Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Most coaches at the professional level are probably a$$holes, at least when they're on the job. 

In this case, it's Commodore that really comes off looking like a clown. It wasn't like he was Nick Lidstrom or anything like that.  The guy was a decent NHL defensemen for a certain period of time and probably cleared something like $25 million during the course of his career for his troubles.  A coach who has an impressive track record wasn't nice to you.  Boo hoo.   

Also, the guy was signed to a one-year deal at $1 million.  Not exactly the kind of contract that guarantees you much of anything...and on top of that, when you've been in the league that long and you think that might be the best you can do, kind of says a lot as to what GMs around the league think of your current value.  Regardless of what one thinks about Babcock, Commodore comes off as being a little entitled and thinking he was way better than he really was...that contract he signed with Columbus probably went a long way towards cementing that view of himself. 

I remember back when Commodore was a Rookie in the 00-01 season.  He was basically a call-up from what I remember due to injuries.  He was very steady and solid, but nothing flashy.  I remember in one of his first home games they interviews his parents who were sitting in the crowd in the lower level of CAA.  He seemed to be quiet and soft-spoken, but most Rookies are when they break into the league.  They are just happy to be there.

I had to look up the trade where we sent him to Anaheim.  Completely forgot he was part of the package that included Sykora and JF Damphousse for Friesen and Tverdovsky.

Commodore seems bitter and I wonder if in 10 years he will look back and think/say the same things.  It seems to me that this stems from him trying to blame his failures on someone else when it was him who failed.  I do not remember Columbus being full of depth at D at the time he was demoted and eventually released, so this goes beyond Babcock (who I still think is an overrated as hell coach but that's just my opinion).

Edited by DevsMan84

On 3/10/2016 at 6:29 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well... he's fine so i can now peacefully say it was an hilarious injury. And that's not even biased cause i don't like the player or the team. Buddy ran his head in his player's ass and hurt himself doing it. It's funny no matter what. 

There is nothing "hilarious" about a injury. He was down for a while. It could've been much worse. I have seen the arguments already in this thread. I don't quite understand your stance. Moving on.

1 minute ago, GoArmySports said:

They sell blue Devils hats?

Makes you wonder if it was a Duke Blue Devils hat.  Who knows if the perp even knows anything about hockey.  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Makes you wonder if it was a Duke Blue Devils hat.  Who knows if the perp even knows anything about hockey.  

Someone posted in a couple of the Devils FB groups a picture of the suspect wearing said blue Devils hat (looks like from the suspect's FB profile or some social media profile).  It was an NJ Devils hat that was all blue (they do exist as I have seen them).  These hats target a particular audience thus why they are made.

Probably something like this:

http://www.craniumfitteds.com/New-Jersey-Devils-Royal-Yellow-Green-Hat-With-Gray-Under-Visor-Custom-New-ERa-Hat-59Fifty.html?gclid=CODQjuqVw8sCFUk6gQod9jAK5w

Bleech...no wonder I wasn't aware of their existence.  Reminds me of around 10-12 years ago or so (might've been even longer than that), when some people were wearing red Yankees jerseys (I remember Francesa going on a rant about those).  Just stick with the actual colors associated with the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably something like this:

http://www.craniumfitteds.com/New-Jersey-Devils-Royal-Yellow-Green-Hat-With-Gray-Under-Visor-Custom-New-ERa-Hat-59Fifty.html?gclid=CODQjuqVw8sCFUk6gQod9jAK5w

Bleech...no wonder I wasn't aware of their existence.  Reminds me of around 10-12 years ago or so (might've been even longer than that), when some people were wearing red Yankees jerseys (I remember Francesa going on a rant about those).  Just stick with the actual colors associated with the franchise. 

I know a lot of people don't like Phil Mushnick because of his cranky schmuck schtick but if there are 2 things I agree with him on they are 1) Doc is the greatest announcer ever and 2) Teams selling off-color merchandise is silly.

