Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

10 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I don't know ultimately whose call it was (maybe Shero's?) but I feel like the only organizational move that should've gone down was to replace Dan Bylsma and make smaller more calculated moves to improve their defense. We don't know if it was "the chicken or the egg", whether Shero's patience with Dan Bylsma is what got him fired, but yeah...

When you see the kinds of moves and calculated small gambles Shero had made in our organization within his first few months, it makes you wonder what the real rift was in Pittsburgh. When you see the moves Pittsburgh's made by Rutherford since his firing, it makes you wonder even more.

Pens fans' criticism of Shero was his giving away of prospects and draft picks in trades. So what does Rutherford do his first year on the job? More of the same:

1. Trade away his first 1st round pick (Kapanen), Scott Harrington, a conditional 1st and 3rd, for Phil Kessel and Tim Erixon, who they'd later waive.

2. Trade a 1st round pick for David Perron.

3. Trade away Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy.

4. Trade away Brandon Sutter for Nick Bonino and Clendening.

5. His trade for Patric Hornqvist is about the only thing he got sort of right.

• 2014-Jun-27 Traded from Nashville Predators with Nick Spaling to Pittsburgh Penguins for James Neal
  • Ian Cole: 
    • 2015-Mar-02 Traded from St. Louis Blues to Pittsburgh Penguins for Robert Bortuzzo and round 7 pick in the 2016 draft. 

Every one of these moves were made by Rutherford. Shero was fired on May 16, 2014. The Pens hired Rutherford June 6, 2014. 

51 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

I don't know how you can still believe this. Fleury has been the least of their problems. He was brilliant last year and has been so again. The real issue with the Pens is the lack of defense and forward depth. Those are the biggest problems plaguing them. Along with Crosby slowing down. They went from having Orpik, Niskanen and Martin to having Lovejoy again, Dumoulin, Cole, Scuderi with Letang and Maatta. Letang has struggled big time. Maatta just returned from injury. Cole has reverted. Scuderi is old. Lovejoy is slow. Dumoulin is the only one playing up to par. The expectation was that Pouliot would be a key part of the blueline. Instead, he is still with WBS after a disappointing camp. You can't subtract such key pieces off your back end and expect it to fall into place. 

That aside, there was the woeful trade of Sutter for Bonino, who's bombed so far. Cullen has been the only decent addition and he's also old. Fehr is a spare part. They lost Dupuis to retirement due to blood clots which is sad. They had a nice tribute for him during a stoppage tonight and a loud ovation. He teared up. Kunitz is basically finished. Kessel is stuck on 9 goals. They gave away one good prospect and picks hoping that band aid would work. Maybe it gets better under Sullivan. 

They fired Bylsma after our team came back to beat them in Rd. 2. Then made a poor hiring in Johnston, who had no clue. They then stuck with him too long when they should've fired him and promoted Hynes. Instead, they let Shero swoop in and get Hynes, who is the leading candidate for the Adams right now. Rutherford is a far worse GM than Shero. It was Shero who wisely pawned off J. Staal for Sutter. Shero wasn't great. He did make the trade for Iginla taking the same risk Sather took with MSL. Only they got eliminated and Iggy left. 

All these moves are in a desperate attempt to win one more Cup with 87, 71, 58, 29. Cap space has hindered them. But also development. Bennett was looking better but was injured tonight on a cheap hit by Oshie. One of those hits where they make no call. Threw him into boards. Then a Pen defends his honor and gets the only penalty. Brutal.

Fluery has been terrific this year.  He was good last year too.  He was horrific in the playoffs for years.  It takes a lot to overcome bad goaltending in the playoffs.  Yeah, the defense now isn't good and that's what where they need help, but they had a fine defense back in the days when Fleury was coughing up playoff series for them left and right.

Bonino for Sutter was a great trade that's not working out so far, Eric Fehr is much more than a spare part, and Pascal Dupuis was playing very poorly this year so his retirement is actually sadly a blessing for them.  David Perron not working out is a much bigger deal, he was a 20-25 goal man   And the biggest one is that Sidney Crosby is having by far the worst pro season of his career.  They need help on the back end for sure, but if Crosby's just going to be a regular 1st line center and not a superstar, they have no chance anyway.

12 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Every one of these moves were made by Rutherford. Shero was fired on May 16, 2014. The Pens hired Rutherford June 6, 2014. 

Yeah I know, my listing of those moves was to critique Rutherford's first year. If this were politics, Rutherford essentially expanded and doubled down on some of the "policies" (moves) that got Shero fired.

re:  Crosby, he's only shooting 7.2% on the season (about half his career shooting%, though his shooting%s have been lower in recent seasons).  This may indeed be an off-year for him, but I would expect the offensive numbers to improve a bit. 

