Rutuu - Kalinin - Tootoo

Matteau, Gionta/Kennedy

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Schlemko - Moore

Gelinas

Schneider

Kinkaid

Yes I have Schlemko over Gelinas. In 29 games with Calgary he was a 57% SC player while the team was low 40% without him on the ice. I'll trust computer stats over Gelinas to start the season.

3 centers at 6`3 or bigger is quite the luxury, especially when none of them are slow.

I really believe this will be a surprise bubble team.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand this sentiment.  How are the Devils worse off because they didn't give up a pick?  They still got Quenneville AND Matteau because Lou refused to give up a pick.  

I don't agree with anyone who claims that they should have given up a pick.  Is this camp of thought saying that by giving up the 29th pick (Matteau) would have granted us a much higher 2014 pick, granted us a better player than John Q?  

Hindsight is always 20/20.  

Neither Quennville nor Matteau look like impact players.  I was in favor of keeping the 29th pick and it's worked out okay when they got that 30th pick, but Matteau's done nothing of note since being drafted besides making the team in 2012-13, and besides looking better in preseason this year, Quenneville hasn't done anything that looks like he's an NHLer either.  The 2014 and 2012 drafts don't look very strong - early to say on 2014, but 2012 looks pretty darn weak besides Severson and a couple of other guys.

I just don't understand this sentiment. How are the Devils worse off because they didn't give up a pick? They still got Quenneville AND Matteau because Lou refused to give up a pick.

I don't agree with anyone who claims that they should have given up a pick. Is this camp of thought saying that by giving up the 29th pick (Matteau) would have granted us a much higher 2014 pick, granted us a better player than John Q?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Had the Devils given up the 2012 pick, it's not unreasonable to conclude that they would have drafted someone like Dylan Larkin in 2014, who is arguably a better looking prospect than Zacha. Or if you like, you can look at everyone that was drafted between 9 and 15 in 2014, and you couldn't trade Matteau and Quenneville for any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As i said many times over the offseason and into preseason, Josefson is going to have a breakout. His game matches Hynes system, he has excellent entry skills and will be used on the 2PP unit, I expect 35 points this season.

Yes.  This. I'm praying for it.  I insist that the tools are there for him.  Good skating, passing, responsible defensively, will play along the boards, can win faceoffs, but just needs to shoot more.  

Henrique - Josefson - Palmieri

Cammalleri - Zajac - Tlusty

Elias - Zacha - Stempniak

Rutuu - Kalinin - Tootoo

Matteau, Gionta/Kennedy

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Schlemko - Moore

Gelinas

Schneider

Kinkaid

Yes I have Schlemko over Gelinas. In 29 games with Calgary he was a 57% SC player while the team was low 40% without him on the ice. I'll trust computer stats over Gelinas to start the season.

3 centers at 6`3 or bigger is quite the luxury, especially when none of them are slow.

I really believe this will be a surprise bubble team.

Wow/.  Interesting lineup.  I love having the 3 big centers.  Being big, strong down the middle is an excellent way to try and build a roster.  I don't know if I like having Kennedy along for the ride yet, but I'd definitely sign one of Stempniak and Kennedy.  The issue is if Elias is going to start the season.  I don't know if I like Matteau/Kennedy-Zacha-Stempniak.  I have to ask tho, why no Blandisi(Hynes appears to be high on him with how much we're seeing him), Boucher (had a good game last night) or Quenneville?  Would make things much more interesting to see them make the roster.  Even if it's only for ten games.

Had the Devils given up the 2012 pick, it's not unreasonable to conclude that they would have drafted someone like Dylan Larkin in 2014, who is arguably a better looking prospect than Zacha. Or if you like, you can look at everyone that was drafted between 9 and 15 in 2014, and you couldn't trade Matteau and Quenneville for any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still don't really blame Lou.  Tend to agree with Tri that it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  Quenneville can still turn out possibly.

