Jump to content

Around the League 15-16 Edition


devilsrule33

Recommended Posts

I would love to see a Pens-Caps ECF. Those teams are stupid good

We may finally have an Eastern Conference winner in the Finals this year. And I truly wouldn't mind if it ends up being the Capitals.

It's going to be the Blawkhawks again. I hate it more than the next guy, but it's bound to happen. I only really think the Stars have a chance besides the Kings of taking the Hawks down. Then in the East we'll be probably looking at the Pens or Caps, buuuut....my sleeper is FL, especially with how beaten up Tampa looks.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

Blackhawks have been playing like crap for the month or two.

You must have missed the Bruins-Blawkhawks game yesterday.  Boston battled back by from a 6-0 deficit by scoring three to four goals, but that Panarin-Anisimov-Kane line is easily one of the best forward lines in the entire league.  I'm guessing it's the defense more than anything.  I've never been a fan of the Blawkhawks D corps past Keith and Seabrook, maybe Hjalmarsson too, but the rest of the D just isn't that good and underdeveloped, like van Riemsdyk or Svedberg.  Rosival is garbage.  Ehrhoff is meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Blackhawks suffering the same fate as the Rangers. First round and out. Both look worn down. Each lacks strong defense and are susceptible to tough forechecking teams with speed. The West should come down to Ana/LA winner vs Stars/St. Louis. Unless the Sharks finally make a dent with their new goalie Jones. 

For more on the Rangers' issues, I did a podcast.

I have the Pens wiping out the Caps and winning the East.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Derek21 said:

I have the Blackhawks suffering the same fate as the Rangers. First round and out. Both look worn down. Each lacks strong defense and are susceptible to tough forechecking teams with speed. The West should come down to Ana/LA winner vs Stars/St. Louis. Unless the Sharks finally make a dent with their new goalie Jones. 

For more on the Rangers' issues, I did a podcast.

I have the Pens wiping out the Caps and winning the East.

I could totally see Anaheim v. Washington in the SCF.  That would be a VERY entertaining series.  I'm usually all about Anaheim taking the West and even in recent years, but I could totally see the Stars taking it.  They're my West dark horse. 

For the East, I'd rather not see the Penguins pull one out and I don't see the Pens going very far without MA Fleury.  They're just as beaten up as Tampa.  Florida is my East darkhorse with WSH the likely winner

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Derek21 said:

I have the Blackhawks suffering the same fate as the Rangers. First round and out. Both look worn down. Each lacks strong defense and are susceptible to tough forechecking teams with speed. The West should come down to Ana/LA winner vs Stars/St. Louis. Unless the Sharks finally make a dent with their new goalie Jones. 

For more on the Rangers' issues, I did a podcast.

I have the Pens wiping out the Caps and winning the East.

Damn, that's an extremely bold prediction. BUT, makes sense. Caps have been getting the wins but Trotz has been critical of their play since February. I can't agree or disagree though, as I haven't seen most of their games during this time. But inversely, Penguins have been winning and have been firing on all cylinders, they've gotten hot at exactly the textbook-perfect time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers 3 unanswered to take a 3-2 lead against Tampa.

Rangers might be getting outshot every game but their players are burying the puck at a high rate. God forbid Lundqvist goes into beast mode in the postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers 3 unanswered to take a 3-2 lead against Tampa.

Rangers might be getting outshot every game but their players are burying the puck at a high rate. God forbid Lundqvist goes into beast mode in the postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need another 2014 scare in my life. I'd rather see the Failures surprise and win it all than the Rangers.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sislo was put on waivers, obviously with the goal of letting him play in the AHL playoffs.  He's a UFA next year, so I can't see anyone claiming him at this point, even if there's another NHL team that wanted him on its roster.  Unless there's some other non-playoff team whose AHL affiliate is in the playoffs and for some reason wants to troll Albany.  Has this ever happened?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really hope the Rangers beat the Islanders to keep 3rd place in the Metropolitan. Panthers are great but they're young and inexperienced in the playoffs (this may be a thing; maybe not). I'd really rather they face the class of the league (right now at this exact moment) in the Penguins first round. Pens look ready and determined more than I've ever seen them.

Edited by DJ Eco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Really hope the Rangers beat the Islanders to keep 3rd place in the Metropolitan. Panthers are great but they're young and inexperienced in the playoffs (this may be a thing; maybe not). I'd really rather they face the class of the league (right now at this exact moment) in the Penguins first round. Pens look ready and determined more than I've ever seen them.

