Gdt Rangers at NJ @7pm

DevilMinder

at game, haven't seen tv broadcast yet, inisital thoughts

Severson looked hurt, or just off near the end of the 3rd.  Seemed to be holding arm or something after a shift in ot.  

Trouble getting out of zone with puck behind net a few times.  Think the NHL guys were out there so can't blame the rookies.  Not sure if it was the Rags pressure, or more miscommunication, but it just didn't look good.  

Lots of wide open hockey in the third.  No clue if this is our new style or just a bad period, we shall see

Tieing a game in ot just hurts my head. 

just go to a 3-2-1-0 pt system so all of this ot crap doesn't matter as much as it currently does  Fine,league want a shootout, at least do it right

guess that 4 on 3 pp work will be big this year.  Why not just make every penalty a penalty shot in ot? sounds like a crappy idea the league would love.

Joe

Edit to add food review.  

They now have buffalo chicken and Taylor ham Strombolis.  No ranch or blue cheese, just marinara sauce.  I got the taylor ham, was cubed, not sliced.  I think slicing like they do witht he pepperoni would be better.  With mozz which didn't quite blend well for me.  I had one that was out for a bit while a friend had one that was fresh which he liked so that may be the issue.  I also think I will try it with ketchup next time if there is a fresh one.  I will give a buffalo chicken review once I try it withen a game or 2.  

Designated driver free soda is back.  Which will let me actually get more food.  No free soda last year cut down on my overall food buying

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

I just love Palmieri. He is doing great with henrique and Josefson. I have to say, i always love Josefson, but he is really better since he is playong top 6 min. Hope that line will stick together.

Zacha will be our next forward superstar. Really love what i saw.

I dont know how the Devils could cut Blandisi so far. He is playing really well.

Quenneville has a good camp to ( sadly didnt play last night)

Biggest thing I liked about last night's team was the speed - perhaps it was just preseason, but they looked fast.  They were forcing the Rangers into some errors and then capitalizing on those errors to a degree.  Rangers basically got 2 lucky goals.

Severson is just incredible but I think we'll be saying that lots as the season moves along.

Josefson didn't look out of place beside Henrique and Palmieri.  As crazy as it sounds that line might begin the season if Elias can't make it back.

Biggest thing I liked about last night's team was the speed - perhaps it was just preseason, but they looked fast.  They were forcing the Rangers into some errors and then capitalizing on those errors to a degree.  Rangers basically got 2 lucky goals.

Severson is just incredible but I think we'll be saying that lots as the season moves along.

Josefson didn't look out of place beside Henrique and Palmieri.  As crazy as it sounds that line might begin the season if Elias can't make it back.

I like it.  Hopefully Yayo can stay with it for a decent time before getting hurt for a long period of time, maybe even score some points.  It might be safer to shelter Elias's time to start the season and then it looks like they want to let Henrique to be a wing, so maybe there's space for elias to play wing next to Zacha to a few games until they decide to send Zacha back. 

Another interesting tidbit, it looks like Helgeson beat Hrabarenka out for a spot.  Great to see Kalinin sticking in the roster.  Maybe they'll actually only keep Gionta on for the 13th forward type dealio.  I don't see how Gionta stays unless they plan to send Zacha back and they bump Kalinin to 3rd line forward.  I still see one of Kennedy and Stempniak making it, but Kennedy might have a bit of an edge knowing Shero. 

Adam Henrique-Jacob Josefson-Kyle Palmieri

Mike Cammalleri-Travis Zajac-Jiri Tlusty

Patrik Elias-Pavel Zacha-Reid Boucher/Tyler Kennedy/Lee Stempniak

Stefan Matteau-Sergey Kalinin/Stephen Gionta-Lee Stempniak/Jordin Tootoo/Tuomo Ruutu

Edited by RizzMB30

Adam Henrique-Jacob Josefson-Kyle Palmieri

Mike Cammalleri-Travis Zajac-Jiri Tlusty

Patrik Elias-Pavel Zacha-Reid Boucher/Tyler Kennedy/Lee Stempniak

Stefan Matteau-Sergey Kalinin/Stephen Gionta-Lee Stempniak/Jordin Tootoo/Tuomo Ruutu

Not a bad first 2 lines, at all. It's not at all what I would've pictured in June. I have a feeling Palmieri will take the opportunity/role presented to him and absolutely tear it up in the East. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but every line seems like it's been upgraded from last season; we were THAT bad last season.

Not a bad first 2 lines, at all. It's not at all what I would've pictured in June. I have a feeling Palmieri will take the opportunity/role presented to him and absolutely tear it up in the East. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but every line seems like it's been upgraded from last season; we were THAT bad last season.

Post-deadline, yeah, but we really missed Jagr when he left

I really liked Severson's game along with Palmieri; both really stood out in this one. Other than that, I've liked the move to the 1-3-1 PP setup. More teams are using this now than anything else. It puts a ton of pressure on the point man, but it's incredibly hard to defend if the low men can move the puck quickly. Entries are still a bit sloppy, but once it's set, it looked good. My recommendation would be to dump the puck to a corner softly and let the F's out number and outwork the D men if the opponents are clogging the blueline on entry.

I still don't understand why they don't just finish the 5 mins. They didn't even play a full minute of 3 on 3 cause of the penalty.

I agree, think what they are doing is pointless.  Saw one game ended in 12 seconds.  Also, since the whole purpose (I would think) is to let the coaches give guys a look during 3-on-3, I would scrap power-plays for this, as well.  Just make it similar to a misconduct, player goes to the box for 2 mins and they continue 3-on-3.  They have had plenty of work with 4-on-3.  I really do not think at this level they need to be taught the consequences of taking a penalty in OT.

From the horse's mouth (saw him @ Short Hills Mall yesterday and talked to him for a minute) - he's not starting the season.

That damn knee problem that's been nagging him now for 2-3 years. You really can look back and see how it affected his play then. So, no surgery in the off season, the knee gets very painful but subsides quickly after playing.

I   was hoping Patty would be100% this season, so he would command some high draft picks or a good trade before the deadline this season.  Help the organization out rebuilding/sonic youth.