Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

Union members do the bidding of what union leadership demands, whether it affects their livelihood or not.  The point is that they are a motivated bunch while the Islanders fans are not.

Wang and co. agreed to pay for a brand new arena with the county and municipality chipping in a little to pay for the inevitable infrastructure improvements.  At this point it didn't even come up for this vote at this round (I believe this is in 2010) as Kate Murray nixed the idea from the beginning citing that it would take away from the "suburban feel" of Nassau county.  The next and final attempt Wang and co. made was where public money was used for the arena and that was shot down.

I stand by what I said that Islanders fans had a chance to get a brand new arena.  The voters decided to vote it down (more than once over the years) and their elected leaders also wanted nothing to do with it.  If the Islanders fans hated this much they could have galvanized their fanbase and either voted for the measure of vote out the politicians.  Neither happened so they reap what they sow.  Fine that you don't want to pay extra taxes.  I wouldn't want to either.  However, don't whine about what he end-result is.

I lived in Nassau County for 17 years and know all about Nassau politics.  The problem is voting these people out are easier said than done.  Kate Murray is the Supervisor for the Town of Hempstead, not everyone in Nassau can vote on her elections.  Murray is also a republican and Nassau County is a VERY Republican county.  People are not going to vote for a democrat because of her stance on the Islanders.  Only way she would lose to a democrat is if evidence was unearthed that implicated her in sending money to ISIS.  Also dealing with joint jurisdictions. The Town of Hempstead is part of Nassau County, but within the town, the Town is responsible for certain things and the County responsible (financially responsible) for others.  For example, The Town employs and is responsible for residential trash removal.  County hires and is responsible for the Police Department.  Some areas have their own police department, but nobody within the town of hempstead does.

Secondly, Nassau County has approximately 1.5 million people. Figure roughly 1 million voters?   How many do you think are Isles fans and of those how many do you think are big enough fans to actually make the effort to vote or drum up support for a new arena?  Not nearly enough.  When they had the last vote (might have been 2010, don't recall off the top of my head) I had read that only about 10% of eligible voters actually showed up.  Point is, it is not the Islanders fans who voted it down, it is everyone else.

As for unions, why do they vote how the union leaders tell them?  Because the union leaders convince them their livelihood depends on who is in office.  I'm part of a union, but rarely vote for whom they endorse.

was just watching a little nhl network and they were talking about stamkos and how he is a FA after this season and he will likely end up becoming the highest paid player in the league and the chances he ends up staying in tampa ... anyone have any idea about tampas cap situation and if they would even be able to afford to sign him to 10+mill. a season... my god the things i would do to get him in NJ...i know a pipe dream.. but we do have alot of money to spend

was just watching a little nhl network and they were talking about stamkos and how he is a FA after this season and he will likely end up becoming the highest paid player in the league and the chances he ends up staying in tampa ... anyone have any idea about tampas cap situation and if they would even be able to afford to sign him to 10+mill. a season... my god the things i would do to get him in NJ...i know a pipe dream.. but we do have alot of money to spend

if you can't fit him in your cap you find a way to make it work. You trade another player or something. You need to keep a guy like that.

There's also absolutely no way he's coming here even if we're the highest bidders. He came this close to win a cup. Thats what he wants... he'll certainly won't go to a team years and years away from being contenders. It's home or staying with Tampa in his case im sure

Edited by SterioDesign

Yeah im not exactly sure why our fanbase is trying to make fun of another team struggling with attendance? Lol

I think we're the butt of all jokes, attendance-wise in the tristate area; Isles fans take part in the jokes too. So I think we feel the need to point out when another team is right down there with us.

if you can't fit him in your cap you find a way to make it work. You trade another player or something. You need to keep a guy like that.

There's also absolutely no way he's coming here even if we're the highest bidders. He came this close to win a cup. Thats what he wants... he'll certainly won't go to a team years and years away from being contenders. It's home or staying with Tampa in his case im sure

while i do agree with you that if they need to they will try to unload some of their cap to try and make space for him.. but i dont think there is any guarentee that he stays in tampa.. one of the attractive points for him to stay is they are a tax free state.. but i think if he gets an offer for a couple million more from someone else .. who knows. Also as far as us not being close to a contender.. its certainly not even a thought this season but if the team was to gain a player like stamkos all they would need is another piece of real top 6 talent and we are there. Edited by 2ELIAS6

while i do agree with you that if they need to they will try to unload some of their cap to try and make space for him.. but i dont think there is any guarentee that he stays in tampa.. one of the attractive points for him to stay is they are a tax free state.. but i think if he gets an offer for a couple million more from someone else .. who knows. Also as far as us not being close to a contender.. its certainly not even a thought this season but if the team was to gain a player like stamkos all they would need is another piece of real top 6 talent and we are there.

i'm really not sure about that. Outside of Stamkos Tampa still have a far superior roster than we have. And they didnt get it done with him. I really don't think we'd be set with that. Again that's all on paper, LA has a playoffs roster and still missed. You never know.

The last part. How can they assume that because these guys play a sport, it's going to supersede their addiction? It's a sickness that must be dealt with. Not ignored. I read Theo Fleury's book and that was unbelievable. The stuff in it. The magnitude. Of course, the background of his situation contributed to it. How many times have we seen it in sports? It destroyed Gooden and Strawberry. Even though they came back in Pinstripes. And for Doc, he didn't conquer it for so long while Straw got better quicker. it doesn't just go away. I can't believe how gullible Lombardi was with Richards. How irresponsible. They should've shut him down and put him in the league substance abuse program. Brutal.

