Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

4 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Well that's a head scratcher.

Not really. Their PK is 25th and has been awful. It's a big reason for the lack of consistency. And the organization prefers to always go with vets over kids. 

Re: Drouin/Tampa I really dislike his agent Walsh. He comes off like a schmuck in this. I am not a fan of young players being told to sit out to force a trade. The kid's 20 and hasn't proven anything. I also wonder if part of it is his relationship with the coach. Yzerman will just wait until he gets the best deal. He's too smart.

At this point, I really don't want to trade any of our quality young assets (the few we have) for Drouin.  That being said, I would love to see Shero pull something off with us taking Carle's contract off his hands and maybe sending a B level prospect or two back to Tampa as the main pieces.    

Edited by Lateralous

this drouin thing is crazy, he seems to be crazy talented, but possibly a head case that will never let him reach his potential.

That being said I would love to see the Devs make a run at him, I have to think his value is at a low point now...

Is it worth offering severson?  or is that too much now?

27 minutes ago, redruM said:

this drouin thing is crazy, he seems to be crazy talented, but possibly a head case that will never let him reach his potential.

That being said I would love to see the Devs make a run at him, I have to think his value is at a low point now...

The Drouin situation is really weird. There's all kind of contradicting stories / rumours / reports.

here's everything that i've heard, some source coming from around here since he played juniors close and still has friends and people connected to him. 

As the whole world know, he asked for a trade.

Heard about various teams calling for him. Heard many teams eventually dropped of the race cause Yzerman was asking way too much and wouldn't accept anything. Heard he wouldn't trade within the division or the conference.

Heard that some GMs were calling Yzerman telling him NOT to trade him and open a can of worms so that we see rookies asking from trades all around the league.

Heard some GMs were calling Drouin's people directly to let them know that they made multiple fair offers but that Yzerman won't take anything.

Walsh said that Yzerman told him a trade was close. Yzerman said he never said that.

Walsh suggested that Drouin stop playing in the AHL to avoid injury and compromise a trade. Yzerman refused. Then Drouin decided not to play and got suspended without pay.

So not all of that stuff is confirmed it's simply nuggets that i read here and there. Some can be taken with a grain of salt.

To me it just seems weird. Sure Drouin might just be a diva... but i really don't know you don't think he'd go as far as making a move that would cost him THAT MUCH money for a kid his age. His agent must have told him what would happen and if he still decided not to play and throw all of that money out of the window... maybe there's more to it.

Now im thinking of other players from that organization. Martin St-Louis was always a real deal to me until that trade request. To the whole world he was suddenly just a whiny bitch. What if we were wrong and that Yzerman is actually a pain to deal with? I'm not saying that's the case but what if ? Lecavalier was traded... Martin asked for a trade... Drouin asked for a trade... Stamkos.. god knows but it doesnt look like he wants to re-sign and he might just leave the team saying sorry not sorry. Again it might be nothing but it's fair to at least consider that point of view. Maybe in reality for Drouin it's like "good for sticking out for yourself kid", who knows. I certainly don't. He might just be a diva, but i'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

Cause imagine being jerked around... and on top of that Cooper is really Deboer'ish the way he handle his young skilled players... we all know how frustrating it can be... sure it's easy to say that he should just play and suck it up. Normally yes, but it's not always as black and white and we don't know everything so we can't really judge.

Then once Yzerman said he'd trade him... and if he's really asking too much that it doesn't make sense... well sure he's trying to do what's best for the team but as we saw with Vancouver... it can fvck you over more than anything if you chase away any trade partners, teams move on and you end up losing players like Schneider or Luongo for not much. And at some point as a player/agent it must get really frustrating to just wait and wait knowing that the GM just won't accept anything. At the same time, i totally get that he doesnt want to rush things to much and make sure to get the right deal.

Bottom line i don't really know what's happening but i'm not ready to just pain Drouin as a problem kid. There's too much smoke and extreme situations happening.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, redruM said:

If you're confident enough that Drouin will be what he's supposed to be -- consistent 70 to 90 point production -- and that the defense won't go to absolute crap without Severson you make that deal every time.  The thing about Drouin though is that some teams were not all that high on him even when he was drafted.  Who knows what the Devils scouts think of him. 

This Mike Hoffman has quietly put up some impressive goal scoring numbers. 27 last year, already 21 this season, hes 26 and a UFA after this season.

Would he be a realistic target for us? I don't know what the rest of his gm is like but his shot is world class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank god NJ is in Winnipeg tonight as every other game in the NE has been postponed. Would be going nuts if I had no sports to look forward to all day

As for Hoffman, Melnyk has no excuse not to re-sign him but he is a notorious cheapskate. Could see Hoffman getting 7/49 easily on the open market. With Ryan and EK signed to big deals, could the Sens afford both Hoffman and Turris getting 6-7 each in consecutive years?