Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

still an amazing season for Holtby. I really hope Brodeur keeps the record but it's fair to bring up that Holtby had 66 starts this year and Brodeur had 78 that year.

While someone could look at it saying well he could have beat him if he played more game... it's fvcking impressive from Marty to be able to play 78 games in a season and finish with a .922 save %. 

Further thoughts:

First, April 9th was certainly a day for hitting those milestones:

Ovi pulled off three goals to hit 50 on the season.

Tarasenko scored his 40th.

Panarin, Henrique, Palmieri, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty all scored their 30th goal, making 10 players in the league this year who scored exactly 30 goals.

Huberdeau, Silfverberg, Jordan Staal, Parenteau, and Chimera all scored their 20th goal, making 17 players in the league this year who scored exactly 20 goals.

Two players scored their 300th goal (Spezza, Hartnell) 

The rookies were scoring like mad to finish the season:

With a three point night, Panarin probably locked up the Calder Trophy for himself. He finishes the season with 77 points (30G, 47A), which is 21 more points  than the next closest rookie (Eichel). All the top rookies finished hot: Eichel put up 6 points (1G, 5A) in his final five games, McDavid finished the season with 13 points (2G, 11A) in his final 11 games, and Gostisbehere had 6 points (6A) in his last 9 games (and has one more game), but Panarin put up a whopping 13 points (5, 8A) in his final give games. It's good to be a Blackhawk folks.

Here are the top scoring (qualifying) rookies in order of points per game played:

Connor McDavid: 1.09 P/GP (48 points/44 games) (1.09 P/GP is 3rd highest in the league overall behind Kane and Benn).

Artemi Panarin: .96 P/GP (77 points/80 games)

Shayne Gostisbehere: .71 P/GP (45 points/63 games + one more game remaining)

Jack Eichel: .69 P/GP (56 points/81 games)

Max Domi: .64 P/GP (52 points/81 games)

Edited by Neb00rs

I did a long post on the playoff picture. Still two series undetermined in each conference that go to the last day. Rangers await Flyers/Islanders result. Kings and Sharks await Ducks/Caps result. Plus thoughts on Award races.

Islanders will determine Rangers' first round, Kane headlines Hart

Islanders taking advantage of the new playoff format by basically not dressing anyone. And why would they? They need to just scrap the whole format. It should be 1-8. And that also would mean Islanders and Rangers in the first round.

1 hour ago, Derek21 said:

Islanders taking advantage of the new playoff format by basically not dressing anyone. And why would they? They need to just scrap the whole format. It should be 1-8. And that also would mean Islanders and Rangers in the first round.

Absolutely agree, it's ridiculous that the Blues are playing Chicago in the first round. This format hurts teams that do well during the regular season. There was nothing wrong with the 1 to 8 format besides guaranteeing division winners a top 3 spot. Should have just been winning your division gets you into the playoffs but it seeds you 8th if that's where you finished overall in the conference. 

• Like 1

Pitt helped us this week by beating Washington in OT and prevented Holtby from being able to beat Marty, now, for the third straight year, we collectively look their way and hope they finally knock off the Rangers in the post season.

Hopefully a now "happy" Phil Kessel will help their offense make up for Fleury's typical post season choke, if/when he returns.

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree, it's ridiculous that the Blues are playing Chicago in the first round. This format hurts teams that do well during the regular season. There was nothing wrong with the 1 to 8 format besides guaranteeing division winners a top 3 spot. Should have just been winning your division gets you into the playoffs but it seeds you 8th if that's where you finished overall in the conference. 

Exactly, I am at my wits end after seeing what the Isles did with Greiss. I went off about it.

Islanders pull Greiss and intentionally tank for Panthers

15 hours ago, Derek21 said:

It looked like it was inevitable that it would be Rangers-Isles first round, for most of the season. And then boom, March rolls around and that all fell apart. Pretty disappointed, that would've been HUGE.

So this is quite interesting. MTL scored the EXACT same amount of goals this year than they did last year. 221 goals. So while im sure Therrien is gone for sure. He was certainly not the problem. He hasn't been better or worst than he was but the fans certainly needed someone to blame so... and from the games i watched the team was also not playing any worst than last year. The one and only difference for MTL was not having Price saving their ass almost every game. Last year they had 189 goals against, this year 236. So instead of winning 2-1 they were losing 3-2 this season.

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So this is quite interesting. MTL scored the EXACT same amount of goals this year than they did last year. 221 goals. So while im sure Therrien is gone for sure. He was certainly not the problem. He hasn't been better or worst than he was but the fans certainly needed someone to blame so... and from the games i watched the team was also not playing any worst than last year. The one and only difference for MTL was not having Price saving their ass almost every game. Last year they had 189 goals against, this year 236. So instead of winning 2-1 they were losing 3-2 this season.

I completely disagree.

That the only thing keeping them alive has to be Carey Price in net, is exactly a sign that their coaching and system is a problem. I really don't think they have a bad team set up. That's a bad indictment on the coach and his system, and unwillingness to change his system (away from a style of play that depends on Carey Price; in which case, Price wasn't here this season).

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Turns out the coach isn't going anywhere.

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

They aren't firing him. Bergevin loves Therrien. I don't know why. But the Price injury definitely was a factor. Montreal fans are split.

Cannot believe the Coyotes fired Don Maloney. He did a good job rebuilding the roster for the future. Arizona or Phoenix or whatever they want to be called should be ashamed.

2 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I completely disagree.

That the only thing keeping them alive has to be Carey Price in net, is exactly a sign that their coaching and system is a problem. I really don't think they have a bad team set up. That's a bad indictment on the coach and his system, and unwillingness to change his system (away from a style of play that depends on Carey Price; in which case, Price wasn't here this season).

well then we can happily agree to disagree. :cheers:

Edited by SterioDesign