Jump to content

Around the League 15-16 Edition


devilsrule33

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

...except Ottawa. Who kind of matter in the whole thing. They're a budget team and basically paid the Rangers a 2nd round pick to pay Brassard his July 1st bonus.

 

Zibanejad might not get 5m but he'll sure as heck cost more, in terms of actual dollars paid, than Brassard. Usually AAV is the thing that matters but when you have a team like Ottawa involved, the actual money paid matters a ton.

If Ottawa can't afford the $2MM, then their owners need to think about selling.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Careful budgeting, by Ottawa, should be a means to an end, not THE end. And giving away a 2nd round pick should not be a means to the end of careful budgeting. If I were an Ottawa fan, this would drive me up a wall. They've got it all turned around.

Edited by DJ Eco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Fair enough.  I should have been more careful of my wording.  

Obviously I'm changing the argument here a little but would you argue that Rangers were never bailed out of particularly bad contracts through trade?  You've even stated that you were happy for the team to get out from under the Gomez contract. 

I guess it is just a matter of semantics.  Like I said, to me Toronto and Columbus swapping Horton and Clarkson was a bailout.  Columbus didn't want to have to keep Horton on their cap, but didn't want to pay him on LTIR AND spend to the cap.  Toronto would.  On the otherhand, Toronto obviously wanted out of that Clarkson deal, while Columbus would rather pay Clarkson AND have him play.

Arizona taking Pronger from the Flyers, was a bail-out.  A team taking on a bad contract is not necessarily a bail-out in my mind.  In the same boat with Nash.  Every Rangers fan I know would love to trade Nash.  The thing I keep asking is who will take him?  In my mind, you would have to give a deal like Nash and a first for a pair of 3rd's and a 4th.  Yes, the Rangers are getting out of the contract, but they are also losing a 1st to do so.  I don't follow every team's cap situation, but without looking it up, I think a team like Buffalo could probably make that deal with the Rangers and be ok cap-wise and would love to pick up the extra 1st.  Well, maybe not now, but a year or so ago probably could.

My whole point was just because a team is getting the better end of a deal, it doesn't mean they are getting bailed out.  Brassard's contract was not a bad contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Careful budgeting, by Ottawa, should be a means to an end, not THE end. And giving away a 2nd round pick should not be a means to the end of careful budgeting. If I were an Ottawa fan, this would drive me up a wall. They've got it all turned around.

Melnyk's been doing this for years. Can't wait for when Karlsson's contract is up...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Melnyk's been doing this for years. Can't wait for when Karlsson's contract is up...

Yup, and we were guilty of it too once upon a time. But Lou was never as public, obvious, and unapologetic about an "internal cap". It'd drive me nuts if I were an Ottawa fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I thought this was a fun factoid to post on the day that Brad Richards officially retired: 

Richards finishes his career with $91,837,112 in career earnings to date, plus an additional $14,555,560 over the next 10 yrs from NYR buyout.

True, but Bobby Bonilla is looking at Brad Richards and saying, "1.4 mil for ten years?"  Then he pats him on the head and says, "That's cute, you enjoy that."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isles are apparently in discussions with the Mets about moving to Queens.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-21/nhl-s-islanders-said-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

Idea appears to be to build an arena next door to Citi Field.

Just hope minimal or no taxpayer dollars would be involved.  Otherwise, this would be a good thing for Isles fans and the league in general. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Isles are apparently in discussions with the Mets about moving to Queens.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-21/nhl-s-islanders-said-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

Idea appears to be to build an arena next door to Citi Field.

Just hope minimal or no taxpayer dollars would be involved.  Otherwise, this would be a good thing for Isles fans and the league in general. 

Man, just about everything the Wilpons touch turns to sh!t...I'd be terrified if I was Islander fan because of that fact alone, heh heh.  Hopefully a potential new arena won't be a shrine to the Brooklyn Dodgers...

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Do you guys honestly think they'd entertain building ANOTHER new arena and moving the Islanders again before just relocating the team?

I really can't see yet another arena in this area. There are only so many events that can fill these arenas as it is. If it's all privately funded I wouldn't care but we all know that wouldn't happen anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too do not see this as a great idea.  Like others said 3 arenas already in the area.  