He has written countless articles blasting teams who sell stuff like red NY Yankees hats and the whole black third jersey movement.  He actually does point out why companies and teams agree to sell this stuff.  They target a certain audience that wants these.  I think you can all read between the lines when I say for stuff like this, ever wonder why the most common off-team color they sell this stuff in happens to be either blue or red?

Mushnick also once referenced an article explaining why a lot of college football teams like Crimson Tide and Scarlett Knights are introducing black alternate jerseys.  A bunch of anonymous coaches and AD's indicated that they have had issues recruiting talent because the recruits were worried about wearing a certain color uniform as it went against the color of their "friends."  Therefore they use black jerseys to entice recruits who would otherwise be reluctant to wear those colors to now be alright with playing for them.  Notice how most of the colleges who have introduced black jerseys tend to normally have either red or blue as their main color.

On 3/15/2016 at 2:42 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I know a lot of people don't like Phil Mushnick because of his cranky schmuck schtick but if there are 2 things I agree with him on they are 1) Doc is the greatest announcer ever and 2) Teams selling off-color merchandise is silly.

I think the teams/league signs off on paid usage of their logos, and what specialty hat companies do with it is up to them. I live near ECapCity and they had all kinds of crazy custom Devils hats that you couldn't find anywhere else. I doubt they need to get them approved by the team, it's just kind of a 3rd party thing.

14 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I think the teams/league signs off on paid usage of their logos, and what specialty hat companies do with it is up to them. I live near ECapCity and they had all kinds of crazy custom Devils hats that you couldn't find anywhere else. I doubt they need to get them approved by the team, it's just kind of a 3rd party thing.

But ever notice what the two most popular colors are for hats like Yankees and Devils as well as other teams?

Devils have some control over the use of their logo.  If they see something they don't like they can easily kill it off.  They have done that before in the past with Lou.

Sorry to switch up the subject, but why does the department of player safety allow "apparent Injury" or "player return" to be considered when assessing a suspension? It is stupid that just because the player isn't seemingly hurt in the short term, that the action against him was somehow less suspendable. It really irks me. 

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bahahahaha the Queen just had a goal go in off of his head. And then he got pulled. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I love seeing him hung out to dry......tell me again what it is he's done ?     His best days are now behind him,just like the puck is most nights.

• Like 1

Well, it doesn't do much to make up for his sub-par season within the bigger picture of overall decline, but Parise had a hat trick in the first period of tonight's Wild game vs. the Flames.

His third hat trick of the season. 40% of his goals in three games, craziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/25/2016 at 2:00 AM, Derek21 said:

Food for thought. NHL replay system needs a reboot. I did a post on both No Goals and the current system.

Bruins get shaft on No Goal

It definitely needs to be looked at.  You CANNOT have a replay system and still get the calls wrong.  That is fvcked up beyond belief.  It was discussed elsewhere on the board, but it has been brought up that it can slow the game down and coaches often use it as a "timeout with benefits".  I remember reading a possible solution to it, but I can't remember what it was and who suggested it atm. 

Edited by RizzMB30

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Stralman is a beast.  The best thing about him is that Tampa poached him from NYR and who got him from us.  NYR desperately needs him, especially in a year or two from now.  

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

It definitely needs to be looked at.  You CANNOT have a replay system and still get the calls wrong.  That is fvcked up beyond belief.  It was discussed elsewhere on the board, but it has been brought up that it can slow the game down and coaches often use it as a "timeout with benefits".  I remember reading a possible solution to it, but I can't remember what it was and who suggested it atm. 

It needs to be scrapped entirely. It slows things down way too much. And challenging goalie interference and offsides is idiotic. Why do you want to give refs a judgement call to have the opportunity to take goals off the board. If a goalie is bowled over and a goal is scored and no call...tough beans it's a goal. If it's waived off right away...no goal. I don't want to see long replays of 50/50 situations where somebody is skating through the crease and may have been nudged and then may clip the goalies stick etc etc. That takes forever.

If an offsides is missed and it leads to a goal...tough. Plenty of penalties are missed that lead to goals.S

Stop slowing and over legislating the game down.