Rumor: Travis Zajac being shopped to Toronto

Biggie B

Technically, Daniel, that's the passive voice, not passive tense. But you're exactly right; people who write for a living can find subtle ways of making headlines sounds a certain way without actually providing any substantial information. The fact that he uses an impersonal 3rd person (ie, "it is believed" rather than "I believe") accomplishes the same thing.

Not trying to be a grammar nazi here, but I thought your point was so good, I couldn't resist cleaning it up for you :)

Technically, Daniel, that's the passive voice, not passive tense. But you're exactly right; people who write for a living can find subtle ways of making headlines sounds a certain way without actually providing any substantial information. The fact that he uses an impersonal 3rd person (ie, "it is believed" rather than "I believe") accomplishes the same thing.

Not trying to be a grammar nazi here, but I thought your point was so good, I couldn't resist cleaning it up for you :)

Thanks, I kind of felt weird using the "tense" when I was typing it, but couldn't think of the right word for whatever reason.

I only fly off the handle when people misuse "begs the question."  Another time, someone insisted that "for all intents and purposes" should actually be "for all intensive purposes". 

I'll be devil's advocate here and cut Chere a little slack (unpopular opinion, I know). The media landscape has changed, and it's not too out of the realm of reality where Chere's higher-ups told him to generate more clicks/click-bait or he's out of a job. That's unfortunately where a ton of "journalism" is headed; Devils beat writers were never going to be immune to it. It's a good-cop/bad-cop routine. NJ.com can't pay two guys full-time to do what Tom Gulitti does (and 99% of the time just report the facts and nothing but), not with the limited audience or fanbase Devils coverage gives them. They tried to throw Randy Miller in there for a season, who I thought did a great job at injecting something a little different, but the clicks/hits probably told them another story and he was reassigned.

People in New Jersey aren't engaged with the team right now, and haven't been since 2012. No one cares... And couple that with the general decline of journalism and news media, and like I said, Chere's probably just doing what he needs to do to stay in a job. Looking at it that way, I still don't take his work seriously, but I don't spout off on him in comments or on Twitter the way some others do. "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

I'll be devil's advocate here and cut Chere a little slack (unpopular opinion, I know). The media landscape has changed, and it's not too out of the realm of reality where Chere's higher-ups told him to generate more clicks/click-bait or he's out of a job. That's unfortunately where a ton of "journalism" is headed; Devils beat writers were never going to be immune to it. It's a good-cop/bad-cop routine. NJ.com can't pay two guys full-time to do what Tom Gulitti does (and 99% of the time just report the facts and nothing but), not with the limited audience or fanbase Devils coverage gives them. They tried to throw Randy Miller in there for a season, who I thought did a great job at injecting something a little different, but the clicks/hits probably told them another story and he was reassigned.

People in New Jersey aren't engaged with the team right now, and haven't been since 2012. No one cares... And couple that with the general decline of journalism and news media, and like I said, Chere's probably just doing what he needs to do to stay in a job. Looking at it that way, I still don't take his work seriously, but I don't spout off on him in comments or on Twitter the way some others do. "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

It's sad, because the guy was a pretty good writer back in the day (80s-90s)...nothing spectacular, but pretty good.  It's pretty clear that he's not really a fit in this era of journalism, and the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, adapt or die" mentality that he's adopted isn't working for him at all.  Regardless of what people think of him (and I agree that he's lost a lot off a fastball that wasn't terribly fast to begin with), he's in a brutal spot...he's not getting any younger, his way of reporting sports (via off the newspaper rack) is dying and antiquated, and he will have a hell of time finding another job.  I'm not sure how old he is (I'm guessing late 50s-early 60s), but if he's just trying to hang on for as long as he can until he can afford to retire, I can understand it. 

It's sad, because the guy was a pretty good writer back in the day (80s-90s)...nothing spectacular, but pretty good. It's pretty clear that he's not really a fit in this era of journalism, and the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, adapt or die" mentality that he's adopted isn't working for him at all. Regardless of what people think of him (and I agree that he's lost a lot off a fastball that wasn't terribly fast to begin with), he's in a brutal spot...he's not getting any younger, his way of reporting sports (via off the newspaper rack) is dying and antiquated, and he will have a hell of time finding another job. I'm not sure how old he is (I'm guessing late 50s-early 60s), but if he's just trying to hang on for as long as he can until he can afford to retire, I can understand it.

