Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

I realise he has a one way contract but at what point do the team give up with him? He is pretty much dead weight at this point and it's a wasted roster spot.

And what happens when Elias comes back?

He was a first round pick three years ago. He's also the pick Lou stupidly kept (#29 in 2012). It's too early to give up on him and just let another team have him for nothing. That would be lousy asset management.

He was a first round pick three years ago. He's also the pick Lou stupidly kept (#29 in 2012). It's too early to give up on him and just let another team have him for nothing. That would be lousy asset management.

Again i am aware of his history, but you cant allow historical decisions to dictate the current situation.

He was a first round pick, but he isnt showing he was worth it and isn't doing anything to suggest he is worth a roster spot. He has been a healthy scratch for 7 games. And we have Elias and Ruutu to come back. Space needs to be made somewhere and most other players are showing they belong. If the team feel Kennedy is worth having that's a big log jamm at forward.

Who do you cut instead to make room? Farnham?Gelinas?

Also still don't get why Lou was stupid to keep the pick given that we ended up not having to forfeit.

Also still don't get why Lou was stupid to keep the pick given that we ended up not having to forfeit.

The only way it looks way worse is if Quenneville doesn't pan out and where ever the Devils should have picked in 2014 ends up with a string of really good NHL players near that spot.

Edited by roomtemp

Not to derail the thread, but I'll never understand this either.

29th O/A in 2012

30th O/A in 2014

OR

Top-5 in 2015

No brainier to me, quality over quantity every time. But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

Edited by Devilsfan118

29th O/A in 2012

30th O/A in 2015

OR

Top-5 in 2015

No brainier to me, quality over quantity every time. But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

Pretty sure we would have been in position for Ehlers in 2014 if Lou just forfeited 29... I try not to think about that too much, as it tends to piss me off. [emoji35]

Again i am aware of his history, but you cant allow historical decisions to dictate the current situation.

He was a first round pick, but he isnt showing he was worth it and isn't doing anything to suggest he is worth a roster spot. He has been a healthy scratch for 7 games. And we have Elias and Ruutu to come back. Space needs to be made somewhere and most other players are showing they belong. If the team feel Kennedy is worth having that's a big log jamm at forward.

Who do you cut instead to make room? Farnham?Gelinas?

Right, I get that... But it's also important to remember Matteau is still only 21 years old. It would be a mistake to just waive him and lose him for nothing- again, bad asset management. I'd much rather see if the kid can make it work here than just give him away for nothing just to open a roster spot. Edited by MadDog2020

29th O/A in 2012

30th O/A in 2014

OR

Top-5 in 2015

No it would have been the #11 pick in 2014, they got moved down in the 2014 draft in the last year of their penalty...we had our top five (well top six) pick in 2015.  So basically it'd have been Matteau and Quenneville for whoever we would have picked at #11 in 2014 - ideally Larkin but who knows.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Right, I get that... But it's also important to remember Matteau is still only 21 years old. It would be a mistake to just waive him and lose him for nothing- again, bad asset management. I'd much rather see if the kid can make it work here than just give him away for nothing just to open a roster spot.

I really don't see him having that much value at this stage. At best he is padding on a trade involving another player, like Patrice Cormier.

As has been said in the other thread he doesn't seem like an NHL quality player right now.

Rangers 1st loss in a while last night. Aside from St. Louis and Washington a couple weeks ago, it was a rare game against a pretty good team, compared to their last month of bottom-feeding opposition.

For sure, they're a good team firing on all cylinders, but glancing at their season schedule, it's pretty crazy how top-heavy their schedule is from February to April vs. how much easier their October to mid-December schedule is. A huge chunk of their first half of the season has been against non-playoff (or at least they're not projected to make the playoffs) teams, and vice versa on those last 3 months. Should be an interesting second half to really see what they're made of.

I thought maybe my bias was behind how I view the Rangers right now, but ESPN has them as the 3rd easiest strength-of-schedule in the East (behind Washington and Philly), if you believe in that sort of thing. I had similar feelings about Capitals' start re: their schedule, but the rest of the season balances out a bit more evenly; it's not as top-heavy/top-light as the Rangers.

Edited by DJ Eco

Rangers 1st loss in a while last night. Aside from St. Louis and Washington a couple weeks ago, it was a rare game against a pretty good team, compared to their last month of bottom-feeding opposition.

For sure, they're a good team firing on all cylinders, but glancing at their season schedule, it's pretty crazy how top-heavy their schedule is from February to April vs. how much easier their October to mid-December schedule is. A huge chunk of their first half of the season has been against non-playoff (or at least they're not projected to make the playoffs) teams, and vice versa on those last 3 months. Should be an interesting second half to really see what they're made of.

I thought maybe my bias was behind how I view the Rangers right now, but ESPN has them as the 3rd easiest strength-of-schedule in the East (behind Washington and Philly), if you believe in that sort of thing. I had similar feelings about Capitals' start re: their schedule, but the rest of the season balances out a bit more evenly; it's not as top-heavy/top-light as the Rangers.

