Jump to content

Around the League 15-16 Edition


devilsrule33

Recommended Posts

Brutal loss for the Blueshirts at the Caps. Self inflicted. I have thrown in the towel on the season. I just don't see it. Even in a weak conference and sh!tty division, the team is too flawed. FYI I put together a long well detailed post on what's wrong. 

Should the Rangers break it up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

D21, one thing you have to take into account is that the whole Eastern Conference is very meh, with the exception of the Capitals...an EXTREMELY flawed Devils team is actually flirting with a WC slot (not that I think they'll still be there when the season ends).  Florida has cooled off for the moment.  It's a pretty wide-open (and weak) conference for the teams that make the playoffs.  As long as Lundqvist gets his sh!t together (he's turned in three straight good efforts), they have as good a chance as anyone to get to the ECF...provided they don't face the Caps before then.  Not an endorsement of the Rangers as much as it is an indictment of everyone else...but if the Caps somehow stumble in the playoffs early, then it truly is anyone's conference.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

still reading that the price for Drouin is an nhl dman and a top prospect. I guess the Ducks are out. Says Yzerman is too greedy. MTL made an offer today apparently but its unlikely that they trade him within his division

 

Yzerman probably thinks about the Seguin trade and gets flush thinking about making a similar mistake. Different situations I know, but similar in some ways. He isn't gonna take pennies on the dollar for this kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

still reading that the price for Drouin is an nhl dman and a top prospect. I guess the Ducks are out. Says Yzerman is too greedy. MTL made an offer today apparently but its unlikely that they trade him within his division  

Yzerman probably thinks about the Seguin trade and gets flush thinking about making a similar mistake. Different situations I know, but similar in some ways. He isn't gonna take pennies on the dollar for this kid.

While people tell you he's been impressive in his recent AHL stint from the eye test, the superficial stats say otherwise. Unless he really starts dominating the AHL pretty soon, Yzerman looks like he's got a diminishing asset on his hands. Yeah, he doesn't want to get burnt like the Bruins did with Seguin, but Seguin never got demoted.

Maybe Merrill and a so-so prospect might actually get it done. Or, for all we know, the Devils scouts don't think Drouin is anything special at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, the Devils have almost no chance of landing Drouin, and they've also not been on the scouts list very much at Syracuse games.  It makes no sense to trade him if that's the return - let him get back to form in the AHL and someone will pay a lot more for him.

Edited by Triumph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Triumph said:

No, the Devils have almost no chance of landing Drouin, and they've also not been on the scouts list very much at Syracuse games.  It makes no sense to trade him if that's the return - let him get back to form in the AHL and someone will pay a lot more for him.

Was listening to Bob McKenzie on Sirius XM NHL Network radio and he had a good point. The longer TB takes to trade him, the more Drouin's value takes a hit. If he's in the AHL and doesnt play well, teams are going to do a double take. If he does play well, it's what he's supposed to be doing. If he gets recalled and doesn't kill it, then his value takes a hit. Then there's the chance JD just packs up and goes home if he stays in Syracuse  for awhile. I mean, I get Yzerman is trying to maximize value but it's a double edged sword.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, the East is hot garbage this season. I thought for sure this was the year some contenders rise up. I thought Montreal, Tampa Bay, Washington, even NY Islanders would be improved enough to run with the big boys from out West (so far, only Washington seems capable). I did think NY Rangers would be weaker, but not this weak. I also thought Pittsburgh would be weaker, but not this weak (out of a playoff spot).

Sure, the Devils' inability to get on any kind of run or winning streak is frustrating. But a ton of "contenders" are doing the same, and worse. Meanwhile, in the West, the Blackhawks, Blues, and Kings are still dominating. And now we got the Stars this year emerging as a new powerhouse. When will the East be even remotely competitive again? I'm almost actively rooting for the Capitals to get a Cup this year (if we don't make the playoffs).

Edited by DJ Eco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Triumph said:

No, the Devils have almost no chance of landing Drouin, and they've also not been on the scouts list very much at Syracuse games.  It makes no sense to trade him if that's the return - let him get back to form in the AHL and someone will pay a lot more for him.

