Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

The Lightning can't bend over backwards for Stamkos.  He's a big time scorer but that's all he does.  He's not worth $11M+ on a long contract.

Stamkos' true colors are now readily apparent, and it's obvious winning isn't a priority for him. With all the guys that are gonna have to get paid down there (Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat), he could sign a fair deal that could allow enough cap room to try and keep the band together, but he's obviously decided that he wants to go home to be the highest paid player in the biggest hockey market. He's entitled to do exactly that if he wants, but I've lost some respect for him myself.

MD2020, sure, in fan utopia, guys like Stamkos would be content with a good situation and maybe think about sticking around and trying to see if he can win where he was drafted...but some things that are fair to remember:

Drafted players don't get to pick their destinations (and with good reason, as a guy like Stamkos probably doesn't choose a bottomed-out team that needed him, like the Lightning did), so when they get their chance to have a say in where they'll play, I can't kill them for exploring that.  And for all the big-money, this-guy-will-finish-his-career-as-a-{insert team} contracts that are doled out and celebrated during lovefest press conferences, we see that a good chunk of those deals (which have a way of becoming albatrosses very quickly) wind up being moved at least once, even with NTCs worked into these signings.   

It's not like Stamkos hasn't already given the Lightning a significant chunk of his career already...524 games and is currently in his 8th season with them.  And as we see in all sports, today's loser can become tomorrow's winner, and vice-versa...just because he may leave the Lightning for a team like the Maple Leafs doesn't mean winning isn't a priority for him (and GMs of struggling teams often do a good job selling Stamkos-types on being the first piece to turn a team around, that though it may not happen overnight, the plan is to build a winner as quickly as possible).

Let's face it, the guys who spend all (or the vast majority) of their careers with one team without ever really exploring other opportunities is a dying breed...and the reason for that isn't because guys are necessarily not as loyal as before...it's because they have opportunities that their predecessors rarely did.  I definitely get the "Stamkos should try to help the Lightning out by not asking for the moon, in an attempt to help his current team out", but when I factor in everything else, I can't kill Stamkos too much if he chooses another path.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Also this afternoon Doug Maclean called Americans "morons" on Hockey Central because he said people in the States are unfamiliar with where Ottawa is. He went on and on about what the schools teach and how could people not know that. He should know that his American audience are die-hard hockey fans and definitely know where Ottawa is, and to not generalize about an entire nation of people (which is what Darren Millard said to him). And why is it cute and quirky when Ken Daneyko admits he didn't know where New Jersey was before he got drafted, but when Americans don't know where Ottawa is, everyone here is an idiot? Hockey Central is one of my favorite shows, and if I'm home at noon or 4 I stop what I'm doing to watch it, but fvck you Doug Maclean. You're in the media because you couldn't make it behind the bench or in the front office, you washed up piece of trash. 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MD2020, sure, in fan utopia, guys like Stamkos would be content with a good situation and maybe think about sticking around and trying to see if he can win where he was drafted...but some things that are fair to remember:

Drafted players don't get to pick their destinations (and with good reason, as a guy like Stamkos probably doesn't choose a bottomed-out team that needed him, like the Lightning did), so when they get their chance to have a say in where they'll play, I can't kill them for exploring that.  And for all the big-money, this-guy-will-finish-his-career-as-a-{insert team} contracts that are doled out and celebrated during lovefest press conferences, we see that a good chunk of those deals (which have a way of becoming albatrosses very quickly) wind up being moved at least once, even with NTCs worked into these signings.   

It's not like Stamkos hasn't already given the Lightning a significant chunk of his career already...524 games and is currently in his 8th season with them.  And as we see in all sports, today's loser can become tomorrow's winner, and vice-versa...just because he may leave the Lightning for a team like the Maple Leafs doesn't mean winning isn't a priority for him (and GMs of struggling teams often do a good job selling Stamkos-types on being the first piece to turn a team around, that though it may not happen overnight, the plan is to build a winner as quickly as possible).

Let's face it, the guys who spend all (or the vast majority) of their careers with one team without ever really exploring other opportunities is a dying breed...and the reason for that isn't because guys are necessarily not as loyal as before...it's because they have opportunities that their predecessors rarely did.  I definitely get the "Stamkos should try to help the Lightning out by not asking for the moon, in an attempt to help his current team out", but when I factor in everything else, I can't kill Stamkos too much if he chooses another path.

While i get what youre saying. Consider this too, an organization pick you to turn the franchise around. They make moves, invest in you and help you grow for years. They make you captain and theyve been there for you for 8 years. Then you strap them in a way that theyll lose you for nothing, youre litterally fvckin them over.

