Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

13 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Funny as that is, that's how it sometimes goes when you're trying to get over the top (bringing in rentals or guys that are clearly short-term stays, etc). 

But yeah, when you trade two 2nd-rounders and Saarela and get very little out of a seemingly-washed-up Eric Staal...after having given up a 1st (it was conditional, but pretty much a forgone conclusion that the Rangers would make the playoffs in 2016, which was the condition), a 2nd, Duclair and Moore for Yandle, Summers, and a 4th-rounder...and you don't at least get yourself into a SCF in either of the past two seasons (and go out meekly in the first round in one of them), yep, those deals are going to look very bad and will hurt later for sure.  Especially since the Rangers now only have 1 pick in the top two rounds in the next two drafts (their 2017 first). 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny as that is, that's how it sometimes goes when you're trying to get over the top (bringing in rentals or guys that are clearly short-term stays, etc). 

But yeah, when you trade two 2nd-rounders and Saarela and get very little out of a seemingly-washed-up Eric Staal...after having given up a 1st (it was conditional, but pretty much a forgone conclusion that the Rangers would make the playoffs in 2016, which was the condition), a 2nd, Duclair and Moore for Yandle, Summers, and a 4th-rounder...and you don't at least get yourself into a SCF in either of the past two seasons (and go out meekly in the first round in one of them), yep, those deals are going to look very bad and will hurt later for sure.  Especially since the Rangers now only have 1 pick in the top two rounds in the next two drafts (their 2017 first). 

Hope you guys enjoy dinning on their sweet tears of unfathomable sadness. Sad I'm not in the area to also enjoy it.

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Hope you guys enjoy dinning on their sweet tears of unfathomable sadness. Sad I'm not in the area to also enjoy it.

As locals here know, Ranger fans are annoying enough as it is, regardless of what their team happens to be doing on the ice.  One of my best friends is a Ranger fan, and he's pretty much admitted that the window is probably closed now...sure, they might continue to make the playoffs, but definitely aren't in that "handful of favorites" category anymore.

It's just great that they still only have one (bought) Cup since 1940, and will have to look under rocks and dig even deeper to keep finding to reasons to dust off 1994...if they had won one in the last few years, they REALLY would have taken insufferable to a whole 'nother level. 

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im hearing talks about Ben Bishop to Calgary are heating up between the 2 club... also heard they were after Fleury... for sure the Flames are pushing to get a legit #1 goalie

I'm not sure the Pens are ready to completely give Murray the reins. I think they hang onto MAF and go with him when the season opens. Give Murray a year behind him.

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm not sure the Pens are ready to completely give Murray the reins. I think they hang onto MAF and go with him when the season opens. Give Murray a year behind him.

agreed but the same could be said about Tampa. 

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

You know, I thought that as soon as I posted it. I think Vasilevski might be closer, though.

truth is goalies are sooooo hard to gauge, you can be on top of the world on year than struggle to be top 15 the next season

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

im hearing talks about Ben Bishop to Calgary are heating up between the 2 club... also heard they were after Fleury... for sure the Flames are pushing to get a legit #1 goalie

I thought Rutherford over valued the Flower. It would've solved his problems to trade him now,(Calgary)  before the draft. Now he might get stuck w/ him,( a la Luongo).  And lose him in expansion draft. Cest le vie

i guess Carolina and Detroit are working on a deal for Datsyuk. From what i could gather Detroit we're offering  Tomas Jurco and/or Teemu Pulkkinen. But they are apparently working on a better deal now.... 

There were rumors yesterday teams we're asking for Mantha or Afenasiou... If either of those guys are on the table, I'd hope Shero is involved.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

There were rumors yesterday teams we're asking for Mantha or Afenasiou... If either of those guys are on the table, I'd hope Shero is involved.

Athanasiou would be sick. We don't have enough Greeks in the NHL, it'd be nice to get one here. Never mind the absurd skill this dude has.

It's kinda cool seeing the big free agents sign in places like Florida and Arizona.    

That's a pretty good deal for the Panthers.  They basically replace the hole they were going to have with Campbell's departure with a much younger Campbell.