Press conference with Marty on Tuesday

MrBreeze

It sounds to me like you're the victim of phone tag, on a day where 400-1000 of this guy's season ticket accounts were probably blowing up his phone over the same thing.

This is probably the most in-demand game the Devils have played since SCF Game 7 in 2003 or ECF Game 6 in 2012 (maybe). I know it sucks, but I wouldn't take it too personally. You're "trying to give them your money" but so are 200,000 other long-time Devils fans around the country, some who are flying in from overseas for this ceremony.

That being said, the rep obviously handled it badly. 

He was clear on what I wanted, he just wasn't clear to me on what was happening.

I really only got pissed because he knew I didn't want to spend the $$ he was offering and he acted all arrogant about it.

He ended the phone call by saying 'Good luck finding tickets'

I also wonder what the rep's side is of this story.  I can't imagine he got pissy like that all because you wouldn't buy them.  I am wondering if there is more to the story we are not hearing.

Not saying you are a bad person or anything like that at all.  There have been situations like these where I think I come across as pleasant but don't realize until either later or someone else who was there tells me that I was not pleasant at all.  Yeah it is the employee's job to take criticism and to expect not he happiest customers in the world, but they are human too.

DJ is right about how sought after this game was.  This is to the Devils like Messier night was to the Rangers back in 2006.  I think this beats out the 2012 ECF game 6 and really the only games I can compare this to is the 1995 SCF game 4 or 2003 SCF game 7.  Everyone wants to be there and the building can only hold so many.  People are going to get burned.

Edited by DevsMan84

We do the church outing every year and my mom bought 54 for 2/9 back when tickets first went on sale, it was the only night she could do it. We just got lucky. I will keep your names in mind for when I have extras. I have a group of 8 seats in the nosebleeds that will definitely be sold separate from the chuch tickets, so I will definitely let you guys get those when the time comes.

Please go ahead and add me to the list as well, if there are still potentially extras.

Two, for my Dad and I.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I looked at Stubhub the day before the announcement and tickets were about $60, wasn't sure that would be the game, so didn't pull the trigger. The morning of the announcement I heard more and more that it would be 2/9, so I tried to get a 6 game plan with the 2/9 game included, and it didn't have a place to enter my information on their website. They had live chat option so I started a chat and they told me to call. I called and spoke to the rep, and he said he was going to the announcement now and would call me later, because some things might change after the announcement. I said I was going to the announcement as well, and he said he would call me and we could meet to talk. I was trying to get 5 games for the cheapest price, and would get a better seat for the Oilers game, after I met him he told me all the tickets would need to be the same group, so I said fine and told him I would take the cheap seats for all 6 games I chose. Gave him my credit card and he said he would go back to his desk and verify the games, and call me back. He didn't call back till later that night and left me a message to call him as soon as possible. I called early that next morning and he told me that since I didn't confirm with him yesterday, that most of the seats were gone, and he would have to check what was left over. I told him I did confirm and gave you all the games I wanted and the credit card number. He called about an hour later and told me the only option left was the club seats for the 4 game Marty pack and would cost me $1,600, he said the other option was the Membership program which I think was over $2,000. I hung up the phone on him. I tweeted Hugh Weber about it since he seems to be on Twitter 24/7, but he never responded yesterday. I used to buy partial packages, now I stick with buying tickets for the games I can make, but after this incident really soured me on giving them more money. They finally have a game everyone wants to see and they are trying to milk every last dollar. I know that they are a business and need to make money, but just the way the rep handled the whole situation was really bad. He didn't want to hear from me when I told him that $1,600 was out of my price range for 4 games.

Without being rude it seems like you didnt want the tickets enough. As others have said that guy probably had people throwing money at him for seats.

He calls you tells you to call him ASAP and you call back thr next day? You can hardly be surprised all the cheap stuff was taken.

Guess I might not have gotten back to him immediately, but I was pretty sure it was clear that I wanted the 6 game pack before I left the arena after the announcement.  I was under the impression he would charge my card and that was the end of the story, because that is what he told me he was going to do.  I also made it clear that I didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money for 4 games, if I had the money available he was asking for I probably would have just gotten season tickets in the 200s.  Just a bit out of my price range, was hoping to see this game, but guess I will watch on TV now.

Guess I might not have gotten back to him immediately, but I was pretty sure it was clear that I wanted the 6 game pack before I left the arena after the announcement. I was under the impression he would charge my card and that was the end of the story, because that is what he told me he was going to do. I also made it clear that I didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money for 4 games, if I had the money available he was asking for I probably would have just gotten season tickets in the 200s. Just a bit out of my price range, was hoping to see this game, but guess I will watch on TV now.

I think him taking your card details probably gave you a bit of false hope which is a bit unprofessional on his part and probably gave the wrong impression that you had reserved something.

I think him taking your card details probably gave you a bit of false hope which is a bit unprofessional on his part and probably gave the wrong impression that you had reserved something.

Perhaps the rep didn't want to charge his card until after he confirmed the pricing with him.  His definition of crazy pricing might be different than that of his customer, even if it was one of the cheaper plans.

Guess I might not have gotten back to him immediately, but I was pretty sure it was clear that I wanted the 6 game pack before I left the arena after the announcement.  I was under the impression he would charge my card and that was the end of the story, because that is what he told me he was going to do.  I also made it clear that I didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money for 4 games, if I had the money available he was asking for I probably would have just gotten season tickets in the 200s.  Just a bit out of my price range, was hoping to see this game, but guess I will watch on TV now.

Sounds like one big misunderstanding. It sucks, I know, but keep your eyes open and I think *some* tickets will float around between now and then, there's still 5 months between now and then; I wish you luck!

Sounds like one big misunderstanding. It sucks, I know, but keep your eyes open and I think *some* tickets will float around between now and then, there's still 5 months between now and then; I wish you luck!

Thanks very much, fingers are crossed.

Perhaps the rep didn't want to charge his card until after he confirmed the pricing with him. His definition of crazy pricing might be different than that of his customer, even if it was one of the cheaper plans.

A fair point. But if he was going to check back anyway he should just get the details then. Is it good practice to start walking around with peoples card details?

I also wonder what the rep's side is of this story.  I can't imagine he got pissy like that all because you wouldn't buy them.  I am wondering if there is more to the story we are not hearing.

I don't find it hard to believe that some of the Devils reps are getting snippy over this game. This is a huge money-making opportunity for them - they are gunning for as big of a commission as possible and I can see that leading to some less-than-desirable customer service in certain situations.

I personally communicated with two reps about this game. One was rather grumpy and borderline rude, and while the other was very polite and responsive, they told me that the game was almost entirely sold out and that the only way to get tickets was to buy a 4-game "Marty Pack," a Flex Membership, or Season Tickets. I was told that the cheapest Marty Packs available were $2,600 each, so I might as well go with a $2,500 Flex Membership. An hour after being told this, I was able to pull up a $1,580 "Marty Pack" on the Devils site. So, either this rep was misinformed or lying. Either way, not good.

Of course, this varies by rep. On the flip side of things, a friend of mine has a rep who went above and beyond to secure him multiple tickets to Marty night without giving an attitude or trying to sell him on an even bigger package.