Secondly, Citi is not going to be easy for fans to attend.  Not during the week.  They will have the same issues they had at Nassau Coliseum.  The person who works in the city generally can't get home and then in the car to Queens for a game.  It is a much different animal than the Mets.  The Mets draw from all over the city, LI, I even know a few people in NJ who do attend games.  Islanders?  The greater majority of their fans are in Nassau and Suffolk. Queens despite popular belief is not an Islanders stronghold.  Secondly, the Mets play 81 home games and can get away with lighter crowds during the week.  Islanders?  Not a good idea.  The LIRR for the city worker is not an option.  Citi Field is on the Port Washington line, so their trains do not go through Jamaica.  Penn Station to Woodside, then to the Pt Washington line, which is in Northwest Nassau.  So, anyone not living on the Port Washington line has to go back to Woodside, then get a train to Jamaica, and then likely change at Jamaica to get home.  Could easily be a 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  

HOWEVER, they have begun to tear down some of the buildings (chop shops) out behind right field.  Post 44,810 in this thread shows a pic from the train platform.  I do know when Citi first started going up, there was talking of the city taking the chop shops through eminent domain to develop the area.  Not sure if this is the start or if it doesn't have anything do with it at all.  http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?88673-Citi-Field/page1793

Edited by Matteau#32
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

I too do not see this as a great idea.  Like others said 3 arenas already in the area.  

Secondly, Citi is not going to be easy for fans to attend.  Not during the week.  They will have the same issues they had at Nassau Coliseum.  The person who works in the city generally can't get home and then in the car to Queens for a game.  It is a much different animal than the Mets.  The Mets draw from all over the city, LI, I even know a few people in NJ who do attend games.  Islanders?  The greater majority of their fans are in Nassau and Suffolk. Queens despite popular belief is not an Islanders stronghold.  Secondly, the Mets play 81 home games and can get away with lighter crowds during the week.  Islanders?  Not a good idea.  The LIRR for the city worker is not an option.  Citi Field is on the Port Washington line, so their trains do not go through Jamaica.  Penn Station to Woodside, then to the Pt Washington line, which is in Northwest Nassau.  So, anyone not living on the Port Washington line has to go back to Woodside, then get a train to Jamaica, and then likely change at Jamaica to get home.  Could easily be a 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  

Not good but not completely terrible considering when I used to take the train to the Prudential Center I would take it from the Somerville station.  That alone without delays is about 70ish minutes and cost $22.00 round trip and that's a straight shot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not good but not completely terrible considering when I used to take the train to the Prudential Center I would take it from the Somerville station.  That alone without delays is about 70ish minutes and cost $22.00 round trip and that's a straight shot!

I don't live out there anymore, so no idea what the cost is.  When I moved in 2003, I think it was $10 round trip from anywhere in Nassau to Penn.  Not sure on just to Jamaica.  I took the LIRR from Pt Washington to Shea once for the 99 Play-offs against the Braves.  I didn't live in Port Washington, but it was a Friday Night game and I figured the traffic would be terrible.  Drove to Pt Washington and took train. Easy ride, but not sure how many the Pt Washington station could accommodate.  I could be wrong, but I do not think the parking lot is very big.

They are better off in Brooklyn.  In time, their bread and butter will be the person who works in the City and live on LI.  From Brooklyn, you can get home via LIRR to any station EXCEPT those on the Port Washington line.  The person coming from LI to the game can also take the train.  Plenty of Rangers fans take the train in from LI to games at MSG, Isles fans can do it too.

Edited by Matteau#32
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matteau#32 said:

Does NYCFC really have enough of a following to get it's own stadium/arena?  Was there talk of building them something at Randall's Island?  Thought I remember that story, but I could be wrong.

I'm a red bulls fan but  their crowds have been 30k+ for most of their games. They would do fine with a 25 to 30k soccer stadiun but it's the same problem as to where is it going to be and who is going to pay for it. There's been a bunch of different rumors including next to citi field as well. I think they will be at Yankee Stadium for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm a red bulls fan but  their crowds have been 30k+ for most of their games. They would do fine with a 25 to 30k soccer stadiun but it's the same problem as to where is it going to be and who is going to pay for it. There's been a bunch of different rumors including next to citi field as well. I think they will be at Yankee Stadium for a long time. 

30K?  Wow.  Really thought it was more of a 5-10 type crowd.  I don't follow MLS at all, so really had no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.