If he really care and want to play home and get all the money in the world. Accept a tradeto a contender at least so that the team can get something in return and you may have a run at a cup before joining the leafs next summer. Whats wrong with that? Basically a win win for everyone.

8 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Also this afternoon Doug Maclean called Americans "morons" on Hockey Central because he said people in the States are unfamiliar with where Ottawa is. He went on and on about what the schools teach and how could people not know that. He should know that his American audience are die-hard hockey fans and definitely know where Ottawa is, and to not generalize about an entire nation of people (which is what Darren Millard said to him). And why is it cute and quirky when Ken Daneyko admits he didn't know where New Jersey was before he got drafted, but when Americans don't know where Ottawa is, everyone here is an idiot? Hockey Central is one of my favorite shows, and if I'm home at noon or 4 I stop what I'm doing to watch it, but fvck you Doug Maclean. You're in the media because you couldn't make it behind the bench or in the front office, you washed up piece of trash. 

Doug Maclean is one of the worst analysts around. He's the biggest reason why I don't listen to Hockey Central.

Also, here's something to consider with Stamkos: there's no state income tax in Florida. In Canada, they tax you for walking out your front door in the morning... I'm sure that's been considered by he and his agent, but I guess Toronto's likely offer will be for so much more than Tampa's, it probably won't matter.

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Stamkos' true colors are now readily apparent, and it's obvious winning isn't a priority for him. With all the guys that are gonna have to get paid down there (Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat), he could sign a fair deal that could allow enough cap room to try and keep the band together, but he's obviously decided that he wants to go home to be the highest paid player in the biggest hockey market. He's entitled to do exactly that if he wants, but I've lost some respect for him myself.

Same. This is miles worse than the Parise situation, and we all know how the Parise situation left our fanbase feeling. Stamkos can be pretty sure about winning a Cup or two in the next 5-6 years if he stays in Tampa on a fair (and still lucrative) deal. Why he's throwing that away (publicly) is beyond me; at the very least, just dismiss any and all talk about your contract negotiations and go about your business with your agent in the offseason, especially when you're not really playing all that well. Parise at least had the decency to do that.

Same. This is miles worse than the Parise situation, and we all know how the Parise situation left our fanbase feeling. Stamkos can be pretty sure about winning a Cup or two in the next 5-6 years if he stays in Tampa on a fair (and still lucrative) deal. Why he's throwing that away (publicly) is beyond me; at the very least, just dismiss any and all talk about your contract negotiations and go about your business with your agent in the offseason, especially when you're not really playing all that well. Parise at least had the decency to do that.

Yeah that's another thing- he's exacerbating the problem by discussing it and causing a major distraction for his teammates. Tampa is currently sitting outside the playoffs... I'd imagine this situation is contributing to that. This is their captain and franchise player... I mean, that's a major distraction.

17 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

The worst is that Stamkos has a no-movement claus. So Yzerman can't even decide to trade him to save his ass a bit.

On top of that, whats the point of keeping him? Are they really gonna go on a run with this group who clearly knows by now that their captain is as good as gone? Always great to have a black cloud like that floating over a dressing room.

Edited by SterioDesign

Stamkos is currently having the worst season of his career besides his rookie year, if I'm Tampa I try to see what I can get for him at the deadline.  He's not going to be worth whatever contract he gets - he has one skill, scoring lots and lots of goals, and that skill appears to be on the wane since his injury.  He's not scoring 60 goals in a season ever again.   Tampa has so many other players that need big contracts in the near future plus they are quite a young team - they can afford to punt this season if it gets them a good return on Stamkos.

It shouldn't be a distraction at all to the players on the Lightning.  What are they supposed to do about it? It's the business of hockey.  

24 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It shouldn't be a distraction at all to the players on the Lightning.  What are they supposed to do about it? It's the business of hockey.  

This...they're all big boys, and for a star player to have an uncertain future in his potentially final season with his team isn't unheard of.  We see that in all leagues.   

51 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The worst is that Stamkos has a no-movement claus. So Yzerman can't even decide to trade him to save his ass a bit.

On top of that, whats the point of keeping him? Are they really gonna go on a run with this group who clearly knows by now that their captain is as good as gone? Always great to have a black cloud like that floating over a dressing room.

The problem is that GMs sign these guys to NTC/NMC contracts and almost assume that, when they decide it's time to deal these players, that the player will automatically waive the NTC/NMC when asked.  Sure, it'd be nice if the player is willing to do that, but if he doesn't, it's not his fault for exercising a right that was given to him by the team that signed him.     

All 'big boys' or not, these guys are human and I guarantee it's an unwanted distraction. When the captain and franchise player isn't all in, it's a distraction. Period, end of story. Don't want it to be a distraction? Don't go 'liking' articles on Twitter that say you should sign with the Leafs.

the day we'll figure out a way to put numbers on feelings, chemistry and intangibles, maybe you'll finally get it Tri. These guys are NOT robots.