I didn't realize how well they've been playing.  13-1-0 in their last 14 (the one loss of course came at the hands of Wedge's 39-save shutout), with 58 GF (4.14 GFA) and 29 GA (2.07 GAA).  Hard to average over 4.00 GPG these days for more than a handful of games.  Almost reminds me of the run the Devils went on to close out the 2000-01 season and through the first three games of the 2001 playoffs:  22-2-0, 96 GF, 46 GA 

I started a thread about that run and just how dominant the Devils were:  http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134176-the-most-dominant-stretch-of-hockey-in-devils-history-226-to-4172/&page=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't realize how well they've been playing.  13-1-0 in their last 14 (the one loss of course came at the hands of Wedge's 39-save shutout), with 58 GF (4.14 GFA) and 29 GA (2.07 GAA).  Hard to average over 4.00 GPG these days for more than a handful of games.  Almost reminds me of the run the Devils went on to close out the 2000-01 season and through the first three games of the 2001 playoffs:  22-2-0, 96 GF, 46 GA 

I started a thread about that run and just how dominant the Devils were:  http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134176-the-most-dominant-stretch-of-hockey-in-devils-history-226-to-4172/&page=1

Yeah I remember the 13-14 game winning streak, whatever it was and the fact it was the Rangers of all teams that snapped it.  Honestly that stretch might have been the worst thing to happen to the Devils that year, they got pretty arrogant and thought they could turn it on whenever they needed to, and against a weak East they could...but it finally bit them against the Avs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I remember the 13-14 game winning streak, whatever it was and the fact it was the Rangers of all teams that snapped it.  Honestly that stretch might have been the worst thing to happen to the Devils that year, they got pretty arrogant and thought they could turn it on whenever they needed to, and against a weak East they could...but it finally bit them against the Avs.

I mean, they steamrolled through the East in the playoffs that year, and absolutely humiliated a Pittsburgh team that I seem to recall a lot of talking heads deemed the favorite, although that was based on a combination of name recognition and wishful thinking. 

Hate to say it, but the loss to the Avs rested a lot on Marty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't realize how well they've been playing.  13-1-0 in their last 14 (the one loss of course came at the hands of Wedge's 39-save shutout), with 58 GF (4.14 GFA) and 29 GA (2.07 GAA).  Hard to average over 4.00 GPG these days for more than a handful of games.  Almost reminds me of the run the Devils went on to close out the 2000-01 season and through the first three games of the 2001 playoffs:  22-2-0, 96 GF, 46 GA 

I started a thread about that run and just how dominant the Devils were:  http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134176-the-most-dominant-stretch-of-hockey-in-devils-history-226-to-4172/&page=1

On 10/31/2014 at 1:48 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Elias:  24 GP, 19 G, 23 A, 42 Pts, +26

holy hell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I remember the 13-14 game winning streak, whatever it was and the fact it was the Rangers of all teams that snapped it.  Honestly that stretch might have been the worst thing to happen to the Devils that year, they got pretty arrogant and thought they could turn it on whenever they needed to, and against a weak East they could...but it finally bit them against the Avs.

I always felt like the two losses to the 'Canes in the first round of the playoffs (after cruising to a 3-0 series lead) threw the Devils off...seemed like they were headed for an easy sweep, then suddenly had to work a bit harder than they expected.  Then the seven-game series against the Leafs that saw them down 3-2.  A Penguins team that really wasn't that good (Tri said it in my thread, they were basically five great forwards and nothing else, and Hedberg came back to earth) was the perfect tonic at the perfectt time...after that tough series against the Leafs, the Devils basically swatted the Pens away like an insignificant swarm of gnats, and the Pens seemed to have minimal interest in competing.  I do think the Devils got a little complacent/too sure of themselves, but I also think they simply couldn't sustain the ridiculous pace they were on over those 24 games.  They basically didn't lose during that entire stretch.  Damned near every game they were firing on all cylinders, and Brodeur was good but not really great for that run...he had a .912 save%. 

The parallel is interesting because you can't help but wonder if the Penguins are peaking a little too early as well. 

RWTD:  yeah, Elias was a complete beast and then some.  Over a full season that would've been over a 140-point pace over 82 GP.  I haven't looked up the Pens individual numbers over this stretch, but I'm sure the big names are red hot for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Penguins' case they haven't won a Cup 'that' recently so I don't think overconfidence will be a problem.  They did lose in five games of the first round last year.

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, they steamrolled through the East in the playoffs that year, and absolutely humiliated a Pittsburgh team that I seem to recall a lot of talking heads deemed the favorite, although that was based on a combination of name recognition and wishful thinking. 

Hate to say it, but the loss to the Avs rested a lot on Marty.

They hardly steamrolled through the East.  They should have steamrolled through Carolina but lost a tough Game 4 and no-showed in Game 5 at home, suddenly making things a bit nerve-wracking till they pulled away in Game 6.  They were down 3-2 against Toronto and got too caught up in revenge for the Nieds thing in Games 5 and 6, and somehow won Game 6 despite taking a million penalties before they rolled in Game 7 and through the Pens the last three games of that series. On the MSG telecast after the Av series Stan and even Doc were saying how the team was so mercurial and they definitely suffered a lack of discipline in a lot of big games that playoff run.  White and O'Donnell practically lived in the penalty box.

Yes Marty stunk in the Finals but he was hardly the only one.  Mogilny and Gomez had like one or two good games that whole playoffs.  Even Stevens got nutmegged by Sakic a couple times in the Finals.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.