I suppose in fairness that I recall someone here posting that click baity tweets is a specific policy at the Ledger. Seems to have some support in the evidence considering that Randy Miller has similar tweets. So if it's being directed by his bosses, I guess I can't hold it against him, although it should still be called out for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose in fairness that I recall someone here posting that click baity tweets is a specific policy at the Ledger. Seems to have some support in the evidence considering that Randy Miller has similar tweets. So if it's being directed by his bosses, I guess I can't hold it against him, although it should still be called out for what it is.

I mean, look around at how bad websites/publications like Forbes, USA Today, NY Post (worse than it already was) have gotten, and the emergence of sites like Buzzfeed, Business Insider, etc... "Click-bait" is every publication's/website's M.O. now, and I'm sure the Ledger gave Chere the ultimatum of doing it or being out of a job.

I personally hate it, but it's a sign of the times, it's not some Rich Chere-only style of "reporting". And unfortunately, from a business stance, it works. I'm sure Єklund (2.3% accurate) generates more hits and ad revenue than the Ledger's Devils coverage, and ask yourself, what the hell does Єklund (2.3% accurate) "do"?

Edited by DJ Eco

I mean, look around at how bad websites/publications like Forbes, USA Today, NY Post (worse than it already was) have gotten, and the emergence of sites like Buzzfeed, Business Insider, etc... "Click-bait" is every publication's/website's M.O. now, and I'm sure the Ledger gave Chere the ultimatum of doing it or being out of a job.

I personally hate it, but it's a sign of the times, it's not some Rich Chere-only style of "reporting". And unfortunately, from a business stance, it works. I'm sure Єklund (2.3% accurate) generates more hits and ad revenue than the Ledger's Devils coverage, and ask yourself, what the hell does Єklund (2.3% accurate) "do"?

He somehow has been getting credible writers to write for the site: Kevin Allen and now Adam Proteau

Zajac is a good player, but not as dynamic of a player to be the centerpiece of any team.  He, right now, is our 1st line center, and that is a problem.

His intangibles (such as playoff clutchness, leadership, low-key demeanor) are very marketable, especially for a place like Toronto that needs low-key, team first mentors.

I would look for a player the likes of JVR...he is a solid player, a Jersey kid, that could be a force up front.  We would, however, need to replace Zajac at center somehow if this were to go down.

The only deal for the Devs is with JVR. Kadri has discipline issues (multiple times) but I think that's who LL & Shanahan want to dump.

McGuire: Zajac a solid pro and role model

Starts @ 5:20min

I'd do Zajac for Kadri all day long. And not just because we share a birthday, which I learned looking up his stats.

Zajac is a good player, but not as dynamic of a player to be the centerpiece of any team. He, right now, is our 1st line center, and that is a problem.

His intangibles (such as playoff clutchness, leadership, low-key demeanor) are very marketable, especially for a place like Toronto that needs low-key, team first mentors.

I would look for a player the likes of JVR...he is a solid player, a Jersey kid, that could be a force up front. We would, however, need to replace Zajac at center somehow if this were to go down.

It seems like Jacob Josefson is actually our first line center now, which may be more of a problem unless whatever Hynes and Shero see in him isn't bullsh!t.

Maybe not, but he's way over paid for a 2nd to 3rd line center, which is what he has become.

Even if he is overpaid, it doesn't make him a bad player.  Plus, his contract has not hindered anything the Devils have done or are trying to do. 

He is a model citizen, a good faceoff man (our only one), and plays responsible defense.  His drop in point production has more to do with the fact that he doesn't have Parise and/or Kovy on his wings anymore, than it does with a change in his play.  Zajac is not a play driver.  He is a support player in the offensive zone that is a very good center for highly skilled wingers.  He is a good player (not a great one), and the fact that people think he is overpaid doesn't change that.   

Even if he is overpaid, it doesn't make him a bad player.  Plus, his contract has not hindered anything the Devils have done or are trying to do. 

He is a model citizen, a good faceoff man (our only one), and plays responsible defense.  His drop in point production has more to do with the fact that he doesn't have Parise and/or Kovy on his wings anymore, than it does with a change in his play.  Zajac is not a play driver.  He is a support player in the offensive zone that is a very good center for highly skilled wingers.  He is a good player (not a great one), and the fact that people think he is overpaid doesn't change that.   

So he's a good player making the most of ANY skater on this team!!  and his contract goes through 2021!!  if you want to be the highest paid player on a team you need to be the STAR!!!  He is not he is a nice complimentary player.

Being a good faceoff man and responsible defensively does not necessarily mean you are a good player. This is the NHL. Guys that fit that description are a dime a dozen. His point production is an embarrassment. Anyone can put up respectable numbers playing with superstars.