2015-16 Training Camp Thread

HellOnICE

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last cut is going to depend on whether or not they wanna carry 8 defense and whether or not they're comfortable putting Helgeson on Waivers, they currently have 14 forwards and 8 defensemen on the roster so logic would dictate that Helgeson gets sent down, but if they don't want to waive him then they might just carry 8 defensemen.

i would expect helgeson to be the last cut assuming zacha doesn't sh!t the bed during practice.

opening night:

cammalleri-zajac-tlusty

henrique-josefson-palmieri

boucher-zacha-stempniak

rutuu-gionta-tootoo

kalinen/matteau

greene-larsson

merrill-severson

gelinas-moore

schlemko

schneider

kinkaid

*elias - IR

not taking into account injuries that will assuredly happen, when elias is ready to come back, zacha gets sent back. i would also expect kalinen to take gionta's spot pretty quickly. it also wouldn't surprise me if schlemko gets time before game 4 and gelinas gets scratched.

Edited by sundstrom

I don't see Kalinin not making the opening night roster, even if it means he takes Gionta's spot. We're so used to Gionta being in the lineup but I doubt Hynes has any of the Lou/DeBoer-style loyalty there. On the other hand, Kalinin was, I think, one of Shero's first moves and the preseason has proven it to be a pretty good move.

I think he starts and sticks on the 3rd line, he certainly deserves it. He'll only get better and better as he works through the language barrier, adjusts to North American ice, and adjusts to his role. On the rush and 1-on-1, he reminds me of Chris Kreider.

Edited by DJ Eco

Just looking at the roster right now, this is what I expect the opening night lines to look like:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Tlusty

Henrique - Josefson - Palmieri

Boucher - Kalinin - Stempniak

Matteau - Gionta - Ruutu

O'Neill, Tootoo

Greene - Larsson

Merrill - Severson

Gelinas - Moore

Schlemko

Schneider

Kinkaid

For the first time in years, I don't think Gionta makes the opening night lineup. He doesn't have size, he doesn't have that much skill, he's 31 years old, he didn't have a particularly good preseason, he doesn't have Lou or DeBoer getting his back either. Meanwhile, Shero makes a trade for an AHL center that we have to assume he and Hynes have had their eye on (it's too perfectly-timed and executed to just have been a random pickup), and who we know probably won't be sent down to Albany. So I'm going with Ruutu-O'Neill-Tootoo as our 4th line.

Edited by DJ Eco

For the first time in years, I don't think Gionta makes the opening night lineup. He doesn't have size, he doesn't have that much skill, he's 31 years old, he didn't have a particularly good preseason, he doesn't have Lou or DeBoer getting his back either. Meanwhile, Shero makes a trade for an AHL center that we have to assume he and Hynes have had their eye on (it's too perfectly-timed and executed to just have been a random pickup), and who we know probably won't be sent down to Albany. So I'm going with Ruutu-O'Neill-Tootoo as our 4th line.

Before the opening game, O'Neil would only had one training with his new team... I'm pretty sure it's not enough. Especially after all the effort that other guys put in training camp.. That would send a bad signal. 

So opening roster will most probably got Gionta. Or at least, not O'Neil on it.

That being said... Down the road... i would say the same and Gionta will have to be extra good at what he does to earn something. But Coach tend to love this type of guy....