I thought the Devils had scouts at one of the Syracuse games where they weren't playing Albany, but could be wrong about that.  Still, it really sounds like a lot of teams are balking at whatever the asking price is, and that his perceived value will continue to decline so long as he is either not dominating at the AHL level or on an NHL roster.  The other thing to keep in mind is that the Devils are probably one of only a few teams that could afford to take back a bad contract.  At this point though, it's just as likely that the Devils aren't really that high on him to begin with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Man, the East is hot garbage this season. I thought for sure this was the year some contenders rise up. I thought Montreal, Tampa Bay, Washington, even NY Islanders would be improved enough to run with the big boys from out West (so far, only Washington seems capable). I did think NY Rangers would be weaker, but not this weak. I also thought Pittsburgh would be weaker, but not this weak (out of a playoff spot).

Sure, the Devils' inability to get on any kind of run or winning streak is frustrating. But a ton of "contenders" are doing the same, and worse. Meanwhile, in the West, the Blackhawks, Blues, and Kings are still dominating. And now we got the Stars this year emerging as a new powerhouse. When will the East be even remotely competitive again? I'm almost actively rooting for the Capitals to get a Cup this year (if we don't make the playoffs).

It's called parity. There just aren't that many elite teams anymore. You can blame the cap. The Rangers went from a strong possession team who had a good team defense to a very weak one. Both Girardi and Staal are done being consistent players who can be relied on. Yet Vigneault remains loyal to a fault. Especially with Danny G. He stays in the lineup over McIlrath, who in my view is the 3rd best defensive defenseman on the team behind Klein and McDonagh. In a cap, you have to manage your assets carefully. Sather chose poorly. But also, they were never on par with the Blackhawks or Kings, who boast legit star talent capable of taking over games and dominating series. The Hawks are the best example of how to run a team. They subtracted pieces in cost cutting deals but made sure to lock up their best players. Keith is signed to a cap friendly deal and they re-signed Seabrook. They also moved Saad for Anisimov and Dano, who will be part of it eventually. Essentially replaced the streaky Saad who got paid by Columbus with KHL import Panarin, who is a better offensive player.

As for the Kings, they kept Kopitar giving him the rumored 8 years for 64 mill. He's their best forward. One of the top two-way centers in hockey and one of the best overall. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep Lucic, who has fit in well. But the core is still intact with Doughty, Kopitar, Carter and Quick. Plus Muzzin and Toffoli evolving into key players. Having seen a lot of LA, they look like the favorite again out of the West. I think the style they play is perfect. I see another Cup in Staples. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parity is definitely a double-edged sword...you don't tend to get those all-time truly great teams, but you also don't get the truly god-awful teams either (not nearly as often, anyway).  It wasn't uncommon to see the best teams beat up on the bad teams by scores of 10-0, 8-1, etc, with several other losses by 5+ back in the 80s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I thought the Devils had scouts at one of the Syracuse games where they weren't playing Albany, but could be wrong about that.  Still, it really sounds like a lot of teams are balking at whatever the asking price is, and that his perceived value will continue to decline so long as he is either not dominating at the AHL level or on an NHL roster.  The other thing to keep in mind is that the Devils are probably one of only a few teams that could afford to take back a bad contract.  At this point though, it's just as likely that the Devils aren't really that high on him to begin with. 

Tampa doesn't really care about a bad contract in season - as long as the guy's an NHL quality player and not hindering them from making callups, it's really better to have that player than not.

His value is really not cratering now, but it may be affecting their ability to get a deal done.  I don't think long term he is a .43 points per game player in the AHL though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2016 at 5:52 PM, SterioDesign said:

still reading that the price for Drouin is an nhl dman and a top prospect. I guess the Ducks are out. Says Yzerman is too greedy. MTL made an offer today apparently but its unlikely that they trade him within his division

 

Not only an NHL Dman, but a young DMan whose salary can be controlled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Re: the Ducks, I wouldn't discount Shea Theodore as a player the Ducks may dangle for Drouin, he's a real talented young defense prospect seeing some NHL time right now and playing quite well. In a Ducks-Lightning trade, Theodore may be Anaheim's main chip to move.

I imagine Tampa has already asked for him.  And judging by Murray's comments, I think Anaheim believes that Theodore is the better player.  Theodore, a a defensemen, has put up superior offensive numbers at the AHL, although admittedly Drouin has a much smaller sample size. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.