Rumor: Travis Zajac being shopped to Toronto

Biggie B

hopefully this isn't true.

Darren Dreger ✔ @DarrenDreger

Travis Zajac's agent, Kurt Overhardt kills trade rumour. "There is absolutely no truth to media speculation of Travis Zajac being traded."

Why? He is still one of our best forwards and his contract isn't hurting us. Also he has looked much faster this preseason so far and he had a great game last night.

Also remember he had a long struggle with the mumps last year. Maybe that really hurt his conditioning. I think he has a nice rebound this year.

We knew it was a pipe dream from the begining!!

i mean i dont know about some of the trade scenarios that ive seen.. but i dont think trading zajac or lou having interest in him is such a "pipe dream" .. zajac would probably be more successful up there than he is here.

All of that trade talk for absolutely nothing. ..amazing. I think zajac will have a bounce back season this year.. hope he does so he shuts up all of the people talking ridiculously poorly about him

I agree. He has the talent, he just doesn't always put it together the right way.

If he could finish he would be in the category of the Patrice Bergeron's. And if he had better linemates dare I say Zetterberg. Travis is a damn good hockey player.

Damn good hockey players make the players around them better

You are looking for a player to come in here and make zajac better, if he's so good time for him to be a true leader and make this team better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if he's so good time for him to be a true leader and make this team better!

Outside of slightly overpaying to retain Travis Zajac, I'm sorry but Lou had no other options. The only other option was to let another first-line player from the 2011-2012 roster leave and get nothing in return. 

Who's our top line center from 2013 to now if we let Travis Zajac walk? When you think about the Clowe signing as a kneejerk reaction to losing Clarkson, it's absolutely terrifying to think about what Lou's limited options would've been to fill Zajac's role.

You need to have the Zetterbergs, Stamkos-es, Getzlafs, Tavares-es, and Giroux-caliber players come up through your farm to be able to sign them, it's common sense. You can't trade for these kinds of players anymore or get them as free agents, these aren't a Plan B or Plan C or D for a team with center depth issues like New Jersey. If you let Zajac walk, you're realistically looking at Stephen Gionta as our 2nd or 3rd line center for a couple years.

What we needed to do (and what Lou did) was recognize you have center depth issues due to poor drafting, you bight the bullet and *slightly* overpay to retain the little that you do have. And looking back, Zajac's deal doesn't handicap us at all, it doesn't affect anything about how our organization goes about its day to day business, so it's not even worth us criticizing Lou for anymore, this is one thing that he had no choice on. The Zajac deal was forced onto him by the consequences of his other mistakes, but it's not a mistake on its own.

Edited by DJ Eco

IMO it's never been a problem of having Zajac and i dont really mind his contract. The problem is having him as our #1 center. He'd be a great #2 or #3 on a very good team. Or if he could have a really good linemate to bring up his game. Like we've seen in the past. But Zajac IMO is not a good core player or a guy you build around. not at all. True #1 centers are what they are cause they bring top game at both end of the rink, travis saddly can't do that.

IMO it's never been a problem of having Zajac and i dont really mind his contract. The problem is having him as our #1 center. He'd be a great #2 or #3 on a very good team. Or if he could have a really good linemate to bring up his game. Like we've seen in the past. But Zajac IMO is not a good core player or a guy you build around. not at all. True #1 centers are what they are cause they bring top game at both end of the rink, travis saddly can't do that.

Here's hoping that Zacha can slowly but surely either start taking that spot over the next few years or become a wing that can get that out of Zajac again.

and people are still complaining about zajacs contract.. as its already been said here if he didnt get that contract then we would have lost another player for nothing.. he isnt paid like a first line center so i dont know why people have such a problem with this.. his years were a bit long but it is what it is.. he is not a first line center but on this bad looking devils roster he is forced into a role that maybe he isnt really capable of handeling ... i honestly dont know why people have such a big issue with travis zajac.. i agree we do need some more production in goals from him but he does alot of other things real well.. we will see if he can bounce back this year.

and people are still complaining about zajacs contract.. as its already been said here if he didnt get that contract then we would have lost another player for nothing.. he isnt paid like a first line center so i dont know why people have such a problem with this.. his years were a bit long but it is what it is.. he is not a first line center but on this bad looking devils roster he is forced into a role that maybe he isnt really capable of handeling ... i honestly dont know why people have such a big issue with travis zajac.. i agree we do need some more production in goals from him but he does alot of other things real well.. we will see if he can bounce back this year.

That's kind of the thing i find a bit... well i'd call it hypocrite (in a way, without being a jerk) about this fanbase, but in all fairness, this fanbase has been brainwash about defence first mentality for over 20 years so that's almost all they care about. And i've discuss this a bit already. 

We can have a player who's gonna do incredible things offensively. But if he's not amazing defensively, he's gonna get sh!t on from the coaches and fanbase like he's a useless piece of sh!t. Then if a guy is complete junk offensively but plays well defensively, everyone is going to cover for him and try to find positives about him cause he's good defensively.

I'm not saying everyone are like that, but a good chunk of our fanbase certainly have that mentality. 

I mean... in a perfect world you want a good balance of course. But you'd think that with a team struggling to score goals, a team with good goaltending and a good D-corp, you'd give a longer leash to offensive guys who can produce. Instead of the known typical devils players who "plays well all game long, do all the right things but can't score goals" and well if you don't score goals you don't win.

I just really don't understand the mentality.

edit: that being said im not saying a guy should get away with everything if he's good offensively. I'm just saying the favouritism for D first is a bit much. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

yeah but men who also think that hockey game is all about defence..

also lose

they can won in SO technically 

and i didnt talk about thinking only defence, i talk about "game is about only points" for poor spirit men

Edited by Guadana

and i didnt talk about thinking only defence, i talk about "game is about only points" for poor spirit men

oh if you thought my post was towards you or something it wasn't. sorry 'bout that.

It's just a general feeling that im getting from this fanbase

oh if you thought my post was towards you or something it wasn't. sorry 'bout that.

if you thought your post may towards me you wrong (but you fvcking steal the larssons picture i would want to put on avatar)

i`m just about you wrong with offensive 

if you think you are not - talk with dallas fans  what do they think about only offense and only points

Edited by Guadana

if you thought your post may towards me you wrong (but you fvcking steal the larssons picture i would want to put on avatar)

i`m just about you wrong with offensive 

if you think you are not - talk with dallas fans  what do they think about only offense and only points

mmmm not exactly sure i understood what you just said but i think you said that i'm all about offense? If that's what you think, that's not what i was saying. lol I said that it's all about balance and that it shouldn't be too much about the D like it's been (that's not saying it should be all offense lol)  

me

men who think that hockey game is about only points 

they lose

you

yeah but men who also think that hockey game is all about defence..

also lose

me

you

i dont see anything in our dialogue about balance

i talk about dallas was second team in scoring, benn won points race

if you dont know dallas didnt play a single game in the playoff

• 2 weeks later...

Calm day...why not dream ?

Tom Gulliti:It's taken me some time to check off everyone on the ice for Devils' practice and Travis Zajac is missing.

https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/654335175837532160

I'm sure he's just sick or something. He isn't getting moved.

@TGfireandice: John Hynes said "just maintenance" for Travis Zajac today. Expects him back at practice tomorrow.

So much for that...

Edited by MadDog2020