He's one of those guys that I think of as being perpetually 23 or so, but he's already in his 11th NHL season and will be 29 by the start of next season.  Another career just flying right by. 

And obviously a lot can happen, and we've been through this before, but MAF still looks like he has a pretty good shot to get to 500 or so regular season wins.  He's already at 335 and just turned 31.  Also doesn't hurt his cause that he's been one of the best performers in the shootout since its inceptions (just under .750 in shootout save%).   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  Crosby, he's only shooting 7.2% on the season (about half his career shooting%, though his shooting%s have been lower in recent seasons).  This may indeed be an off-year for him, but I would expect the offensive numbers to improve a bit. 

He's one of those guys that I think of as being perpetually 23 or so, but he's already in his 11th NHL season and will be 29 by the start of next season.  Another career just flying right by. 

And obviously a lot can happen, and we've been through this before, but MAF still looks like he has a pretty good shot to get to 500 or so regular season wins.  He's already at 335 and just turned 31.  Also doesn't hurt his cause that he's been one of the best performers in the shootout since its inceptions (just under .750 in shootout save%).   

I just got a notification tht Bob McKenzie Retweeted that MAF is out with a concussion.

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Can we talk about Mike Hoffman? He's quietly having an incredible season. Same with Dylan Larkin. It could just be me, but I don't see them getting the press they deserve.

I feel like I hear about Larkin every time I put on NHL Network. I was watching the Columbus-Tampa condensed game earlier and they had a Finnish goalie making his debut, Joonas Korpisalo. He looked real good the portion I watched. Incredibly calm and confident for his first game, and he made some great stops. I'll be looking out for this guy. It's one game, but the mental game is almost everything in goal.

Dainius Zubrus (1) from Joe Pavelski and Joe Thornton.

That's incredible. Firstly, congrats to Zubrus. I always say this, and this goes for people that thought I had it out for Brodeur or anyone else. I care about the Devils, and I have nothing personal against any player. I have been wanting Zubrus gone from the Devils for a while. I was super happy when he was bought out, but I was rooting for him to get that spot with the Blues over Havlat. And I was really happy when he got to career his really incredible career with the Sharks. I absolutely love that he scored tonight for the Sharks.

But, it's almost 2016 and Zubrus is playing on a top line with another HOF and another fantastic player in Pavelski. Nothing should surprise me...

Dainius Zubrus (1) from Joe Pavelski and Joe Thornton.

That's incredible. Firstly, congrats to Zubrus. I always say this, and this goes for people that thought I had it out for Brodeur or anyone else. I care about the Devils, and I have nothing personal against any player. I have been wanting Zubrus gone from the Devils for a while. I was super happy when he was bought out, but I was rooting for him to get that spot with the Blues over Havlat. And I was really happy when he got to career his really incredible career with the Sharks. I absolutely love that he scored tonight for the Sharks.

But, it's almost 2016 and Zubrus is playing on a top line with another HOF and another fantastic player in Pavelski. Nothing should surprise me...

Good ole Pete haha.

First the Bolts go through their ordeal with Martin St. Louis (and Yzerman at least was able to profit from it), and now they're going through the same with Stamkos. Tough being a Lightning fan. You go through a postseason like last year and think you've got everything figured out, like there's no way you don't return in 2015-2016 and take steps forward. And yet, here they are, possibly losing their captain and best player, and currently out of a playoff spot. Unnecessary turmoil for a very gifted and promising team.

Edited by DJ Eco

41 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

First the Bolts go through their ordeal with Martin St. Louis (and Yzerman at least was able to profit from it), and now they're going through the same with Stamkos. Tough being a Lightning fan. You go through a postseason like last year and think you've got everything figured out, like there's no way you don't return in 2015-2016 and take steps forward. And yet, here they are, possibly losing their captain and best player, and currently out of a playoff spot. Unnecessary turmoil for a very gifted and promising team.

I hate Don Meehan so much. 

The Lightning can't bend over backwards for Stamkos.  He's a big time scorer but that's all he does.  He's not worth $11M+ on a long contract.

Stamkos' true colors are now readily apparent, and it's obvious winning isn't a priority for him. With all the guys that are gonna have to get paid down there (Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat), he could sign a fair deal that could allow enough cap room to try and keep the band together, but he's obviously decided that he wants to go home to be the highest paid player in the biggest hockey market. He's entitled to do exactly that if he wants, but I've lost some respect for him myself.

MD2020, sure, in fan utopia, guys like Stamkos would be content with a good situation and maybe think about sticking around and trying to see if he can win where he was drafted...but some things that are fair to remember:

Drafted players don't get to pick their destinations (and with good reason, as a guy like Stamkos probably doesn't choose a bottomed-out team that needed him, like the Lightning did), so when they get their chance to have a say in where they'll play, I can't kill them for exploring that.  And for all the big-money, this-guy-will-finish-his-career-as-a-{insert team} contracts that are doled out and celebrated during lovefest press conferences, we see that a good chunk of those deals (which have a way of becoming albatrosses very quickly) wind up being moved at least once, even with NTCs worked into these signings.   

