Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

I am really really REALLY hoping the Devils win today for the simple fact that I don't want to see or hear that segment of fans who are still bitter at our current management/ownership over what they see as us pushing Lou out.

Yeah, you know the loon brigade will be out if we lose tonight lol. It won't be easy either, Toronto has been playing a little better lately. They knocked off the Blues in St. Louis the other night.

I am really really REALLY hoping the Devils win today for the simple fact that I don't want to see or hear that segment of fans who are still bitter at our current management/ownership over what they see as us pushing Lou out.

I can understand people who are still loyal to Lou but how anyone can dislike what Shero has done so far is beyond me. This team is playing way better than anyone else could have predicted.

I can understand people who are still loyal to Lou but how anyone can dislike what Shero has done so far is beyond me. This team is playing way better than anyone else could have predicted.

Believe me they are out there.  They believe that Lou should have managed this team until he died in his office chair.  They really cannot let go of Lou.

Thankfully that group has gotten smaller and quieter, but I think it will come back again if Toronto wins tonight.

In fairness, would you still say this if this season's results were different?  Not implying that you wouldn't have...just asking.  I ask because I would be fine with what Shero has done even if the team wasn't off to such a surprising start...I liked his early moves, but still expected a tough season.  I think bringing in Palmieri was a nice move, and I liked that he moved on from some of the stalwarts.  And I think moving on from the prior regime was a 100% necessity...one can definitely appreciate Lou but feel like it was absolutely time to move on.  But this team is still largely representative of Lou's tenure.   

Anyway, probably only a matter of time before Tri yells at us for not posting stuff relevant to "around the league" (and he really wouldn't be off-base if he did), so no more on this from me. 

In fairness, would you still say this if this season's results were different?  Not implying that you wouldn't have...just asking.  I ask because I would be fine with what Shero has done even if the team wasn't off to such a surprising start...I liked his early moves, but still expected a tough season.  I think bringing in Palmieri was a nice move, and I liked that he moved on from some of the stalwarts.  And I think moving on from the prior regime was a 100% necessity...one can definitely appreciate Lou but feel like it was absolutely time to move on.  But this team is still largely representative of Lou's tenure.   

Anyway, probably only a matter of time before Tri yells at us for not posting stuff relevant to "around the league" (and he really wouldn't be off-base if he did), so no more on this from me.

Honestly I was just hoping for a new style and system and that's exactly what we got. I actually expected us to be a lot worse before the season started but I was more excited to watch this team than most of the teams put together in the past few years. So really I might not be the best person to ask because I just wanted change.

Believe me they are out there. They believe that Lou should have managed this team until he died in his office chair. They really cannot let go of Lou.

Thankfully that group has gotten smaller and quieter, but I think it will come back again if Toronto wins tonight.

I was as a big a Lou supporter as anyone when he was here, but even I knew it was time for him to go a year or so before he did.

Shero's changes and philosophy are exactly what this organization needed. It was long over due for our team to enter the 21st century. I'm not sure how anyone can still prefer how things were the last few years before Shero.

So indications are that when expansion comes, the expansion draft is going to be based on salary, that is, you have to expose a certain amount of salary.  Since expansion won't come until at least after next season, I wonder if teams that have the cap space will wildly overpay some marginal players on say two or three year deals with the aim of exposing them to the expansion draft.  There's a gamble of course that expansion doesn't actually happen or your guy doesn't get picked and you're stuck with some crappy deals.  I suppose another idea would be to stock up on players on LTIR, but I imagine the league would close that loophole. 

EDIT:  Thinking through it, I"m not sure if my idea to protect better players on your roster by signing marginal players to inflated deals works, or if it has the opposite effect. 

Edited by Daniel

I was as a big a Lou supporter as anyone when he was here, but even I knew it was time for him to go a year or so before he did.

Shero's changes and philosophy are exactly what this organization needed. It was long over due for our team to enter the 21st century. I'm not sure how anyone can still prefer how things were the last few years before Shero.

I still am a Lou supporter and believe he should have never been let go.  It's just not relevant discussion because there is no reason to beat a dead horse.  That is my disclaimer for people that say that Shero's changes are so different than what Lou did.  We are still an extremely low event team with the fewest shots in the league.  It is way too early to tell whether Shero has done anything really and that is why I try not to muddle up my love for Lou with my learning to love what Shero is doing.  I can't really applaud anything Shero has done because I sincerely doubt Stempniak is a landmark acquisition for the club.  That's not knocking him, it's just saying he's building his team the way he wants and I just have to see how he does it.  Thirty games (even a couple years) are hardly something to use to anoint a GM a success or failure.

I still am a Lou supporter and believe he should have never been let go. It's just not relevant discussion because there is no reason to beat a dead horse. That is my disclaimer for people that say that Shero's changes are so different than what Lou did. We are still an extremely low event team with the fewest shots in the league. It is way too early to tell whether Shero has done anything really and that is why I try not to muddle up my love for Lou with my learning to love what Shero is doing. I can't really applaud anything Shero has done because I sincerely doubt Stempniak is a landmark acquisition for the club. That's not knocking him, it's just saying he's building his team the way he wants and I just have to see how he does it. Thirty games (even a couple years) are hardly something to use to anoint a GM a success or failure.

Can you applaud him for Palmieri? Because if not, then you're just letting yourself be blinded by an agenda.

Can you applaud him for Palmieri? Because if not, then you're just letting yourself be blinded by an agenda.

My "agenda" is not knocking Shero or anyone, just that it's premature to claim it a success or failure. What's your agenda against Lou?

Edited by themightyall

My "agenda" is not knocking Shero or anyone, just that it's premature to claim it a success or failure. What's your agenda against Lou?

I have none, I love Lou to death for everything he did for this franchise, and there should be a statue of him built one day as well. But I can also admit it was time to move on, and so far, I'm very pleased by what Shero and the new coaching staff have done. Hopefully they will continue to build on the culture Lou instilled here, because Lou made this franchise synonymous with winning.

Edmonton has put Mark Fayne on waivers, per Bob McKenzie.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/674637611076558849

Wow... If Edmonton- who is desperate for d-men- is putting you on waivers, it must be really bad. Fayne was pretty solid for the most part here... I'm surprised his game has seemingly fallen off to this extent.

No, Edmonton is just really bad at player evaluation. Fayne hasn't played that great in Edmonton but he doesn't belong on waivers, they've just marginalized him from day 1 of the new regime.

This is also true, it IS Edmonton we're talking about, and Edmonton is incredibly stupid. I know Fayne is overpaid, but I'd be surprised if someone didn't claim him.