Saying you can just brush off and not be affected that your captain or linemate or wtv doesn't want to be there in a locker room is ridiculous and only someone who never played sports could say that.

Edited by SterioDesign

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All 'big boys' or not, these guys are human and I guarantee it's an unwanted distraction. When the captain and franchise player isn't all in, it's a distraction. Period, end of story. Don't want it to be a distraction? Don't go 'liking' articles on Twitter that say you should sign with the Leafs.

Okay, because you say so, it's a distraction.  Gotcha.  Where did they find out about Stamkos 'liking' this article?  Shouldn't be anywhere unless someone in the media told them.  And of course it's the media who love to push the 'distraction' narrative about everything because it demonstrates their own power to themselves.

Okay, because you say so, it's a distraction.  Gotcha.  Where did they find out about Stamkos 'liking' this article?  Shouldn't be anywhere unless someone in the media told them.  And of course it's the media who love to push the 'distraction' narrative about everything because it demonstrates their own power to themselves.

Look, I know I'm right about this, and I know that you're wrong, so whatever. Keep living in your numbers world where people have no emotions and act like mindless drones. You have no clue what you're talking about to say it's not a distraction, and I can do without you're snide, know it all attitude.

35 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

While everyone is saying his explanation is absurd, there are actually a lot of tweets that I accidentally "like" when I'm scrolling down my twitter feed.

15 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's not so much about what he did on Twitter, but it has to be pretty clear to the rest of the team at this point that he has no intention of staying with Tampa beyond this year.  Pros or not, that has to be on the minds of his teammates. 

While everyone is saying his explanation is absurd, there are actually a lot of tweets that I accidentally "like" when I'm scrolling down my twitter feed.

It's not so much about what he did on Twitter, but it has to be pretty clear to the rest of the team at this point that he has no intention of staying with Tampa beyond this year.  Pros or not, that has to be on the minds of his teammates. 

Why has it happened twice then? Pretty coincidental if you ask me...

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Look, I know I'm right about this, and I know that you're wrong, so whatever. Keep living in your numbers world where people have no emotions and act like mindless drones. You have no clue what you're talking about to say it's not a distraction, and I can do without you're snide, know it all attitude.

My snide know it all attitude?  You're the one who said this:  " All 'big boys' or not, these guys are human and I guarantee it's an unwanted distraction. When the captain and franchise player isn't all in, it's a distraction. Period, end of story."  You guarantee it's a distraction, and now you 'know I'm wrong'.  But I'm the know it all.  I never said I guarantee it's not a distraction.  Maybe it is.  It shouldn't be though, because these guys have their own performance and their own careers to worry about.  What I do guarantee is that the media loves to talk about distractions because it shows the media's importance.  "Are we distracting them?  Boy I hope we are!!"

My snide know it all attitude?  You're the one who said this:  " All 'big boys' or not, these guys are human and I guarantee it's an unwanted distraction. When the captain and franchise player isn't all in, it's a distraction. Period, end of story."  You guarantee it's a distraction, and now you 'know I'm wrong'.  But I'm the know it all.  I never said I guarantee it's not a distraction.  Maybe it is.  It shouldn't be though, because these guys have their own performance and their own careers to worry about.  What I do guarantee is that the media loves to talk about distractions because it shows the media's importance.  "Are we distracting them?  Boy I hope we are!!"

It's going to be though. Do you honestly think these guys wanna be asked questions every day about this? Because that's what's gonna happen from now until April unless he resigns or gets moved. It becomes annoying and repetitive, and it becomes a distraction. They can try and block it out as best they can, but as I said, they are still human. We'll see how they continue to play. Tampa is a very good team that is underachieving right now. If they continue to underachieve while staying relatively healthy, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Stamkos situation is part of the reason why.

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You're 100% right here. It's so obvious who never played sports on this forum

You're 100% right here. It's so obvious who never played sports on this forum

Obviously none of us have played hockey at that level, but I played for a long time and chemistry and intangibles really do mean something on a team. Something like this with such an important player can really sabotage a season. But it wouldn't be nearly as bad if Stamkos himself wasn't playing into it. He's CREATING a distraction by liking the articles on Twitter, and answering questions about his future. He should've just flat-out refused to talk about it at all from the beginning. You're supposed to be the leader of your team. So shut the fvck up and lead and worry about next year in July.

MD2020...I think like with many things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Of course there's no guarantee that Stamkos' situation isn't and won't become a distraction.  But I do think that the media is quick to blow things up to be more than they are...more than ever, they're all on the prowl for something to report.  

I do think players are more resilient than they're given credit for...that's what I meant by the "big boys" reference.