GDT Devils at Flyers 9/30 7pm on MSG+

Satans Hockey

This is definitely the most pre-season games we have ever had on TV. It's a nice change. Game is on MSG+

Tonight’s Rosters

Devils

Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider.

Defensemen: Eric Gelinas, Seth Helgeson, Adam Larsson, Jon Merrill, John Moore, David Schlemko, Damon Severson.

Forwards: Reid Boucher, Stephen Gionta, Adam Henrique, Jacob Josefson, Sergey Kalinin, Stefan Matteau, Kyle Palmieri, Tuomo Ruutu, Lee Stempniak, Jiri Tlusty, Pavel Zacha, Travis Zajac.

Philadelphia Flyers

Goaltenders: Jason LaBarbera, Michal Neuvirth.

Defensemen: Michael Del Zotto, Brandon Manning, Evgeni Medvedev, Luke Schenn, Nick Schultz, Mark Streit.

Forwards: Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Sam Gagner, Claude Giroux, Scott Laughton, Chris Porter, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, R.J. Umberger, Chris Vandevelde, Jakub Voracek, Ryan White.

Edited by Satans Hockey

It might be nothing significant, but then again it could be something, and if it is indeed something, then it could be a problem for the Devils.

That's Chere's article in one sentence. One great big "yeah but".

Devils actually got some breaks in this game but in general I liked a lot of what they were doing.  Goal #1 is something that we just didn't see much under DeBoer or the miserable troika - a defenseman stepping up in the neutral zone, carrying the puck forward, and making a great play to streaking forwards.

I'll talk about the guys on the fringe -

Schlemko played well - he obviously took that fluky high sticking penalty but I thought he showed a lot for a player who's missed most of the preseason.

Gelinas was pretty bad, but that's nothing new.  Pairing him with Helgeson doesn't help - both of them together were just lost with the puck.

Matteau was not good again.  He probably has a spot on the team but he took a horrific offensive zone penalty and did little else of note.

Boucher made a great pass to set up the Devils' best scoring chance that didn't go in (probably) - he still looks like he's slow out there, but he also got Henrique (?) in on a partial breakaway with a good pass.

Zacha looks like he might still be injured from when he took that shot off his foot.  He's not playing well and he'll probably be sent back to junior by the end of the week.

Kalinin made some nice plays and ended up with 3 shots on goal, including that scoring chance near the end.  It's hard to know what to make of him - Zubrus without the awareness?  But I love big-body European players who can skate - I feel Kalinin can take a shift in the NHL but I'm not sure how good those shifts will be.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, forgot about Stempniak, but I think he's already earned his contract.  He seems like he can still be an effective player.

Edited by Triumph

THE PROS:

This wasn't a typical "good solid Zajac" performance, he was flat out dominant last night. If you gave them all the same jerseys and numbers, and told me to pick out who he was from a distance, I would've said that was Giroux or Voracek. He was making plays on and off the puck that we've never really seen from him, even when he's playing well. Let's hope this keeps up, the important thing for him will be consistency, but I like the spark he showed against what was a good Flyers team and mostly top-line opposition.

Ditto on Palmieri, before he left the game. He will be a force to be reckoned with in the East. He's been playing in a highly skilled and extremely physical Pacific Division for years and it shows. The Henrique PP goal was all him. A bad pass by one of our guys at the point ends up on a Flyer's stick, I don't know how Palmieri got to him so quickly but he did, and pretty much muscled him off the puck that he was about to clear; sends it around the boards, the Devils set up and Palmieri gets it right back on his stick. He took a Kovalchukian slapshot, hits the post, Devils get it again, they set up, it ends right back on Palmieri's stick and he has the vision to slap-pass it to Henrique through traffic for the tip-in goal. What a sequence by Palmieri, it was all him.

Stempniak had a fantastic game. I can't imagine his agent not working the phones with Shero right now. What a world we live in where this time last year, he probably would've been locked down on July 1st with a $3m/year contract, and he'll probably make $1m or less now, and from a tryout (same for Tlusty).

Another very good game by Josefson, he looks poised to grab his opportunity this year. Boucher, while not excelling past what was expected of him, is looking encouraging and showing us and the coaches what he needed to show us.

I really like what I've seen from Sergey Kalinin, he's had a very underrated preseason; it's gotten better the more he plays (as it should; let's not forget he's only one month removed from playing in a different league with a larger ice size, and speaking his native language, with teammates he knew). I saw him back-checking deep on D, making some really nice passing plays up front, and his speed and positioning look good (we saw it on that wraparound). He looks like a very smart player who can contribute for us this year and beyond. I hope he makes the starting lineup, he's made his case.

Zacha probably goes back to juniors tomorrow, not because he doesn't belong here but it's just the right move (both for him, and the depth we need to fit in and gel together early on). He's not far off, I can't imagine him NOT in the NHL within 2 years, and playing a big role when that time does come. His passing is just unreal, we saw it on the power play. The vision and laser-quick speed of his passing reminds me of Kovalchuk, and it could even be better with further development.

Adam Larsson continues to wow me. Larsson = the future.

Kinkaid looked solid, nothing crazy out there, but the reliable self he was last year. I just didn't want to see a noticeable regression on his part, and in general, he's proven he still belongs up here and last year was no fluke.

Severson picked up right where he left off last year.

THE CONS:

I don't think Gionta makes the starting lineup. I don't see how he does. He's shown nothing in preseason, and frankly, I've seen nothing from Hynes that indicates he plans on starting him. Then, that missed empty net in the last 30 seconds? Pretty much summarizes his preseason; he doesn't really have much to offer this team. Meanwhile, paid tryouts and kids 12 years younger than him are zipping up and down the ice and contributing in very real ways.

I don't know what to say about Stefan Matteau. Maybe he was more useful in Pete DeBoer's slower and grittier system? He sure looked encouraging at the end of last season; not so much now. I'd say he's done as little as Gionta has to deserve a spot on the team, but he's done worse: he takes stupid penalties every time he plays.

I didn't think Gelinas was too bad, like some others have. He's shown a more physical side. However, regarding the logjam on D, I just hope he can be the piece that is traded before other GMs get a whiff of his "real" value. I don't think he'll develop to being more than a good shot on the power play.

Edited by DJ Eco