Eh. You play who's on your schedule. It's like Parcells says about your record. During the 9-game win streak, they were opportunistic cashing in on team's mistakes. NYR lead league in shooting percentage at almost 11.0 percent. They also aren't too good on Corsi/possession. There's room for improvement. Particularly from Stepan and Kreider. Neither of who have been consistent. McDonagh and Girardi have picked it up.

Regarding the Bolts, even minus 2/3 of the Triplets, Callahan, Paquette, Drouin, they still boast a great tandem in Hedman-Stralman. Also have checkers like Boyle who mixed it up with Hayes. And gritty guys like J.T. Brown. They know how to play them. Limit the stretch pass and stand up at the blue line. That makes it more difficult for their transition. Particularly Zuccarello. Funny aspect is it was winnable. Kreider got in for a break and had a penalty shot but shot it into Bishop. Moore tied it on a rare Stralman miscue. And they had a power play in the final 80 seconds. But just terrible execution from Stepan forcing a pass which handcuffed McDonagh. Brown made the perfect dish across to Filppula and bang. Game. Set. Match.

Rangers with 2 costly turnovers. Both in net. Yandle to Killorn who beat Hank from way out. Maybe he has his number. That's what they've been doing so far. Capitalizing on mistakes. Their next one is Saturday night at Florida. I bet their speed gives them problems. Luongo vs Lundqvist too. 

Eh. You play who's on your schedule. It's like Parcells says about your record. During the 9-game win streak, they were opportunistic cashing in on team's mistakes. NYR lead league in shooting percentage at almost 11.0 percent. They also aren't too good on Corsi/possession. There's room for improvement. Particularly from Stepan and Kreider. Neither of who have been consistent. McDonagh and Girardi have picked it up.

Regarding the Bolts, even minus 2/3 of the Triplets, Callahan, Paquette, Drouin, they still boast a great tandem in Hedman-Stralman. Also have checkers like Boyle who mixed it up with Hayes. And gritty guys like J.T. Brown. They know how to play them. Limit the stretch pass and stand up at the blue line. That makes it more difficult for their transition. Particularly Zuccarello. Funny aspect is it was winnable. Kreider got in for a break and had a penalty shot but shot it into Bishop. Moore tied it on a rare Stralman miscue. And they had a power play in the final 80 seconds. But just terrible execution from Stepan forcing a pass which handcuffed McDonagh. Brown made the perfect dish across to Filppula and bang. Game. Set. Match.

Rangers with 2 costly turnovers. Both in net. Yandle to Killorn who beat Hank from way out. Maybe he has his number. That's what they've been doing so far. Capitalizing on mistakes. Their next one is Saturday night at Florida. I bet their speed gives them problems. Luongo vs Lundqvist too. 

The Rangers strategy when it comes to offense is to make the extra pass(es) to set up for a higher percentage shot.  They do not simply fire at will on goal.  So, with that in mind, they are going to have less shots and shots attempted which will lower their Corsi.  As for possession, you have to look at that with a grain of salt.  They have trailed for only ~130 minutes this season, have led for over 300 minutes and more than 150 they have led by 2 or more.  While, they have only trailed by 2 or more for about 10 minutes.  Teams possession numbers tend to tank when they are up by 2 or more and tend to sky rocket when they are trailing by 2 or more.  So, put that all together, and it is not a surprise their possession numbers are not so hot.

The Rangers strategy when it comes to offense is to make the extra pass(es) to set up for a higher percentage shot.  They do not simply fire at will on goal.  So, with that in mind, they are going to have less shots and shots attempted which will lower their Corsi.  As for possession, you have to look at that with a grain of salt.  They have trailed for only ~130 minutes this season, have led for over 300 minutes and more than 150 they have led by 2 or more.  While, they have only trailed by 2 or more for about 10 minutes.  Teams possession numbers tend to tank when they are up by 2 or more and tend to sky rocket when they are trailing by 2 or more.  So, put that all together, and it is not a surprise their possession numbers are not so hot.

You understand the game. Unlike the possession nuts. While to a certain extend I understand that they'll need to be a more consistent forechecking team to have ultimate success next Spring, it's the regular season. Their experience definitely helps winning these type of games. They remain the best team when leading after 2 periods. A big part of that is Hank. But also there are enough proven performers and leadership to get it done. As a team, they are very unselfish and look for the extra pass. It can be frustrating at times. Especially on the power play. Obviously, being able to score at a high rate due to quality chances created by their skill has helped them in the win column. 

Last night, they struggled and got exposed against a quality opponent with superb speed, skill and aggressive forecheck. They were due for one of those. It should help in the long run. I'm just looking for more out of Kreider and Stepan. Both can perform at a more consistent level. Particularly CK who has disappointed so far with 3 goals in 22 games.