Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

Looking at StubHub you'd think they would be a bit more excitement for the Islanders in Brooklyn but the price to get in the building against the Predators is cheaper then the Tuesday game with the Devils.

thats because that building blows to watch a hockey game.. you would think that if they were building a new arena like that it would be built so that they could have any type of entertainment in there and not have to worry about sight issues.. that place is a total embaressment to islander fans and if i was one of them i would be beyond pissed off.

I'm too tired to comment further. Isles had a nice turn out at Barclays for a fun game they lost to Kane and the Hawks in OT. And the Coyotes ripped the Kings 4-1. Max Domi with a goal and assist! LA not looking too good. Congrats also to Wings rookie Dylan Larkin. Goal and helper in Detroit's rout of Babcock's Leafs. He's gonna be a good one. And Domi I love.

Let's all remember when we're talking about the already failed Barclays experiment that this building is in the biggest city on the continent. They'd be better served with the colosseum falling down on top of them. Or in Quebec. I read that 30% of ticket sales were coming from Nassau and Suffolk, which is even worse than I had anticipated.

As for the Devils attendance woes, where is the god damn marketing. Lou is gone. Billboards, events, promote this team. They're all we got, sell it.

Let's all remember when we're talking about the already failed Barclays experiment that this building is in the biggest city on the continent. They'd be better served with the colosseum falling down on top of them. Or in Quebec. I read that 30% of ticket sales were coming from Nassau and Suffolk, which is even worse than I had anticipated.

As for the Devils attendance woes, where is the god damn marketing. Lou is gone. Billboards, events, promote this team. They're all we got, sell it.

What the Islanders are doing and how they are trying to market themselves as a Brooklyn/NYC team would make me sick to my stomach if if I was an Isles fan from Long Island. The other day, they had a couple Isles players at the Empire State Building to flip the switch lighting it up in blue and orange (which is relevant to the Mets too, but still, you see what's being implied here by having Islander players doing this). It's almost like they are trying to distance themselves from LI, while selling out to embrace a NYC identity. I'd be IRATE about that if I was an Isles fan.

What's scary to me about the Islanders situation is they have a playoff team against the defending cup champs for the arenas first regular season game and it didn't even come close to selling out. I can't imagine how bad their attendance is going to be against the jets and preds next week.

I read a lot of the posts on hf boards and so many of the fans were unhappy with the commute and the seats and atmosphere.

And while I'm sure a lot of them will still come back for another game the commute issue for their long Island fan base really is going to be an issue that will keep fans from going to games.

I want it to work for the Islanders but if this is a sign of things to come there is no way they will stay there long term.

Part of me is glad Lou Lamoriello never had to go through what Dean Lombardi is going through in LA, because Lombardi's letter about Mike Richards is the most self-serving, woe-is-me horsesh!t, and I'm afraid Lou would have a similar reaction.

I don't get it. He "tried everything" but clearly tried nothing if he was dealing with personal issues that Lombardi ignored or "refused to believe."

Dean Lombardi wanted Mike Richards to be something he wasn't. Maybe Mike Richards let him down a bit with some things we don't, but it sure sounds like his insane expectations of the person and player really let Dean down.

I don't get it. He "tried everything" but clearly tried nothing if he was dealing with personal issues that Lombardi ignored or "refused to believe."

Dean Lombardi wanted Mike Richards to be something he wasn't. Maybe Mike Richards let him down a bit with some things we don't, but it sure sounds like his insane expectations of the person and player really let Dean down.

I'm sure Richards lied to him and it sucks to be lied to, but anyone paying attention to the situation knew that - Lombardi went to Ontario and got a Hitler-to-Neville Chamberlain promise from Richards about how he was going to commit himself more to hockey - he spoke to the media about this - and then whether by apathy or addiction or both, Richards clearly didn't do that.  But Lombardi's more upset that he was made to look like an ass by believing Richards than the fact that Richards is clearly going through something more serious than 'not a great hockey player anymore'.  Now maybe Richards was having substance abuse issues, Lombardi confronted him about it without direct evidence, and he refused to admit that - then I can see Lombardi being upset, but still not upset enough to write this thing.

There's a lot of cases of athletes who have gone through substance abuse issues - just in hockey, I can think of Daneyko, Tootoo, Probert, Klima - and then guys who succumbed, like Brantt Myhres who was suspended for life and Derek Boogaard who wasn't as lucky.  I think in most cases, GMs assume that a man's commitment to hockey will supercede their addiction, that risking losing hockey is too much for these guys who've worked their whole lives to be in the position they're in.  It's just not always going to work that way though.

Bettman was in the new NHL studios located in Secaucus, NJ, burbled about Raffe Torres and other players being self destructive in the league, he didn't mention Richards, but mentioned the "off ice behavior" and "theirs dozens of players ready to take your spot", so it's a matter of choice. You choose the wrong path, then say goodbye to the NHL. Richards' performance  has decline  like falling off a cliff, sorta like when Theo Flury signed with the Rags... The NYC limelight of coke and clubs is all he could do in his off ice time, it destroyed his hockey career very quickly.

