly has some skills and is not old - the Devils aren't counting on getting the last out of him, they're hopefully counting on getting a nice forward who can score 15-20 goals while not being a slouch in other areas. That's more the point with this - these are players who have good track records who for some reason were not signed elsewhere. Schlemko is a nice pickup as a 7th D as well.

The team would still be in horrible shape even if they had given up that pick. They're worse off for not having given it up, but they're still in the toilet.

Analytics aren't going to win anyone a championship. Teams were so horrible in baseball that they could've done so there, but that's never going to be the function of analytics in hockey. The biggest thing analytics can do for you is save you from the colossal mistake. If you listen to your stats guy, you will be saved from a lot of horrendous errors that a lot of teams make. You won't avoid huge mistakes entirely - there's always risk involved - but being able to miss a lot of the big ones is huge. The second thing they can do is give you bargains like the Devils just got - tiny edges. Stat guys and scouts usually agree on who the best players are. It's at the margins where stat guys can identify players dismissed by scouts.

In all likelihood the team would not be in any better shape in the standings right now had they had what I recall would have been something like the 9th or 10th pick in 2014, but it the team would be in a lot better shape going forward, which is what I was getting at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

I think Kalinin won himself a spot. Great job on that play setting up Boucher. I think he has been very solid and can be a good piece for the bottom 6.

Are the highlights from the game posted anywhere? I don't see them on the Devils main website or TSN.

Edited by devils102

The team would still be in horrible shape even if they had given up that pick.  They're worse off for not having given it up, but they're still in the toilet.

I just don't understand this sentiment.  How are the Devils worse off because they didn't give up a pick?  They still got Quenneville AND Matteau because Lou refused to give up a pick.  

I don't agree with anyone who claims that they should have given up a pick.  Is this camp of thought saying that by giving up the 29th pick (Matteau) would have granted us a much higher 2014 pick, granted us a better player than John Q?  

Hindsight is always 20/20.