I know this isn't on-topic entirely, but if you haven't read Doc: A Memoir, you should.  The opening chapter (about an all-night coke binge that took place almost immediately after the Mets' 1986 Series win) really makes you think "Holy sh!t!"  Gooden was such a mess that he couldn't make it to the victory parade.  He made it clear that there's also a difference between simply not using and really trying to take control of one's addiction.  Though he managed to stay clean for about seven years (after rehabbing in 1987, when he was suspended to start that season), he admitted in his book he never really committed to the program, and simply said and did what he thought he had to to get back on the field ASAP.  Some of the stuff in the book is really heartbreaking...he actually wound up in prison at the same time his eldest son was there (both were in for separate drug charges).   

I think we're the butt of all jokes, attendance-wise in the tristate area; Isles fans take part in the jokes too. So I think we feel the need to point out when another team is right down there with us.

The Ilses consistently are in the bottom 3 of attendance. They outdrew us for the first time in how many years, and barely, fielding a first place team for much of the year.

No one was making fun of the Isles or their attendance as far as I know. We were having what was a more than reasonable discussion about an incredibly unique situation that's in it's infancy. If I'm making negative comments about their attendance this year, it's because I'm being critical of the move to Barclays and the alienation of the Long Island fan base.

As far as how many people were there from Nassau/Suffolk counties, I trust the 30% figure I read. If anything, the tone of the quote was upselling those figures. If 4000 fans from the island were taking LIRR home, then yea, it'll probably feel like a huge amount of people if you're on that train.

I know this isn't on-topic entirely, but if you haven't read Doc: A Memoir, you should.  The opening chapter (about an all-night coke binge that took place almost immediately after the Mets' 1986 Series win) really makes you think "Holy sh!t!"  Gooden was such a mess that he couldn't make it to the victory parade.  He made it clear that there's also a difference between simply not using and really trying to take control of one's addiction.  Though he managed to stay clean for about seven years (after rehabbing in 1987, when he was suspended to start that season), he admitted in his book he never really committed to the program, and simply said and did what he thought he had to to get back on the field ASAP.  Some of the stuff in the book is really heartbreaking...he actually wound up in prison at the same time his eldest son was there (both were in for separate drug charges).   

Yes, I heard about that. I have also read some of the book about the 1986 Mets. Amazin'.

Duclair nets his 1st hat trick. Congrats Duke. He and Domi are terrorizing those preseason champs in Anaheim.

Part of me is glad Lou Lamoriello never had to go through what Dean Lombardi is going through in LA, because Lombardi's letter about Mike Richards is the most self-serving, woe-is-me horsesh!t, and I'm afraid Lou would have a similar reaction.

No he wouldn't have. He disposed of Deron Quint quietly when he got thrown off the team and didn't say much at all about the Russian merc stabbing the organization in the back. Hell Lou didn't even say jack when Claude pulled his fax bs

No he wouldn't have. He disposed of Deron Quint quietly when he got thrown off the team and didn't say much at all about the Russian merc stabbing the organization in the back. Hell Lou didn't even say jack when Claude pulled his fax bs

Exactly.  He didn't give any details about the Mike Jefferson/Danton situation either.  No way Lou says anything about it, other than "status quo."  He might have thought it, but he would never have said anything about it publicly, other than some "say something without revealing anything" line, a la Derek Jeter.  

Claude complained about his contract situation, which is what got him traded the first time around.

Yep. Lemeuix signed an extension before the playoffs, but wanted to renegotiate after winning the Conn Smythe. Lou wasn't having it, and that led to one of the worst trades in franchise history.

Yep. Lemeuix signed an extension before the playoffs, but wanted to renegotiate after winning the Conn Smythe. Lou wasn't having it, and that led to one of the worst trades in franchise history.

They got back Steve Thomas in that deal who wasn't that bad.  You're right that it was probably one of the worst deals during Lou's tenure, which gives you a sense that he rarely made a bad trade. 

Deron Quint was on the team for a week and a half.  Kovalchuk situation was 100% different and has no bearing on this at all.  Same with Lemieux.  There's an enormous difference between 'player is unhappy with contract/situation' and 'player is addicted to X'.  With Daneyko the team stuck by him, and I imagine there's cases we don't know about.  The point is that with this letter, Lombardi seems to think Richards' apparent drug problem reflects poorly on him, Dean Lombardi, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear similar language out of Lou.

Deron Quint was on the team for a week and a half.  Kovalchuk situation was 100% different and has no bearing on this at all.  Same with Lemieux.  There's an enormous difference between 'player is unhappy with contract/situation' and 'player is addicted to X'.  With Daneyko the team stuck by him, and I imagine there's cases we don't know about.  The point is that with this letter, Lombardi seems to think Richards' apparent drug problem reflects poorly on him, Dean Lombardi, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear similar language out of Lou.

Yeah, the first thing we all think about how Lou operates is that when something happens he doesn't like, he runs to the media and airs his dirty laundry out.  You even said, we have no idea about what happened with Daneyko.

Lou may have found it reflective of the Devils/himself but there is no way you, me or anyone else would know about it outside the organization.  It's just you hating on Lou and using a "protégé" to say Lou would do it the same way.

Exactly.  He didn't give any details about the Mike Jefferson/Danton situation either.  No way Lou says anything about it, other than "status quo."  He might have thought it, but he would never have said anything about it publicly, other than some "say something without revealing anything" line, a la Derek Jeter.  

Oh gee I forgot about that one...that guy was even more of a clusterfvck than Mike Richards.

But yes Lou ALWAYS keeps his cards close to the vest, particuarly about negative stuff.  I get people want to bag on Lou cause his last five years here were bad but let's not add characteristics to him that didn't exist.  Comparing Lou to lawyer Dean is like comparing Lou to windbag Brian Burke.  There's been a ton of stuff that reflected on the organization negatively in the last five years and the closest Lou ever came to airing dirty laundry was after Kovy contract #1.

Edited by NJDevs4978