Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

James Mirtle @mirtle: Full trade: Carolina gets Teravainen and Bickell. Chicago gets 2016 second-round draft pick and 2017 third-round draft pick. And cap space

Bickell and Terevainen to Carolina for a 2 and a 3. Just got a TSN alert.

fvcking pissed.. or rather, disappointed. This was a deal I was hoping we'd pull.

Yeah I'm not thrilled either. That's a deal we should've made for that price.

One potential silver lining is that this sets the market rather high for taking on dead cap space.  So Datsyuk's cap hit for next year should fetch something very, very significant, especially if Detroit wants to go all in for Stamkos.  I'm almost thinking the Devils could trade their second rounder this year plus something for optics, for Datsyuk's cap hit and Deteroits first rounder, number 16 overall.  Then use 11 and 16 to trade up to number 3 and Hartnell. 

I also pray that Shero was not asleep at the switch here.  I kind of doubt it as he's been quoted as being quite aware of the possibilities in taking on bad contracts.  I can't imagine that Savard is the only one he thinks he could take on. 

Trading this year's 2nd is a pretty high price for this deal.  Teravainen is still only 21 and turns 22 before next season, but so far he looks like a soft-minute scorer who doesn't do a ton else.  I'd be more upset if NJ had a second 2nd round pick this year, but they don't.

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Trading this year's 2nd is a pretty high price for this deal.  Teravainen is still only 21 and turns 22 before next season, but so far he looks like a soft-minute scorer who doesn't do a ton else.  I'd be more upset if NJ had a second 2nd round pick this year, but they don't.

? I thought they did...

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Just want to add that we have no idea what Shero is working on. It's not like Chicago and Carolina agreed to the trade and then Chicago calls Jersey to see if they want the same trade. Shero can't be everywhere at once. 

Exactly, can't make every trade that happens in the NHL haha.. 

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

They traded the Rangers 2nd rounder and gave the Blackhawks back their own 3rd next year so they didn't even have to move any of their own picks in this deal.   

35 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If they don't sign him, they get the pick back, or am I off base with yet another topic here? lol

No.  They traded the pick for the rights.  Some deals like this have had conditions attached to them, but this one doesn't.

With an expansion draft likely for the 2017 season, the Lightning are going to have decide to protect either Bishop or Vasilevsky, if I understand correctly.  It seems you can protect either 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters of any type, and 1 goalie.  So basically no matter the circumstances, it looks like you can't protect more than 1 goalie no matter what, which is a huge problem for them.  By that time it might be clear that Vasilevsky is the true #1, but the guy is still so young, only 21 years old, so it's probably fair to say he's not proven, even though he had a great post-season filling in for an injured Bishop.  I just don't think you can protect a guy like Bishop who will be about 30/31 when the draft rolls around, and risk giving up potentially a player like Bishop who should be a really good goalie for the next decade or so.  But obviously it would suck to lose a guy like Bishop who is probably a top 3 or certainly top 5 goalie in the league right now and still has a handful of solid years left before he probably starts declining.  He didn't have a huge workload early in his career so I could easily see him being effective after age 35.  The only thing I see that counters this is that players in years 1 or 2 of their career are exempt, but I believe this past year was Vasi's rookie year, and next year would be his second, so he wouldn't be exempt the year of the expansion draft.  Am I understanding that correct?

If this expansion draft takes place it would probably be before '17 draft & July 1 UFA? Then again,  wouldn't it happen shortly after conclusion of SC finals?

Seems like a small window.  And wouldn't you have a GM/scouts in place to select in expansion draft? I would assume they're interviewing folks pretty soon.  

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

With an expansion draft likely for the 2017 season, the Lightning are going to have decide to protect either Bishop or Vasilevsky, if I understand correctly.  It seems you can protect either 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters of any type, and 1 goalie.  So basically no matter the circumstances, it looks like you can't protect more than 1 goalie no matter what, which is a huge problem for them.  By that time it might be clear that Vasilevsky is the true #1, but the guy is still so young, only 21 years old, so it's probably fair to say he's not proven, even though he had a great post-season filling in for an injured Bishop.  I just don't think you can protect a guy like Bishop who will be about 30/31 when the draft rolls around, and risk giving up potentially a player like Bishop who should be a really good goalie for the next decade or so.  But obviously it would suck to lose a guy like Bishop who is probably a top 3 or certainly top 5 goalie in the league right now and still has a handful of solid years left before he probably starts declining.  He didn't have a huge workload early in his career so I could easily see him being effective after age 35.  The only thing I see that counters this is that players in years 1 or 2 of their career are exempt, but I believe this past year was Vasi's rookie year, and next year would be his second, so he wouldn't be exempt the year of the expansion draft.  Am I understanding that correct?

I'm pretty sure this upcoming season starts Vasilevsky's 3rd year of his ELC. He played enough games (16 GP) in 2014-2015 to trigger his first ELC year then.

