Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

In the islanders case beggers can't be choosers.

The supposed fanbase out in Long Island voted down multiple times the renovation of the colosseum and voted in politicians who blocked any attempts by the ownership to keep them out in Nassau county. Sorry but they reap what they sow.

I think they even voted down one proposal that had all private money paying for a new arena.

I think that they'll ultimately be back in Nassau county though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they even voted down one proposal that had all private money paying for a new arena.

I think that they'll ultimately be back in Nassau county though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you see them returning to Nassau? Those people vote down ANYTHING- and I mean ANYTHING- that MAY raise their taxes even slightly (and I can't blame them, seeing as how their taxes are worse than NJ, which is almost inconceivable). I know they are renovating the Coliseum, but it'll knock capacity down to around 14,000, which is too small for the NHL. What do you see going down out there that brings them back? Because it may just take a completely 100% privately financed arena (meaning not a dime of taxpayer money at all) to make that happen.

How do you see them returning to Nassau? Those people vote down ANYTHING- and I mean ANYTHING- that MAY raise their taxes even slightly (and I can't blame them, seeing as how their taxes are worse than NJ, which is almost inconceivable). I know they are renovating the Coliseum, but it'll knock capacity down to around 14,000, which is too small for the NHL. What do you see going down out there that brings them back? Because it may just take a completely 100% privately financed arena (meaning not a dime of taxpayer money at all) to make that happen.

The difference now is that the team is good. You'd be surprised how that gets people out to the polls on these sorts of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference now is that the team is good. You'd be surprised how that gets people out to the polls on these sorts of things.

Didn't they vote down that 100% Wang funded project down when they were in the post season against the Pens a few years back?

In the islanders case beggers can't be choosers.

The supposed fanbase out in Long Island voted down multiple times the renovation of the colosseum and voted in politicians who blocked any attempts by the ownership to keep them out in Nassau county. Sorry but they reap what they sow.

Come on, this isn't fair. Don't act like it was exclusively isles fans lining up to the polls.

Didn't they vote down that 100% Wang funded project down when they were in the post season against the Pens a few years back?

Yes, that is the one Daniel was referring to.  That was voted down as the town supervisor, Kate Murray, basically made it impossible for Wang and company to develop the area in an economically viable site.

Come on, this isn't fair. Don't act like it was exclusively isles fans lining up to the polls.

No but the fanbase was not exactly galvanized either as their rallies often drew at best ho-hum support.

If unions can pack polls to tip the scales in races, so can Islanders fans like in the case of Kate Murray.

Edited by DevsMan84

Watching this Islanders game, 15,500 is about the capacity at Barclays. The arena is probably less than 2/3 full and there is not a peep to be heard. Sounds like they are playing in a library

Columbus Day 1:00 pm game is a terrible for a hockey game imo.  The only people I know that are off are teachers and students.  While their attendance may be horrible in Brooklyn I wouldn't go off this game.

Watching this Islanders game, 15,500 is about the capacity at Barclays. The arena is probably less than 2/3 full and there is not a peep to be heard. Sounds like they are playing in a library

they had just over 11k (according to the "official" attendance,  Remember how they said opening day was a "sell out" and there were TONS of empty seats, so I would say the actual number of people who attended were less then what they say.

they had just over 11k (according to the "official" attendance,  Remember how they said opening day was a "sell out" and there were TONS of empty seats, so I would say the actual number of people who attended were less then what they say.

Turnstile numbers are so far below these inflated reported ones. 11,000 is the number the Panthers used to give when they were just passing out tickets to any a$$hole on the street. Even that number dropped last year when they stopped doing it. So I'd go ahead and guess there were no more than 9,000, and more than likely less.

Columbus Day 1:00 pm game is a terrible for a hockey game imo.  The only people I know that are off are teachers and students.  While their attendance may be horrible in Brooklyn I wouldn't go off this game.

Not even every district, I had work yesterday :lol:

Let's all remember when we're talking about the already failed Barclays experiment that this building is in the biggest city on the continent. They'd be better served with the colosseum falling down on top of them. Or in Quebec. I read that 30% of ticket sales were coming from Nassau and Suffolk, which is even worse than I had anticipated.

As for the Devils attendance woes, where is the god damn marketing. Lou is gone. Billboards, events, promote this team. They're all we got, sell it.

I saw that article and I am not buying it at all.  Remember, they were quoting an Islanders rep.  I think the number is much higher and their bread and butter on weeknight games will be the Isles fan who lives in Nassua/Suffolk and works in Manhattan.  Will they be willing to take subway to Brooklyn and then LIRR home?  A friend's brother went Friday, said it was a mostly LI crowd based on the number of people on the LIRR after the game.

No, Wang's Lighthouse Project or fantasy did involve tax dollars and the resident of Nassau County will vote down anything that causes them to pay an extra dollar in taxes.  You should see the fights that happen over school budget votes.  

No but the fanbase was not exactly galvanized either as their rallies often drew at best ho-hum support.

If unions can pack polls to tip the scales in races, so can Islanders fans like in the case of Kate Murray.

No, they can't.  Unions will do so because they feel their livelihood depends on who is voted in.  When it comes to tax dollars, only the most hardcore Isles fans are going to agree to any increase or base their vote on what a candidate will do with the Isles situation.  Most would rather have someone else (another municipality) build them an arena and then travel a little to the game. And, don't count on Nassau and Suffolk counties ever doing this as a joint project.

Edited by Matteau#32

No, they can't.  Unions will do so because they feel their livelihood depends on who is voted in.  When it comes to tax dollars, only the most hardcore Isles fans are going to agree to any increase or base their vote on what a candidate will do with the Isles situation.  Most would rather have someone else (another municipality) build them an arena and then travel a little to the game. And, don't count on Nassau and Suffolk counties ever doing this as a joint project.

Union members do the bidding of what union leadership demands, whether it affects their livelihood or not.  The point is that they are a motivated bunch while the Islanders fans are not.

Wang and co. agreed to pay for a brand new arena with the county and municipality chipping in a little to pay for the inevitable infrastructure improvements.  At this point it didn't even come up for this vote at this round (I believe this is in 2010) as Kate Murray nixed the idea from the beginning citing that it would take away from the "suburban feel" of Nassau county.  The next and final attempt Wang and co. made was where public money was used for the arena and that was shot down.

I stand by what I said that Islanders fans had a chance to get a brand new arena.  The voters decided to vote it down (more than once over the years) and their elected leaders also wanted nothing to do with it.  If the Islanders fans hated this much they could have galvanized their fanbase and either voted for the measure of vote out the politicians.  Neither happened so they reap what they sow.  Fine that you don't want to pay extra taxes.  I wouldn't want to either.  However, don't whine about what he end-result is.