What the Islanders are doing and how they are trying to market themselves as a Brooklyn/NYC team would make me sick to my stomach if if I was an Isles fan from Long Island. The other day, they had a couple Isles players at the Empire State Building to flip the switch lighting it up in blue and orange (which is relevant to the Mets too, but still, you see what's being implied here by having Islander players doing this). It's almost like they are trying to distance themselves from LI, while selling out to embrace a NYC identity. I'd be IRATE about that if I was an Isles fan.

This is exactly what I said a few weeks ago about the whole situation. They're going to alienate their fans to go after a market they don't belong in.

If what he said is true, then Babcock is a liar. I don't blame him.

Update on Kreider. No discipline. Not sure I agree.

I'm getting to the point now where I'm starting to think Kreider could literally take his skate off and slash an opponent's throat with it and still get no punishment. This is ridiculous now with this guy. Edited by MadDog2020

This is exactly what I said a few weeks ago about the whole situation. They're going to alienate their fans to go after a market they don't belong in.

It's a slap in the face to anyone that grew up on Long Island supporting that franchise. It really sucks that it was either this disaster or Kansas City for them, because they're gonna lose their identity in that hipster dump.

It's a slap in the face to anyone that grew up on Long Island supporting that franchise. It really sucks that it was either this disaster or Kansas City for them, because they're gonna lose their identity in that hipster dump.

Owners don't care because Barclays Center is taking most of the risk by guaranteeing the team a certain sum (I think the number is approximately $50 million per season) to play there while Barclays keeps most of the ticket/concessions revenue.

That arena sucks for hockey, and makes them look like a joke, no matter how much the media tries to spin it. But the alternative certainly worse, so in the end isles fans will reluctantly have to accept it.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I'm sure Richards lied to him and it sucks to be lied to, but anyone paying attention to the situation knew that - Lombardi went to Ontario and got a Hitler-to-Neville Chamberlain promise from Richards about how he was going to commit himself more to hockey - he spoke to the media about this - and then whether by apathy or addiction or both, Richards clearly didn't do that.  But Lombardi's more upset that he was made to look like an ass by believing Richards than the fact that Richards is clearly going through something more serious than 'not a great hockey player anymore'.  Now maybe Richards was having substance abuse issues, Lombardi confronted him about it without direct evidence, and he refused to admit that - then I can see Lombardi being upset, but still not upset enough to write this thing.

There's a lot of cases of athletes who have gone through substance abuse issues - just in hockey, I can think of Daneyko, Tootoo, Probert, Klima - and then guys who succumbed, like Brantt Myhres who was suspended for life and Derek Boogaard who wasn't as lucky.  I think in most cases, GMs assume that a man's commitment to hockey will supercede their addiction, that risking losing hockey is too much for these guys who've worked their whole lives to be in the position they're in.  It's just not always going to work that way though.

The last part. How can they assume that because these guys play a sport, it's going to supersede their addiction? It's a sickness that must be dealt with. Not ignored. I read Theo Fleury's book and that was unbelievable. The stuff in it. The magnitude. Of course, the background of his situation contributed to it. How many times have we seen it in sports? It destroyed Gooden and Strawberry. Even though they came back in Pinstripes. And for Doc, he didn't conquer it for so long while Straw got better quicker. it doesn't just go away. I can't believe how gullible Lombardi was with Richards. How irresponsible. They should've shut him down and put him in the league substance abuse program. Brutal.

I'm getting to the point now where I'm starting to think Kreider could literally take his skate off and slash an opponent's throat with it and still get no punishment. This is ridiculous now with this guy.

For whatever reason, they don't view him as "dirty." Eventually, it'll change. Johnson had a late hit on Hayes tonight but that was from the side and behind. Similar in terms of the lateness. But Hayes was able to come back. As for the game, the Rangers showed the Jackets who's boss. Lindberg with 2 more and Lundqvist with some great saves. One ridiculous stop on Johansen with the goal stick.

Other notables. Coyotes are 2-0! They edge the Pens 2-1. Kessel with the lone goal. Crosby with no points and no SOG in 2 games. Arizona plays hard. They fired over 40 on Fleury. And Smith played well. Domi and Duclair looking good so far. 

Bruins are bad. They lose to the Habs. No Chara again. Pastrnak 2 more points. He's gonna be a good one. But the B's lose 4-2. Have a goal wiped out due to "incidental contact." Julien challenged and lost. 

Flyers get humiliated by Panthers. Trocheck 4 points and the ageless Jagr 2 goals. :)

Johnny Hockey beats the Canucks in the 3-on-3 roller derby with a sick finish.

MD is right about the Islanders. It has to do with the idiots that run Barclays. They basically are whoring themselves out to Brooklyn turning their back on LI. 

Also love what I saw from the Sharks. A dominant 2-0 shutout of the Ducks at home. DeBoer getting it done with his new goalie Martin Jones so far. Marleau with 2.

Edited by Derek21