I think you may be overestimating the danger for Tampa Bay. If I were them, I'd definitely protect Bishop; and then I think you'll see a ton of unprotected goalies leaguewide that are better than Vasilevsky, in my opinion. I don't think they have anything to worry about.

At first glance, teams with decent/good tandems might be in a rough position: 

• Philadelphia - Maybe it'll be crystal clear 8 months from now, but who do you re-sign and who do you protect out of Mason and Neuvirth (who have both done a really good job for them and are both 28)? I'm sure Philly doesn't want to go through the painful task of finding a couple reliable and sturdy goaltenders again, but they may have to.
  • Buffalo - Robin Lehner is pretty underrated. But do they sign a new 1A/1B in UFA? Maybe I'm way off here, but if I'm a new franchise, I'd pry Lehner away over Vasilevsky as a 1B every time.
  • Islanders - I haven't paid too much close attention to them this season, so I could be overrating them, but Islanders could risk losing a young promising Berube if they try to stick with either Halak or Gibson.
  • San Jose - If they are sticking with Jones and Reimer, I think they protect Jones. Reimer is a decent choice to pry away. He's 28 but I think can do some good things in front of a good team (a not-Toronto Maple Leafs team), still has a lot of good hockey ahead of him.
  • New York Rangers - Antti Raanta is a great backup for NYR at the price he signed for, and I'd see him as a great backup at that price if I'm in an expansion draft and need to build a team.

These are just a few. I could also have all my expansion draft rules incorrect (it's confusing haha), so if none of these guys apply and I've got it all twisted, please correct me and disregard!

Edited by DJ Eco

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

I'm pretty sure this upcoming season starts Vasilevsky's 3rd year of his ELC. He played enough games (16 GP) in 2014-2015 to trigger his first ELC year then.

I think you may be overestimating the danger for Tampa Bay. If I were them, I'd definitely protect Bishop; and then I think you'll see a ton of unprotected goalies leaguewide that are better than Vasilevsky, in my opinion. I don't think they have anything to worry about.

At first glance, teams with decent/good tandems might be in a rough position: 

• Philadelphia - Maybe it'll be crystal clear 8 months from now, but who do you re-sign and who do you protect out of Mason and Neuvirth (who have both done a really good job for them and are both 28)? I'm sure Philly doesn't want to go through the painful task of finding a couple reliable and sturdy goaltenders again, but they may have to.
  • Buffalo - Robin Lehner is pretty underrated. But do they sign a new 1A/1B in UFA? Maybe I'm way off here, but if I'm a new franchise, I'd pry Lehner away over Vasilevsky as a 1B every time.
  • Islanders - I haven't paid too much close attention to them this season, so I could be overrating them, but Islanders could risk losing a young promising Berube if they try to stick with either Halak or Gibson.
  • San Jose - If they are sticking with Jones and Reimer, I think they protect Jones. Reimer is a decent choice to pry away. He's 28 but I think can do some good things in front of a good team (a not-Toronto Maple Leafs team), still has a lot of good hockey ahead of him.
  • New York Rangers - Antti Raanta is a great backup for NYR at the price he signed for, and I'd see him as a great backup at that price if I'm in an expansion draft and need to build a team.

These are just a few. I could also have all my expansion draft rules incorrect (it's confusing haha), so if none of these guys apply and I've got it all twisted, please correct me and disregard!

Yeah those are definitely some teams with capable goalies that could also be unprotected, but, and this is coming from a guy who lives in the Tampa area so I could be a little biased, Vasilevsky was/is/could be the #1 goalie prospect...in the WORLD, not just the U.S. or NHL, and although he definitely still has some things to improve about his game and continue to gain experience, I think he did a pretty impressive job filling some big shoes when he stepped up to the plate in the Conference finals.  He was, in large part, a big reason why the Pens didn't oust the Bolts in 5 or 6, at least in my opinion. 

Some of the guys you listed are definitely capable, but not really the same potential and age as Vasi.  Mason and Neuvirth are 28 like you mentioned, so is Reimer.  Halak is 31, Raanta is 27.  That's kinda a far cry from 21.  I guess we can agree to disagree, because if I'm an NHL GM scavenging rosters of available players and Vasilevsky's name comes up, I immediately start salivating and choose him 99 times out of 100.  I guess the biggest reason to me is because being a new/young team, you want to solve problems as quickly and efficiently as possible, with long-term solutions.  When you create a new franchise, to me you have 3 main problems.  You have no offense, you have no defense, and you have no goaltending.  By picking Vasi, I think you solve that need right away, and probably for the foreseeable future.  If you take one of those other guys, you might have a qualified goalie for 5 years or so, but after that you have to start looking at other options, and at that point you'll probably still be in the mist of building your forwards and defense, since that is the heart of you roster and where 21 of the total 23 players come from.

Edited by NJDfan1711