Edited by RizzMB30

Of the fringe players, that leaves Kalinin, Boucher, Zacha, Matteau up.  The Devils have 9 forwards plus Elias besides that so maybe they're close to the final roster?  Oh right - I forgot the two tryouts.  Stempniak and Kennedy are still here, so that's 15 forwards plus Elias.

Also they left Gragnani and Helgeson up, so they still have 9 defensemen including Schlemko.

Edited by Triumph

Per TG:

To AHL: Blandisi, Coleman, Kujawinski, Leblond, Lorito, O'Brien, Pietila, Sislo, Thompson, Burlon, Hrabarenka, Scarlett, Wedgewood, Appleby, Mozik

Devils return John Quenneville to junior (Brandon, WHL)

Ya know after his last two games I thought Blandisi had a shot to stick. He should be one of the first call-ups.

Ya know after his last two games I thought Blandisi had a shot to stick. He should be one of the first call-ups.

Could still be an early call-up like Henrique in 2012. They chose Josefson over him out of camp and then brought him up after an injury I believe.

I guess the only decision now is whether they will sign Stempniak or Kennedy, and who goes down as a result. Gragnani would be a big surprise if he made it. I guess he would replace Gelinas? Helgeson is probably going down once Schlemko is better. Defence is pretty much set.

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Moore - Gelinas/Gragnani

Schlemko/Helgeson

Up front I believe Matteau would have to clear waiver which pretty much guarantees his spot. Not sure about the Kalinin or Boucher.

Tlusty - Zajac - Cammaleri

Palmieri - Henrique - Elias

Kalinin/Boucher-Josefson - Matteau

Ruutu - Gionta - Tootoo

Stempniak - Zacha - Kennedy

Edited by devils102

The remaining cuts really depend on whether or not Elias is IR for the start of the season, only 2 cuts to make on defense (which will be Gragnani and Helgeson), and only one to make if Elias is on IR, which I imagine would be one of Stempniak or Kennedy. If Elias is on IR, I imagine the roster looks something like this:

Boucher - Zacha - Kennedy/Stempniak

Matteau - Kalinin - Ruutu

Tootoo, Gionta

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Moore - Gelinas

Schlemko

Schneider

Kinkaid

The remaining cuts really depend on whether or not Elias is IR for the start of the season, only 2 cuts to make on defense (which will be Gragnani and Helgeson), and only one to make if Elias is on IR, which I imagine would be one of Stempniak or Kennedy. If Elias is on IR, I imagine the roster looks something like this:

Boucher - Zacha - Kennedy/Stempniak

Matteau - Kalinin - Ruutu

Tootoo, Gionta

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Moore - Gelinas

Schlemko

Schneider

Kinkaid

Sadly, Kalinin goes the Albany because he doesn't have to clear waivers.  Not sure who else. 3 more to go

Jerzey Devil posted TG's latest over in the prospects thread here - 

He rightly points out that it sure sounds like the Devils are ready to send Zacha back to junior unless he really impresses in the next week.  Of the top ten picks, Mitch Marner has already been sent back to junior, and so have Timo Meier and Ivan Provorov.

For those who have watched the majority of the pre-season games, how would you letter-grade each Devil of interest?  Ie, A+, B-, C, D, F, etc.  I haven't gotten to watch enough of it.  Specifically, how do people grade the following this pre-season:

Tlusty

Josefson

Palmieri

Boucher

Zacha

Stempniak

Matteau

Kalinin

Larsson

Merrill

Severson

Moore

Gelinas

Schlemko

Gragnani was waived. I haven't seen any preseason games so I have no idea how he looked but some people seemed to like him.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-place-defenseman-marc-andre-gragnani-on-waivers-no-word-on-pavel-zacha-yet-1.1424818

If Gragnani, 28, clears waivers and is assigned to Albany, that would leave the Devils with 25 players on their camp roster. Teams have to be down to 23 players by 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Edited by Jerzey Devil