It's not like Stamkos hasn't already given the Lightning a significant chunk of his career already...524 games and is currently in his 8th season with them.  And as we see in all sports, today's loser can become tomorrow's winner, and vice-versa...just because he may leave the Lightning for a team like the Maple Leafs doesn't mean winning isn't a priority for him (and GMs of struggling teams often do a good job selling Stamkos-types on being the first piece to turn a team around, that though it may not happen overnight, the plan is to build a winner as quickly as possible).

Let's face it, the guys who spend all (or the vast majority) of their careers with one team without ever really exploring other opportunities is a dying breed...and the reason for that isn't because guys are necessarily not as loyal as before...it's because they have opportunities that their predecessors rarely did.  I definitely get the "Stamkos should try to help the Lightning out by not asking for the moon, in an attempt to help his current team out", but when I factor in everything else, I can't kill Stamkos too much if he chooses another path.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Also this afternoon Doug Maclean called Americans "morons" on Hockey Central because he said people in the States are unfamiliar with where Ottawa is. He went on and on about what the schools teach and how could people not know that. He should know that his American audience are die-hard hockey fans and definitely know where Ottawa is, and to not generalize about an entire nation of people (which is what Darren Millard said to him). And why is it cute and quirky when Ken Daneyko admits he didn't know where New Jersey was before he got drafted, but when Americans don't know where Ottawa is, everyone here is an idiot? Hockey Central is one of my favorite shows, and if I'm home at noon or 4 I stop what I'm doing to watch it, but fvck you Doug Maclean. You're in the media because you couldn't make it behind the bench or in the front office, you washed up piece of trash. 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MD2020, sure, in fan utopia, guys like Stamkos would be content with a good situation and maybe think about sticking around and trying to see if he can win where he was drafted...but some things that are fair to remember:

Drafted players don't get to pick their destinations (and with good reason, as a guy like Stamkos probably doesn't choose a bottomed-out team that needed him, like the Lightning did), so when they get their chance to have a say in where they'll play, I can't kill them for exploring that.  And for all the big-money, this-guy-will-finish-his-career-as-a-{insert team} contracts that are doled out and celebrated during lovefest press conferences, we see that a good chunk of those deals (which have a way of becoming albatrosses very quickly) wind up being moved at least once, even with NTCs worked into these signings.   

It's not like Stamkos hasn't already given the Lightning a significant chunk of his career already...524 games and is currently in his 8th season with them.  And as we see in all sports, today's loser can become tomorrow's winner, and vice-versa...just because he may leave the Lightning for a team like the Maple Leafs doesn't mean winning isn't a priority for him (and GMs of struggling teams often do a good job selling Stamkos-types on being the first piece to turn a team around, that though it may not happen overnight, the plan is to build a winner as quickly as possible).

Let's face it, the guys who spend all (or the vast majority) of their careers with one team without ever really exploring other opportunities is a dying breed...and the reason for that isn't because guys are necessarily not as loyal as before...it's because they have opportunities that their predecessors rarely did.  I definitely get the "Stamkos should try to help the Lightning out by not asking for the moon, in an attempt to help his current team out", but when I factor in everything else, I can't kill Stamkos too much if he chooses another path.

While i get what youre saying. Consider this too, an organization pick you to turn the franchise around. They make moves, invest in you and help you grow for years. They make you captain and theyve been there for you for 8 years. Then you strap them in a way that theyll lose you for nothing, youre litterally fvckin them over.

If he really care and want to play home and get all the money in the world. Accept a tradeto a contender at least so that the team can get something in return and you may have a run at a cup before joining the leafs next summer. Whats wrong with that? Basically a win win for everyone.

8 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Also this afternoon Doug Maclean called Americans "morons" on Hockey Central because he said people in the States are unfamiliar with where Ottawa is. He went on and on about what the schools teach and how could people not know that. He should know that his American audience are die-hard hockey fans and definitely know where Ottawa is, and to not generalize about an entire nation of people (which is what Darren Millard said to him). And why is it cute and quirky when Ken Daneyko admits he didn't know where New Jersey was before he got drafted, but when Americans don't know where Ottawa is, everyone here is an idiot? Hockey Central is one of my favorite shows, and if I'm home at noon or 4 I stop what I'm doing to watch it, but fvck you Doug Maclean. You're in the media because you couldn't make it behind the bench or in the front office, you washed up piece of trash. 

Doug Maclean is one of the worst analysts around. He's the biggest reason why I don't listen to Hockey Central.