Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

You know, I thought that as soon as I posted it. I think Vasilevski might be closer, though.

truth is goalies are sooooo hard to gauge, you can be on top of the world on year than struggle to be top 15 the next season

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

im hearing talks about Ben Bishop to Calgary are heating up between the 2 club... also heard they were after Fleury... for sure the Flames are pushing to get a legit #1 goalie

I thought Rutherford over valued the Flower. It would've solved his problems to trade him now,(Calgary)  before the draft. Now he might get stuck w/ him,( a la Luongo).  And lose him in expansion draft. Cest le vie

i guess Carolina and Detroit are working on a deal for Datsyuk. From what i could gather Detroit we're offering  Tomas Jurco and/or Teemu Pulkkinen. But they are apparently working on a better deal now.... 

There were rumors yesterday teams we're asking for Mantha or Afenasiou... If either of those guys are on the table, I'd hope Shero is involved.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

There were rumors yesterday teams we're asking for Mantha or Afenasiou... If either of those guys are on the table, I'd hope Shero is involved.

Athanasiou would be sick. We don't have enough Greeks in the NHL, it'd be nice to get one here. Never mind the absurd skill this dude has.

It's kinda cool seeing the big free agents sign in places like Florida and Arizona.    

That's a pretty good deal for the Panthers.  They basically replace the hole they were going to have with Campbell's departure with a much younger Campbell.     

One thing about Yandle:  the guy is an iron man.  Since the 2009-10 season, his regular season games totals:  82, 82, 82, 48 (lockout season), 82, 84 (due to differences in the number of games-played between the two teams he played for), and 82.  As all long-term deals go, that one could get ugly earlier than the Panthers would like...but at least they're getting a guy who's the anti-Cammalleri, as far as being able to actually stay on the damned ice goes. 

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now13 seconds ago

Many convinced #CBJ trading the No. 3 overall pick. It's all over the place across the league. Could Jarmo know something about the Finns?

If true, Davidson/Jarmo shouldn't try to get too cute with this pick.  Be grateful that you got lucky in the lottery and just take Puljujarvi and then fix your team and cap in other moves.   

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

It's kinda cool seeing the big free agents sign in places like Florida and Arizona.    

That's a pretty good deal for the Panthers.  They basically replace the hole they were going to have with Campbell's departure with a much younger Campbell.     

It's also good to see them committing and signging there before July 1st and not using the whole "i could have more on the market" leverage thing

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's also good to see them committing and signging there before July 1st and not using the whole "i could have more on the market" leverage thing

Sure, but in this particular case, I think this was Florida deciding that they REALLY wanted this player, and making him a "OK, you can see we're not fvcking around here" offer.  I think he and his agent knew, with the length of the deal being offered, that it wasn't going to get any better than this.  No one else could offer more years, and I doubt anyone else would've offered more money. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure, but in this particular case, I think this was Florida deciding that they REALLY wanted this player, and making him a "OK, you can see we're not fvcking around here" offer.  I think he and his agent knew, with the length of the deal being offered, that it wasn't going to get any better than this.  No one else could offer more years, and I doubt anyone else would've offered more money. 

yah i guess now trading for rights makes a little more sense cause you can offer that one extra year

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yah i guess now trading for rights makes a little more sense cause you can offer that one extra year

Florida didn't even have to go that far (they could've maxed out at eight years)...by offering seven, all any other team could do was match the length at best (Florida really would've been bidding against themselves by offering that 8th year off the bat)...who knows if someone else would've been willing to match the cash too.  It wouldn't surprise me if, once the offer was made, Florida simply said something in the realm of "The very best offer you're going to get is the one on the table.  You can waste your time and ours by trying to see if you can do better."

I'm guessing Florida probably had some inkling that Yandle wasn't dead-set against signing with them...but even if they didn't, it was only going to cost them a 6th-rounder.  I don't blame them for rolling the dice. 

Very aggressive by the Panthers...they decided that Yandle was their guy and were willing to go pretty damned far to ensure that they got him, and that he would never have any motivation to test the market. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

oops dp 

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

You cannot offer an extra year unless a player was on your roster as of the trade deadline.

Good to know.  So scratch everything I said about that 8th year.

Yandle was one of the pending UFA that I was hoping the Devils would target.  I wouldn't have minded that we overpay for him either.  However, that contract Florida gave him is nuts and naturally an overpayment (yes I know most UFA contracts are overpayment).

Team was missing that dimension that Zidlicky gave to their defense and it showed.  Very little offense generated from the blue line and unless something changes in a hurry it looks like Larsson is not going to be the offensive and PP quarterback beast we were hoping for when we drafted him.  Not saying he is not a good player (IMO him and Greene are our clear cut top 2 D-men), but was hoping he could have picked up some of the slack that was left when Zidlicky was traded.